Joseph: an Olympian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Looking at most "predict Team Canada" threads, the consensus is among goaltenders that you have Brodeur and Luongo, with either Theodore or Turco (and a few votes for Belfour) as the third man. Now a name that gets no play is Curtis Joseph, and while I'm not a big fan of his, he has been nothing short of outstanding for the Coyotes this year and Wayne has watched it all first-hand. Add to that that his numbers (GAA/svpct) are superior to all of the other eight listed Canadian netminders, and he may have a case for a roster spot.

Who thinks that he plays his way onto the team?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I dont think he will. I think Canada will take a younger goalie to take experience from the 3rd goaltender role.

There's no use taking a 38 year old 3rd goalie when you can take a younger one who can gain some experience from the Olympics?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Joseph play has actually been really good, and he kinda deserves to be there, but he'd just choke again, Joseph can't get it done when the presure is on, which is too bad, I like the guy, but he's not gold medal material.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Oh please Lord not Joseph! yeah he may not get any action but imagine Broduer and Luongo going down to injury, can you picture Joseph in there in the Gold medal game? It can happen. He's not a championship goalie! He may be the best goalie ever to play in the first round of the playoffs, but after that he chokes! Josph has had somevery bad Game 7s in his life ('93, '01) and his play in the World Cup in '96 was pretty bad in the third game. I just hope they pick Theo

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
12# Peter Bondra said:
There's no use taking a 38 year old 3rd goalie when you can take a younger one who can gain some experience from the Olympics?

Well that's exactly what happened in 2002.

While I might be a little crazy, I think Joseph will make this team, if he can sustain his play until December 22nd. He has been outstanding this year, and the fact that he has been at the last two Olympics (although he never played in 1998, and played terribly in 2002) and plays for Wayne Gretzky counts for something.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Well that's exactly what happened in 2002.

While I might be a little crazy, I think Joseph will make this team, if he can sustain his play until December 22nd. He has been outstanding this year, and the fact that he has been at the last two Olympics (although he never played in 1998, and played terribly in 2002) and plays for Wayne Gretzky counts for something.
I agree he's got a shot .

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Joseph never plays well in the playoffs, and Team Sweden made him look like a chump in Salt Lake. I hope he stays home!

NewBreed19

I think Joseph will make the team based on the way he has played this season, which is what counts in my mind. I would like to see the two goalies with over 400 nhl wins take the two goaltender spots . Joseph has played great and should be on Team Canada's roster . He faces over 30 shots per game and looks great stopping them. He has outright out played Martin Brodeur this season and Turco also!! I say he deserves it.
:handclap:

espo*

The three goaltenders i'd pick right now are Brodeur(who has to get it together) Luongo and Belfour.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
I'd like to see Belfour or Joseph as I think experience from the 3rd string goalie can help to play a leadership role just being around the team. Belfour played that part last time and may not be intrested in the role again so would not be surprised to see Joseph if he keeps playing the way he has up to selection time.

For what it's worth I don't think experience as a non-dressed player counts for much at these things so not really a fan of sending a young guy.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
i agree with both sides on this issue -- Joseph is a classic choker; but he's also playing the best of any of the keepers on the list.

eets a quandry!

is there any hope Hasek will change citizenship?!

:)

espo*

LannysStach said:
i agree with both sides on this issue -- Joseph is a classic choker; but he's also playing the best of any of the keepers on the list.

eets a quandry!

is there any hope Hasek will change citizenship?!

:)
I think we may have to "lean" on Dom a little bit.He's playing well,he's a legend.Vokoun may start but i doubt he ends..............Hasek is likely to take over sooner rather then later.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Wait....

Brodeur and Luongo have average years, and they're still #1 and #2.

Theodore is having an average year too, and no more seems #3, according to posters.

Turco is the best of the 4 guys and is still poised to be #4.

Why Cujo would take the place of the younger guy (Theodore) and not the older (Brodeur)?!?!?! And why bring a 38 yo to warm bench?

Basically, Theodore and Luongo can't be left of the team this year as it's highly likely that those 2 guys will be #1 and 2 in Vancouver.

So if Theodore is left in favor of, someone, I really hope it's Turco, not Joseph.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
If he keeps playing well, maybe. His coach, I don't know if you've ever heard of this guy, Gretzky or something, I think he has some pull with the Olympic team. Or so I'm told.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
You also have to go with the hot hand. Right now Joseph is playing better than any other Canadian goalie in the league. Of course that doesn't mean that he will be the #1 starter but I would definitely pick him ahead of Thedore and Belfour who are having very average season thus far.

Not worried about Luongo. Still doing very well playing behind one of the worst teams in the league.

Brodeur? Surprised he has played so poorly. He will be on the roster regardless due to his international experience but the #1 spot certainly isn't guranteed.

:teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad