Player Discussion: Josh Morrissey (and Chevy) appreciation thread.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018

I don't think my man Josh gets enough credit.

Think back to your feelings the night he stepped in.

We are so lucky that the Jets had the foresight and scouting to draft a pretty small d-man in the first round.

This guy is a pure competitor. He blocks shots. He routinely plays against the best in the world. Rarely gets caught out of position. And despite his size hardly takes any PIMS.

IMO drafting like this is why the Jets are where they are today.(even Wennberg is super solid)

The Trouba injury sucks.
But his team is deep.

I think JM could be in top D pair on 90% of teams out there

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I totally dig Morrissey. Pretty much everyone totally digs Morrissey. He's kind of a fan fav around here.

I agree he was a great pick, and seems to have been developed properly.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has been great but I wanna see him be more assertive in the offensive zone, he has that in him considering his performance in the juniors.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He's been playing great, extremely solid
He was never our flashiest pick but seems to have worked out great :handclap:

He has been great but I wanna see him be more assertive in the offensive zone, he has that in him considering his performance in the juniors.

I think that's the next step

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I was supporting Morrissey and touting his attributes from the day he was drafted and especially when he was playing on the Moose and many were worried. Some here even declared him a bust! Imagine that happening on HFJets eh?

He is a joy to watch!

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I don't think my man Josh gets enough credit.

Think back to your feelings the night he stepped in.

We are so lucky that the Jets had the foresight and scouting to draft a pretty small d-man in the first round.

This guy is a pure competitor. He blocks shots. He routinely plays against the best in the world. Rarely gets caught out of position. And despite his size hardly takes any PIMS.

IMO drafting like this is why the Jets are where they are today.(even Wennberg is super solid)

The Trouba injury sucks.
But his team is deep.

I think JM could be in top D pair on 90% of teams out there

Morrissey could be the most underrated player in the entire league. No-one's as good at 2-vs-1 against as he is. I can't remember a single goal the opposition has scored when he's been between the attackers in such a scenario.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I really don't think he is under appreciated by anyone on this board , we are all too smart for that . All the media outside of Winnipeg , that's a different story all together . :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Now, let's see... who might have been a really "early adopter" for Morrissey?

From April 14, 2013.... http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/jets-2013-draft-talk-part-2.1395503/page-5#post-63928075

What about Josh Morrissey if the Jets are in the 11-14 draft range? Might not have ideal size, but seems to be a great skater with very good puck skills, and plays with a bit of an edge.

Followed up with a plug for Vesalainen in April, 2017. Hey, Jets' scouts, get outta my head!

Okay, end of shameless self plugs.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I was told by people (not on here mind you) Morrissey was too small and would amount to nothing.
Clearly they were wrong.
Guy has been the Jets best D man all year.

I was also told similar stuff about Scheifele not going to amount to anything by the same people.

I clearly need to meet new people

I know people that told me that too. Same people also used to tell me that Stu was a warrior and made Trouba look good and we needed more guys like him. :laugh:

oldcoot

Jan 25, 2012
Still, the comment "Heaven knows I'm miserable now" was pretty funny when he was drafted.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I Thoroughly support our amateur scouting staff that mostly came from Atlanta
If they came from Atlanta why was their prospect list so weak? I didn't follow the team at all while in Atlanta. Did their GM just not listen to them? Or did they squander a bunch of picks/prospects?
Maybe this just speaks to the Chevy genius that he is able to bring in such a strong prospect pool with the same scouts as Atlanta.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If they came from Atlanta why was their prospect list so weak? I didn't follow the team at all while in Atlanta. Did their GM just not listen to them? Or did they squander a bunch of picks/prospects?
Maybe this just speaks to the Chevy genius that he is able to bring in such a strong prospect pool with the same scouts as Atlanta.

Not all of them came from Atlanta. The staff has grown to twice the size it was in Atlanta. The Atlanta people were kept on for the most part.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Different priorities and TNSE also put more resources into it. Our Scouts now have better tools to do their jobs.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets basically doubled the number of scouts compared to the Atlanta scouting staff. I also think that Chevy did develop criteria for drafting, and he was involved in the discussions leading to the Jets' draft board each year.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I was told by people (not on here mind you) Morrissey was too small and would amount to nothing.
Clearly they were wrong.
Guy has been the Jets best D man all year.

I was also told similar stuff about Scheifele not going to amount to anything by the same people.

I clearly need to meet new people
I don't think any scouts were saying that. Josh always played a big mans game especially in Jr. That being said, Josh (and 55) have both developed beyond what I was expecting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad