Recalled/Assigned: Josh Ho-Sang assigned to Bridgeport *Sent Down to BST 12/15*

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Thought has to be creeping on that Ho-sang may be a "tweener". The player that is to good for triple A but not good enough for the big leagues. Or in this case the AHL to the NHL.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Those stats are nice but when he's skating in circles below his own faceoff dots four times a game and gets trapped, that's on him. Also when he flees the zone super early, that's on him. Those are the bad habits that those numbers do not show.

yet he's still possessing the puck more than any of the other bottom 6 players

Thought has to be creeping on that Ho-sang may be a "tweener". The player that is to good for triple A but not good enough for the big leagues. Or in this case the AHL to the NHL.

Tweeners don't score at a 0.5 PPG pace with 3rd line minutes, sorry.

I see a thread about Ho-Sang has become a, "Yeah, but look at what Beavillier isn't doing" thread.

Beauvillier needs tons of work, but why can't so many fans hold Ho-Sang accountable for his play...? He's a mess of a player right now who's the only player on the team who feels like they should rename the team to the "New York Ho-Sangs." His giveaways are inexcusable, and he had to be sent down before the coaching staff would lose credibility if they truly want to hold players accountable.

Accountability: where Chimera gets a free pass to play bad because he's twice Ho-Sang's age

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think at this point it's a case Islanders believe they have enough offense they need to be more defensively responsible. In that regard Ho sang is the odd man out

Reactions: Lek

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
B

Ho-Sang is a different story. His talent is high...but so was Kabanov's...JHS NEEDS size to play like he does. He needs to be stronger on his skates and stop thinking his way is better. His way might work here and there, but it's not a team effort...it's an individual effort.

Once he overcomes this perception...he'll be amazing...

Not only did Kabanov not produce at the nhl level, he did not produce even at the AHL level.
Kabanov's AHL career high was 9 pts. Poor comparison.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I see a thread about Ho-Sang has become a, "Yeah, but look at what Beavillier isn't doing" thread.

Beauvillier needs tons of work, but why can't so many fans hold Ho-Sang accountable for his play...? He's a mess of a player right now who's the only player on the team who feels like they should rename the team to the "New York Ho-Sangs." His giveaways are inexcusable, and he had to be sent down before the coaching staff would lose credibility if they truly want to hold players accountable.
I posted BEFORE JHS's demotion that I was unhappy with both Beau and JHS's play that both should be demoted .

Not making excuses for JHS's undisciplined play.I am wondering why Beau's disappointing development does not deserve a trip to Bridgeport.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I posted BEFORE JHS's demotion that I was unhappy with both Beau and JHS's play that both should be demoted .

Not making excuses for JHS's undisciplined play.I am wondering why Beau's disappointing development does not deserve a trip to Bridgeport.

A very fair discussion...For the Beauvillier thread.

Not even talking about you per se, but the thread went off the rails towards a Beau vs JHS debate where it felt like those amongst us who refuse to admit Ho-Sang is a tremendously flawed player didn't want to admit that and had to take the angle of, "Well Beau also deserves to be sent down."

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
A very fair discussion...For the Beauvillier thread.

Not even talking about you per se, but the thread went off the rails towards a Beau vs JHS debate where it felt like those amongst us who refuse to admit Ho-Sang is a tremendously flawed player didn't want to admit that and had to take the angle of, "Well Beau also deserves to be sent down."

To me the problem with JHS is while he is a tremendously skilled player he must be placed in a situation where he succeeds. For him last year that was getting top PP minutes, top six minutes, and better line mates as a whole. Beauvillier clearly is not ready for the NHL and Nelson is sleep walking half of the time.

Now unlike Beau, JHS cannot play in a bottom six role like Beau did tonight. His game is not meant for that. When JHS comes back up I would like to see him placed in a situation where he can succeed a bit more. Does he have to deserve it? Absolutely.

I mean it comes down to we either need to get another forward for the third line or keep JHS down until we get him better line mates. Playing with Beau and Nelson is not a recipe for success. JHS has some serious skill, but there are parts of his game that he needs to work on. I am a big JHS fan after last year, but he is hogging it too much (most likely due to his line mates). But here's the thing, even when Barzal was not scoring we NEVER accused him of hogging the puck.

Keeping JHS down right now is better for him and better for the team. Bring him up when the time is right.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
To me the problem with JHS is while he is a tremendously skilled player he must be placed in a situation where he succeeds. For him last year that was getting top PP minutes, top six minutes, and better line mates as a whole. Beauvillier clearly is not ready for the NHL and Nelson is sleep walking half of the time.

Now unlike Beau, JHS cannot play in a bottom six role like Beau did tonight. His game is not meant for that. When JHS comes back up I would like to see him placed in a situation where he can succeed a bit more. Does he have to deserve it? Absolutely.

I mean it comes down to we either need to get another forward for the third line or keep JHS down until we get him better line mates. Playing with Beau and Nelson is not a recipe for success. JHS has some serious skill, but there are parts of his game that he needs to work on. I am a big JHS fan after last year, but he is hogging it too much (most likely due to his line mates). But here's the thing, even when Barzal was not scoring we NEVER accused him of hogging the puck.

Keeping JHS down right now is better for him and better for the team. Bring him up when the time is right.
It has nothing to do with his teammates, but his style of play. Ho-Sang plays this way from the junior ranks, and it was probably like that before. Ho-Sang did not "eat" the puck because he was playing with Nelson or Beauvillier, frankly, it's rather absurd.

And speaking of Beau, him too must be used in a situation where he can be successful, not just JHS. I don't care if he can do the work on a 4th line (with grinders), Beau should not be use there. The Islanders should also send him to the AHL to develop his offensive game.

Reactions: periferal

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It has nothing to do with his teammates, but his style of play. Ho-Sang plays this way from the junior ranks, and it was probably like that before. Ho-Sang did not "eat" the puck because he was playing with Nelson or Beauvillier, frankly, it's rather absurd.

And speaking of Beau, him too must be used in a situation where he can be successful, not just JHS. I don't care if he can do the work on a 4th line (with grinders), Beau should not be use there. The Islanders should also send him to the AHL to develop his offensive game.

It does have to do with his teammates because he was not like this last year. Both his line mates were terrible this year and it shows. Are you going to say he played like that last year when he was the second best player on the team? If he did, fans would not have been so crazy about him going into this season.

The only reason Beau is still on the team is because he can play a bottom six role. That being said he is not good enough to be placed in a top six role yet.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Ho sang doesn't have an effort problem. He skates hard and always back checks hard. His problem is he over handles the puck to much. There is a few plays where i noticed where he could have gotten the puck on net instead just spins or twirls trying to make the perfect play which eventually leads to turnovers. He also always try's to stickhandle out of trouble. Sometimes you have have to just make the simple pass or just get rid of the puck as turnovers at the blue line or neutral zone usually lead to scoring chances the other way. His skill speed even effort is not a question it's the decsion making with the puck that needs to improve.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ho sang doesn't have an effort problem. He skates hard and always back checks hard. His problem is he over handles the puck to much. There is a few plays where i noticed where he could have gotten the puck on net instead just spins or twirls trying to make the perfect play which eventually leads to turnovers. He also always try's to stickhandle out of trouble. Sometimes you have have to just make the simple pass or just get rid of the puck as turnovers at the blue line or neutral zone usually lead to scoring chances the other way. His skill speed even effort is not a question it's the decsion making with the puck that needs to improve.

He's a bad fit on the 3rd line, he needs to be put in offensive situations with other offensive players. He was being counted on be the puck transporter for that line and everyone knew it, including the opposition. I was getting sick of him taking the puck away from the opponent's net only to turn it over, I was getting shades of the sucky Okposo where he would routinely turn it over with the puck going towards our net. It wasn't that stupid toe drag against the boards move that KO would try to pull off, but Ho-Sang's curls had the same effect.

He does need to simplify, but he also needs to be utilized properly.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He's a bad fit on the 3rd line, he needs to be put in offensive situations with other offensive players. He was being counted on be the puck transporter for that line and everyone knew it, including the opposition. I was getting sick of him taking the puck away from the opponent's net only to turn it over, I was getting shades of the sucky Okposo where he would routinely turn it over with the puck going towards our net. It wasn't that stupid toe drag against the boards move that KO would try to pull off, but Ho-Sang's curls had the same effect.

He does need to simplify, but he also needs to be utilized properly.
Problem is there is no room on the top 2 lines right now. Playing with Nelson who is soft and Beauviller who wins no corner battles does not help. Ladd would be a good fit but i wouldn't take him off the second line. Eventually i think you will see Ho Sang on the top line with JT which i think would be a really good fit. Bailey is playing great but i think he's going to demand to much money as they can't pay everyone.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It does have to do with his teammates because he was not like this last year. Both his line mates were terrible this year and it shows. Are you going to say he played like that last year when he was the second best player on the team? If he did, fans would not have been so crazy about him going into this season.

The only reason Beau is still on the team is because he can play a bottom six role. That being said he is not good enough to be placed in a top six role yet.

Blaming linemates for sloppy play. What a joke. I guess we should've sent Tavares down when he was stuck with Brad Boyes.

Oh but wait...Tavares still played well.

Ho-Sang apologists...Just own the fact that he's a very flawed player right now. Doesn't mean he can't be a superstar in the future, but he's very far from that happening right now.

Own that because it's the truth.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Blaming linemates for sloppy play. What a joke. I guess we should've sent Tavares down when he was stuck with Brad Boyes.

Ho-Sang apologists...Just own the fact that he's a very flawed player right now. Doesn't mean he can't be a superstar in the future, but he's very far from that happening right now.

You really have a hard on for Ho-Sang.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Josh Ho-Sang is more talented than the majority of skaters on the Islanders. There is a way to harness that talent. Just as there's a way to get better performance out of Beauvillier than sticking him on the 4th line.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

He needs to simplify his game. He has tremendous skill which is obvious but he still try's things that work in juniors that won't work in the NHL. He is scoring at 0.5 clip which is solid. We love watching Barzal doing those great dekes and twirls but he also moves the puck when it's not there. That is what Josh needs to learn.

Reactions: periferal and MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You really have a hard on for Ho-Sang.

Nah. I have a "hard on" for objectivity and I've been reading way too many apologies for Ho-Sang's flawed. Same people who said it's ok for an 19 year old to be late to practice because he's young...When every other 19 year old (along with everyone else on the team) was on time.

Josh Ho-Sang is more talented than the majority of skaters on the Islanders. There is a way to harness that talent. Just as there's a way to get better performance out of Beauvillier than sticking him on the 4th line.

I usually agree that there's always ways to get more from a player, but not always. Basically you can lead a horse to water...

I mean it Al Arbour coached Oleg Kvasha how much better would he have been? I don't think much. At the same time there are players like Tavares who are great on their own. His hockey sense and drive to be the best on the ice have made him a great player almost from day one.

When a player has great raw skills there's usually 3 outcomes:

1. They put it together their own
2. Sometimes they need coaching
3. And sometimes it doesn't matter what coaching they have...They never put it together

You can put this in my file right now... I WANT JOSH HO-SANG TO REACH HIS POTENTIAL AND BECOME A CONSISTENTLY GREAT PLAYER AS BAD AS ANYTHING, but to sit there and think it's going to happen on it's own (or that it won't happen at all) I think is to ignore what we've seen thus far.

Maybe Weight & co have failed Ho-Sang, or maybe he's failed the team, but given where we are now he needed to be sent down.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He needs to simplify his game. He has tremendous skill which is obvious but he still try's things that work in juniors that won't work in the NHL. He is scoring at 0.5 clip which is solid. We love watching Barzal doing those great dekes and twirls but he also moves the puck when it's not there. That is what Josh needs to learn.

Very well said.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
wow over-reaction.
He is a 21 yr old trying to learn the NHL game. He wasn't a sure fire top 3 pick that was a guaranteed (if there is such a thing) to be a superstar. Some would say if Snow didn't trade into the first round he probably would have been a 2nd round pick that year. That being written only a handful of players picked after him have established themselves as NHL ready players(ie: it is still very early in development stage). And some that were drafted in front of him are this season finding their game, and yet (ugh) some have not even made their NHL debut...
If I remember correctly didn't our leading scorer get sent down in year 3 or 4 of his development?
I think putting him on a line with 53 and 15 would do wonders for him as he would see/learn a work, defensive and determination effort from those veterans.
So to sum up- He has shown enough, he has plenty of time, he will be fine.

Last edited:

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

I think the success of Ho-Sang last year was mostly due to the fact that people did not know him through the league. Now the other teams have adjusted and will now be up to him to do it. Blame his teammates is absurd because Ho-Sang was used in all facets of offensive games (PP, 4on4, 3on3). So what does Nelson or Beauvillier have to do with that? As far as I know, Ho-Sang created turnovers on the PP as well as 5on5 or whatever the situation in which he was used.

As for Beauvillier, he is surely able to play a role of "grinder" on a 4th line, but he should not play there. I would much rather see him play an offensive role in the AHL so that he can develop this facet of his game as much as possible.

Reactions: periferal

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

In what world are we supposed to compare JHS to Tavares? You can make a better point than that, and I expect it from you. I am not blaming Nelson and Beau for JHS sloppy play, but if you somehow think they were HELPING him you are off your rocker. Beauvillier has not looked like anything more than a future third liner at this point in his career, he should've been sent down as well.

While he is flawed, when he is put in the right position he does amazing. Look at last season for my proof. Since they cannot put him in that position as of now they needed to send him down. But don't tact like Nelson and Beau were somehow playing amazing either. They were playing worse than JHS were.

Let's not compare JHS to Tavares though, that is the wrong comparison to be making.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I think the success of Ho-Sang last year was mostly due to the fact that people did not know him through the league. Now the other teams have adjusted and will now be up to him to do it. Blame his teammates is absurd because Ho-Sang was used in all facets of offensive games (PP, 4on4, 3on3). So what does Nelson or Beauvillier have to do with that? As far as I know, Ho-Sang created turnovers on the PP as well as 5on5 or whatever the situation in which he was used.

As for Beauvillier, he is surely able to play a role of "grinder" on a 4th line, but he should not play there. I would much rather see him play an offensive role in the AHL so that he can develop this facet of his game as much as possible.

I would rather see Beau get some playing time in the AHL as well, because he sure as hell doesn't look ready as of now. Blaming JHS for the terrible PP2 is ridiculous though.

JHS needs to get rid of the puck quicker, all I stated though was I believe if he was placed with better line mates he would have been fared much better. He is no Tavares, he is no Barzal, so I am confused why anybody is treating him as such.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I would rather see Beau get some playing time in the AHL as well, because he sure as hell doesn't look ready as of now. Blaming JHS for the terrible PP2 is ridiculous though.

JHS needs to get rid of the puck quicker, all I stated though was I believe if he was placed with better line mates he would have been fared much better. He is no Tavares, he is no Barzal, so I am confused why anybody is treating him as such.

If anything the 2nd PP unit suffers from not having a Lee type in front of the net, wish Nelson could be that guy but his Tampax gets in the way

JHS and Beau need AHL time, not sure what their ceilings are, but playing bottom 6 roles on the contending Isles is going to hurt them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->