Recalled/Assigned: Josh Ho-Sang assigned to Bridgeport *Sent Down to BST 12/15*

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I would rather see Beau get some playing time in the AHL as well, because he sure as hell doesn't look ready as of now. Blaming JHS for the terrible PP2 is ridiculous though.

JHS needs to get rid of the puck quicker, all I stated though was I believe if he was placed with better line mates he would have been fared much better. He is no Tavares, he is no Barzal, so I am confused why anybody is treating him as such.
Oh, there is a misunderstanding here. I never said that the setbacks of PP2 were due to Ho-Sang. What I wanted to point out is that his main point to improve (the turnovers/better decision with the puck), could be seen at 5on5 or on the PP. That's why I find it unjust that we blame his teammates for that. For me, they each have their share of blame...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Oh, there is a misunderstanding here. I never said that the setbacks of PP2 were due to Ho-Sang. What I wanted to point out is that his main point to improve (the turnovers/better decision with the puck), could be seen at 5on5 or on the PP. That's why I find it unjust that we blame his teammates for that. For me, they each have their share of blame...

Sure, I can agree with that. Everybody on that line has not played well. I have just found it funny that some posters here have decided to turn on JHS when Beauvillier and Nelson have been downright invisible as well.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Sure, I can agree with that. Everybody on that line has not played well. I have just found it funny that some posters here have decided to turn on JHS when Beauvillier and Nelson have been downright invisible as well.

I think it's because a) HoSang's errors are more mental/discipline and with that there's always an underlying fear those kind of issues can't be corrected and b) his errors are more egregious due to the high risk manner in which he plays. Beauvillier is a conservative player, so his issues have less potential for harm when they do occur and his main problem seems to be strength, which most people perceive as being self-correcting over time. Nelson is who he is, and people know it and accept it. He gets killed on these boards too, but there's not much the Isles can do about it. It's not like they're gonna send him to Bridgeport.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Jhs scratched tonight but he also played 4 in 4 and this was a game on less than 18 hours turnover so they reported it as a rest day and I believe it.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
So send down Beau so HoSang doesn't get his feelings hurt?
It was an (admittedly lame) attempt at humour. Anyway, having a guy on pace for 40+ points repeatedly demoted, when the bottom-6 is all but dead, is weird even considering all flaws in his game. It’s difficult to talk about “developing a young player” without mentioning Beau too – like, you know, it’s difficult to talk about “accountability” without mentioning Chimera dressed for each and every game.

Reactions: YesCubed

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
It was an (admittedly lame) attempt at humour. Anyway, having a guy on pace for 40+ points repeatedly demoted, when the bottom-6 is all but dead, is weird even considering all flaws in his game. It’s difficult to talk about “developing a young player” without mentioning Beau too – like, you know, it’s difficult to talk about “accountability” without mentioning Chimera dressed for each and every game.

Meh, aside from points, the guy became too much liability out there. Say what you want about the other guys--they haven't been good--but there were multiple instances per game where he was doing something stupid with the puck.

I don't think I've ever seen a player frustrate me so much with boneheaded turnovers at inopportune times. I remember one game where there was at least 5 instances where I'm screaming at the TV "WHAT THE f*** ARE YOU DOING HO-SANG?!?!?!?!?UGHHH!!". I have little doubt the coaches and players are doing the same thing.

bad turnovers at inopportune times can be a total morale killer.

"ok we're about to get the puck out of the zone, and we can get off the ice..........AH f*** come on! we needed to get the puck out, and this idiot is futzing around with the damn thing at the blue line!!! Now we're a bunch of tired islanders on the ice, hemmed in the zone, about to get scored on. all because JHS wants to complicate things"

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Meh, aside from points, the guy became too much liability out there. Say what you want about the other guys--they haven't been good--but there were multiple instances per game where he was doing something stupid with the puck.

I don't think I've ever seen a player frustrate me so much with boneheaded turnovers at inopportune times. I remember one game where there was at least 5 instances where I'm screaming at the TV "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING HO-SANG?!?!?!?!?UGHHH!!". I have little doubt the coaches and players are doing the same thing.

bad turnovers at inopportune times can be a total morale killer.

"ok we're about to get the puck out of the zone, and we can get off the ice..........AH **** come on! we needed to get the puck out, and this idiot is futzing around with the damn thing at the blue line!!! Now we're a bunch of tired islanders on the ice, hemmed in the zone, about to get scored on. all because JHS wants to complicate things"
It’s the same with Halak: frustrating to see all those softers, all those momentum killers, but the alternative is Greiss. It’s frustrating to see JHS stickhandling from his own zone and turning the puck over, but the alternative is non-existent bottom-6. What to do?

Reactions: YesCubed

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
I think a reason why Ho-Sang is struggling is partly because of Barzal's emergence. He is trying to hard to be as good as Barzal and to impress. One reason why is seemed to be more confident last year

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
don't even think he is really struggling, he is a solid player and he is deserving of being in the lineup over a few guys who are mainstays, he is average about .5 points a game which is pretty solid for a 21 year old rookie

but I do think seeing a guy like Barzal is probably a blow to a guy like Ho-Sangs ego, I am sure Ho-Sang was thinking he was going to be the guy averaging 1 point per game and in the running for the Calder

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
don't even think he is really struggling, he is a solid player and he is deserving of being in the lineup over a few guys who are mainstays, he is average about .5 points a game which is pretty solid for a 21 year old rookie

but I do think seeing a guy like Barzal is probably a blow to a guy like Ho-Sangs ego, I am sure Ho-Sang was thinking he was going to be the guy averaging 1 point per game and in the running for the Calder

It's not his ppg that is an issue, it is mental decisions (like overstaying shifts, turnovers, not dumping in when he should, defensive lapses, ill advised passes etc etc)... all the talent is there, and he is young so it ijust whether or not he learns to use his head and mature as a player.. A stint here or there in the AHL may be good for him. We haven't seen the last of him by any means but he was hurting us before he got sent down.

Reactions: dood

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
ho-sang is young enough that his bad habits can be coached out of him.....if he is willing to listen.
chimera, clutterbuck, and the rest of the "older" guys have their bad habits ingrained in them and no amount of coaching will change them. they have been doing the same stupid shit for 12, 15, 17 years now...they are beyond hope.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
I think a reason why Ho-Sang is struggling is partly because of Barzal's emergence. He is trying to hard to be as good as Barzal and to impress. One reason why is seemed to be more confident last year

nothing gives a player more confidence than being repeatedly scratched/demoted so a guy with 2 goals in 40 games can play

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

Interesting point and a valid one too. I do believe JHS tries to be more than he is and that is a huge part of his problem. He's got all the tools but hasn't learned how to minimize mistakes and keep his cool. He needs to watch a lot of hockey to see how that can be done..

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If there are two things I'm not worried about with Ho-Sang it's his skill and his confidence, as he has both in spades.

But he needs to be willing to listen when his coaches tell him something. While he could absolutely help this team as is, its better for him and the team in the long run to realize that sometimes the simple play is the right play, and that you need to be 100% committed to playing the game the right way (I.e. Knowing when to dump and chase, knowing when to carry in, proper shift length) in order to be successful at the NHL level.

If he takes this demotion as I'm sure the Islanders hope he is, he will be back a much better player overall then he left.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
He’s scratched today for bport. Is that for a call up or are they ready to ruin this kid?
That's crazy with islanders off this week . Probably just a day off . We did send 3 players down for the week off. Only so many spots .Just a rest day . Just a guess

Or maybe we just traded him to San Jose for Brenden Dillon . Anything is possible as long as owners own, GM's GM, and coaches coach. LGI

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How has he played down there? That's the real question.
Looking at his stats I’d say he’s been pretty okay. 4 goals, 12 assists in 15 games IIRC. My biggest takeaway is he doesn’t shoot enough. Having seen him play in person in BPT 3 times this year and once since he got sent there in December, he always got on the scoresheet. He drives offense and his turnovers have been minimal and of little consequence.

He is going to be a healthy scratch tonight as per Fornabaio’s twitter. It sounds like he had a really bad game against the Marlies last weekend and with Fritz and Beauvillier in town during the bye week Brent Thompson wants to send JHS a message.

Snow may as well trade him now before we ruin another prospect with natural talent. He’ll alwYs be looked at with a jaundiced eye by this organization.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
We treat our most talented players like trash. Why is Ho Sang always the example. its BS.

Reactions: Bood12

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Many scouts, his junior coaches, Hockey Canada, Capuano, Snow, Weight and now Brent Thompson have all had issues with the kids attitude/maturity. At what point is it on the kid?

Now a healthy scratch in the AHL. Yeesh...

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
“Right now, no,” Brent Thompson said. Habits to clean up. It’s about development. Watching from up top, improving a 200-foot game. You can probably sing along. “I look at it as a positive. for him. He’s probably not looking at it the same way.”

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
absolutely killing this kid, between Snow and Thompson, I don't care what faults he has, you mean to tell me he is deserving of getting scratched in Bridgeport? Ho-Sang is either going to demand a trade, or he is going to play with a not so good chip on his shoulder while he is here, and than eventually get traded to another team and be a solid player for them, just you watch, f***ing Snow and Thompson, no one gives a F about you a-holes, it is about the players not your egos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad