Jovo out 6 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
He and souray were utterly useless in the world championships so I don't think it's that big of a loss. I don't think it's a loss at all if it's a guy like Phaneuf who steps up.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
God I hope McCabe goes down so Phaneuf can go into the taxi squad and Jaybo can play.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For the love of God and any hope for a gold medal, don't put McCabe on the Team
Boyle, Phaneuf and Bouwmeester need to be thought of first

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's a blow, but not a big blow, not as bad as the loss of Niedermayer, or even a Redden, Blake or Pronger would be. When he's on, there isn't a defenceman in the game like Jovo: big, strong, physical, a fluid skater, a great puck move and a heavy shooter. Problem is, he isn't always on. The Jovo brain cramps have become more commonplace. Still, he's always shown an ability to calm down and play a smart game for Canada (Last year's Worlds, when he played for the first time in eight months, being the exception).

McCabe will take his place on the 23-man roster. Dion Phaneuf will move into the taxi squad, although he isn't my pick. Dan Boyle, a winner, a skilled puckmover and our No. 2 defenceman at last year's worlds (after Redden, who was named top defenceman) should be on the taxi squad. Scott Hannan, a defensive and physical force who owned St. Louis and Colorado in the 2004 playoffs, would be my next choice, and then Phaneuf, who is only 20 and will have other tournaments to dominate.

Based on how Jay Bouwmeester has played since the 2004 World Cup, he has no business even getting consideration for a spot.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
McCabe is offensive talented, but he can't play any defense and defense wins championships (And Gold Medals).

Besides Canada has enough talent up front to where a little more offense isn't worth sacrificing solid defensive play

Basically McCabe isn't good enough at Defense to play Defense for Team Canada

Heavy Fuel

I don't think you could go wrong with Phaneuf or Hannan, and it wouldn't be a big step down from the present group. That isn't a knock on Jovo, who has an amazing skill level, or McCabe, who would do fine if paired with one of the other outstanding D-men like Pronger to back him up. Niedermayer can't be replaced as easily, but it's not like the guys being suggested are scrubs.

Phaneuf is young but doesn't play like a rookie. I think if they were doing the selecting today, instead of before the season, Dion at least gets serious consideration.

Hannan would give you solid defense and experience with no gaping flaws in his game. I always like to see a few rocks on the blueline like him.

I haven't seen enough of Boyle this year to judge him adequately and Bouwmeester has never really done it for me.

Feb 24, 2004
McCabe is the best d-man on the powerplay that Canada has.....he can play minimally but on the power play he should be the go to guy.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Leachmeister2000 said:
He and souray were utterly useless in the world championships so I don't think it's that big of a loss. I don't think it's a loss at all if it's a guy like Phaneuf who steps up.
I totally agree. I would like Phaneuf or Bouwmeester to be on the team but I think McCabe is the one going. He's coming back soon. I rather have McCabe than Jovo.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One thing to keep in mind with McCabe is that teams (to my knowledge, based on other international events) can dress seven defencemen. McCabe can therefore be dressed and never set foot on the ice, except when Canada is on the PP or trailing by a goal late in the game. (A situation I hope never materializes).

Frankly, I'd rather have Boyle or Hannan out there than McCabe in even strength situations.

If Niedermayer drops out, it would be a much bigger blow. He and Foote have been the class of the Canadian defence at the last two international events. Nieds was also the best defenceman at the 2004 Worlds, and likely our MVP at the tournament. (Yes, I know Heatley won MVP at that tourney).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Doomsday Device said:
You would think McCabe ran over everyone's dog the way he's treated around here. I for one hope he's healthy enough to be on the team seeing as how he is a good defenceman.

He's not nearly as bad defensively as people think, and I'm hoping he plays so he can prove some people wrong. He's no Lidstrom, but I've actually seen him compared to Andy Delmore on these boards. He's average defensively. No better, no worse.

The difference is that every time he makes a mistake, people jump all over it. He never gets the "well, everyone screws up sometimes" treatment that other high profile defencemen do. (Remember when Pronger put it tape-to-tape to the other team to lose that game earlier this year? OMGz! Cut him!!!1!)

I think he'll do fine, and would be a great fit with Bouwmeester, if circumstances ever warranted it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
AldMan said:
He shouldn't have been selected in the first place. Makes Canada look bad. Same with Bertuzzi. Leave players of poor character at home.

If your talking about McCabe your exactly right :handclap:

Redden Punches Faces*

Phillips>Hannan if you are going that direction.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad