Player Discussion Josh Manson

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Any update?

He played in a preseason game.

edit - Article from this morning:

Manson was eager to apply a hit and test his shoulder against opposing players. But not too eager.

“You don’t want to go looking for it obviously,” Manson said. “But you take it when it comes. I put a lot of work into it this summer. I knew it was going to be good.”

Last edited:

xBradathan

May 7, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, Pens fan here. If you haven't noticed, the Pens score a lot of goals but also allow a lot of goals against, which is why we're looking for a top 4ish defenseman. For some reason the Pens and Ducks enjoy doing business since GMJR took over. So I was wondering how you guys would feel about trading Josh Manson. I've heard a few Ducks fans say that they'd like to keep him but they're afraid of losing him for nothing in the expansion draft. I know that he isn't the greatest point producer but he is a steady reliable guy in the defensive zone. If you think your GM would be willing to make a trade, what do you think he'd be looking for in return? Any specific players that stand out on the roster you'd like to have? Or picks?

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Hey guys, Pens fan here. If you haven't noticed, the Pens score a lot of goals but also allow a lot of goals against, which is why we're looking for a top 4ish defenseman. For some reason the Pens and Ducks enjoy doing business since GMJR took over. So I was wondering how you guys would feel about trading Josh Manson. I've heard a few Ducks fans say that they'd like to keep him but they're afraid of losing him for nothing in the expansion draft. I know that he isn't the greatest point producer but he is a steady reliable guy in the defensive zone. If you think your GM would be willing to make a trade, what do you think he'd be looking for in return? Any specific players that stand out on the roster you'd like to have? Or picks?

No need to make a separate thread for this. And he's most likely not available for anything you'd be willing to offer.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

We need top-6 help the most, so not much on the Pens roster stands out well as a one-for-one trade - you guys aren't exactly bleeding forwards either.

Vatanen would be more likely to be exposed in the expansion draft anyway. Manson's skillset is too scarce in our system, while Montour is basically Vatanen a few years ago.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Manson fills an important role and would likely cost more than you're willing to pay up. Many believe that he should be protected over Vatanen. And since we don't want to lose Vats for nothing, he could be available for an equivalent forward but I don't think Pens and Ducks make good trading partners in that regard.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Manson now has 5 goals 10 assists 15 points on the season exactly the same as last season the difference is in 75 games this season to 71 last season. Another thing he is a +11 just like last season.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A deeper look at the Manson-Lindholm pairing

The 25-year old Manson has quite a partner to lean on in 23-year old Lindholm, whom he’s played with the majority of the year as the Ducks most consistent pairing put together by head coach Randy Carlyle by frequency (17.5%). Away from each other this season, each were relatively just above average in terms of the possession meter, with Lindholm at 51.07% in 384 minutes of ice time and Manson at 51.33% in 596 minutes. However, together, that possession rate goes up to 55% in 712 minutes. This follows a pattern from last season under Bruce Boudreau, when the combination racked up a whopping 59.31% Corsi-for percentage together in nearly 800 minutes of ice time, with Manson falling four percentage points in 531 minutes without his partner and Lindholm dropping eight points in 321.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/05...airing-key-in-anaheim-ducks-stanley-cup-push/

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Lindholm and Manson haven't been playing together in the playoffs, so they can't really be the key pairing to a Stanley Cup push, and they are not going to break up Lindholm-Montour with how well they are playing.

Fowler-Vatanen
Lindholm-Montour
Theodore-Manson

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Lindholm and Manson haven't been playing together in the playoffs, so they can't really be the key pairing to a Stanley Cup push, and they are not going to break up Lindholm-Montour with how well they are playing.

Fowler-Vatanen
Lindholm-Montour
Theodore-Manson

agreed. Although I don't understand why RC won't go with Fowler-Manson and Theodore-Vatanen. Fowler-Manson was arguably the best combo we had this season. It's not like Theodore-Manson is that good either.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
agreed. Although I don't understand why RC won't go with Fowler-Manson and Theodore-Vatanen. Fowler-Manson was arguably the best combo we had this season. It's not like Theodore-Manson is that good either.

Manson is probably the only RD we have that can mitigate some of the damage Theo causes defensively is my guess.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
If Bieksa comes back, what are the odds we see;

Fowler / Manson
Lindholm / Montour
Bieksa / Vatanen

?

I'd like to see it and lean on our top 4. But I worry that RC will put Bieksa with Fowler.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Manson is probably the only RD we have that can mitigate some of the damage Theo causes defensively is my guess.

I actually think Vatanen would be as good with Theodore as Manson is. Manson is terrific, but he does have a few boneheaded turnovers some times. I definitely could see the argument/case that Manson is better for Theodore, but it's an easy choice for me because: Fowler-Manson>>>>>>>>>Fowler-Vatanen

If Bieksa comes back, what are the odds we see;

Fowler / Manson
Lindholm / Montour
Bieksa / Vatanen

?

I'd like to see it and lean on our top 4. But I worry that RC will put Bieksa with Fowler.

It sounds like Bieksa is "back". He's just a healthy scratch. Against Nashville, I'm fine with this choice too. Although, if I was sure Carlyle would go with that top 4, I'd be tempted to put Bieksa in over Theodore. I did not see any of game 1, and I didn't see 1st period of game 2, but in 2nd and 3rd; I thought Theodore was fine.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I actually think Vatanen would be as good with Theodore as Manson is. Manson is terrific, but he does have a few boneheaded turnovers some times. I definitely could see the argument/case that Manson is better for Theodore, but it's an easy choice for me because: Fowler-Manson>>>>>>>>>Fowler-Vatanen

It sounds like Bieksa is "back". He's just a healthy scratch. Against Nashville, I'm fine with this choice too. Although, if I was sure Carlyle would go with that top 4, I'd be tempted to put Bieksa in over Theodore. I did not see any of game 1, and I didn't see 1st period of game 2, but in 2nd and 3rd; I thought Theodore was fine.

Game 2 was Theodore's best game defensively probably of the whole playoffs. He was somewhat competent in his own end.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Theodore - Vatanen isn't good enough defensively. Theodore - Manson is better it also has more size to it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Game 2 was Theodore's best game defensively probably of the whole playoffs. He was somewhat competent in his own end.

Yeah I thought he had a decent game...didn't play that much but made reasonably smart decisions when he was out there. He's a great passer he just has to work on finding passing options quicker which should come with experience

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Oh I agree, was more just stating what lines were currently.

Fowler-Manson
Lindholm-Montour
Bieksa/Holzer-Vatanen

Is what I would go with. We have a great top 4 and should load up on it and keep 3rd pairing minutes to a minimum. To not lean on our top 4 would be a massive mistake I feel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->