Prospect Info: Juha Jatkola - G | 121st Overall | 2023 Draft

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
On the Forecheck:

After trading the 115th pick to the Tampa Bay Lightning for the fourth-round pick next year originally belonging to the Chicago Blackhawks, the Predators' next selection was at 121st. With it, they added overage goalie Juha Jatkola from KalPa of the Finnish Liiga.

Jatkola's statline hasn't looked impressive, though he had a great three-game playoff run this past season. He's excelled in occasional short bursts, like that and his two-game loan to Kärpät in 2021-22. On the other hand, his sv% this past season was .903 over 40 games (the team went 20-11-8).

Without having watched tape or having access to advanced stats yet, I couldn't even begin to guess how much of this is Jatkola's teams providing badly-suited defense for him, but it's clear the Preds saw something they liked in him.

The Elite Prospects scouting reports note that Jatkola is a good skater, not aggressive all the time but capable of making some dramatic saves.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
For what it's worth, KalPa gave 40 out of the 145 goals against them on PK. That was the 5th most goals against on PK league wide and they had the 4th worst PK% (77,40)

They were 5th in the regular season, thought and had a first round exit in 7 games to Pelicans.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
For what it's worth, KalPa gave 40 out of the 145 goals against them on PK. That was the 5th most goals against on PK league wide and they had the 4th worst PK% (77,40)

They were 5th in the regular season, thought and had a first round exit in 7 games to Pelicans.
Since he's overage I wonder if there is any chance he comes on over and is either backup for the Ads or plays for the Glads

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Since he's overage I wonder if there is any chance he comes on over and is either backup for the Ads or plays for the Glads
I hope so. We need another goalie in the AHL and Askarov is gonna get most the starts anyways. Haider is gonna spend another year in NCAA, Vomacka has been bad in the ECHL, and Volkov probably isnt coming over to the US.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Vomacka wasn't qualified, so indeed, we have nobody but Askarov for pros. Obviously we could sign a free agent. But if Jatkola was actually ready, bonus.

And he's actually the same age as Askarov and has already played a full year as a starter against men in Finland, so it shouldn't be that much of a stretch. I guess just depends on how firm his commit is with KalPa.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Vomacka wasn't qualified, so indeed, we have nobody but Askarov for pros. Obviously we could sign a free agent. But if Jatkola was actually ready, bonus.

And he's actually the same age as Askarov and has already played a full year as a starter against men in Finland, so it shouldn't be that much of a stretch. I guess just depends on how firm his commit is with KalPa.
I wonder if he has had any communication with rinne.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

KalPa's goalie coach was interviewed for an article about young promising goalies. I believe the interview was done in April or so, but they knew he's probably drafted due to the intererst towards him and said it remains to be seen what happens. The plan is to have him play for KalPa next season, thought.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
He had his breakthrough season, starting as a backup, but earning his spot as the #1. I guess partially due to the other guy flopping, but still. Now he's no longer the challenger, so there's probably more pressure on him. Another season to see how consistent he is on a starter role might be the best option.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He had his breakthrough season, starting as a backup, but earning his spot as the #1. I guess partially due to the other guy flopping, but still. Now he's no longer the challenger, so there's probably more pressure on him. Another season to see how consistent he is on a starter role might be the best option.
Well, we do happen to have a new European Development coach... who would probably be willing to spend some time working with him back in Finland if he stayed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad