Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Watching Morrow pitch always makes me wonder what could have been had he not endured injuries. He had an elite/ace type of arm. Loved watching him pitch when he was a Jay.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Watching Morrow pitch always makes me wonder what could have been had he not endured injuries. He had an elite/ace type of arm. Loved watching him pitch when he was a Jay.

If we all remember, the Jays organization wanted to convert him to a reliever when they had him. But he refused to switch at the time. For obvious reasons based on his performance in that role, the Jays weren't incorrect with their thinking. Would have been a great arm for us had he not jumped ship. Things happen nothing we can do now. Glad things are working out for him.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If we all remember, the Jays organization wanted to convert him to a reliever when they had him. But he refused to switch at the time. For obvious reasons based on his performance in that role, the Jays weren't incorrect with their thinking. Would have been a great arm for us had he not jumped ship. Things happen nothing we can do now. Glad things are working out for him.

To be fair to Morrow, he was still in his prime, and wanted to make a go of it as a starter. He just couldn't stay healthy. The Mariners had also bounced him back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen, and he likely wanted to avoid that as well. Its nice to see him get so many appearances after a couple lost seasons.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Good for Morrow I am glad he has found his niche. He is a FA this off season, would be a welcomed addition to the bullpen with a chance to start as depth. Wonder if he comes and if the Jays would be interested?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The third base coach waved him home, with the ball already in the infield. That should be a firing offense, win or loss, lol.

Had to be one of the worst sends i have ever seen.

-----

Nunez would be my ideal target if he is 100% healthy. I dont like how he finished the season health wise but could be your ideal backup infielder, OF and 2B if Travis is hurt.

I personally dont see the Jays paying the price to get a guy like Ozuna or Yelich. It has never been Shapiro's MO to trade multiple top prospects for a player. Though i do keep in mind that was because they were under tighter payroll constraints but in the end of season presser Atkins said he still isnt happy with this minor league depth so i doubt he trades much from the pool.

Two players i see them having a lot of interest in are Brantley and Kipnis. Two players the Indians are rumored to want to move due to salary commitments. Last year the Indians had an OD payroll of 120M, if they pickup Brantley and Tomlin's options they would be sitting at 133M. If they pick up Logan's then it is 139M (i expect them to decline Logan's 7M option). So their payroll is expected to be 13M more without any improvements. I expect the Indians to use Chisenhall, Zimmer and Naquin in the OF, maybe pursing a cheaper option like a Bautista. I am sure they would like to keep Kipnis as they have a need but they moved him to CF to get Urshela in the lineup and might have Diaz ready. Kipnis is owed 30M over 2 years or 47M over 3 years if they pick up his option. Brantley is owed 11M for 1 year if the Indians pick up his option. Both are LH hitters and can get on base at a good rate if you disregard their injury plagued seasons. Im sure Kipnis would be an easy get due to that contract and maybe even Brantley due to his injury history (not sure if we want more of that). I see the Indians wanted to move Gomes contract with Mejia close to making an impact.

McCutchen is another player i see them having a lot of interest in but i think the price might be outside of their comfort zone.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'd be down for Brantley if they don't exercise his option. My utility man of choice is Adam Frazier via trade, so I would be calling Pittsburgh. No interest in McCutchen, but I could see Marte being available after a disastrous season.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Brantley-Pillar-Hernandez wouldnt be bad with Alford waiting in the wings. Got to think one of Puig or Pederson can be had... like them as well.

Frazier is a good target for utility. Pirates always like those kind of players though so might be a hard sell.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If we somehow could get both Kipnis and Brantley in a trade with the Tribe that would be awesome. We may need to trade someone off our roster to make it happen. This trade could be something like the Alomar-Carter capture from SD some years ago. We gave up McGriff and Fernandez. What would be a comparable.

Kipnis
Brantley

for

Travis
Pierce
Prospect

Brantley and Travis are both injury risks. Pierce and prospect for Kipnis

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Brantley-Pillar-Hernandez wouldnt be bad with Alford waiting in the wings. Got to think one of Puig or Pederson can be had... like them as well.

Frazier is a good target for utility. Pirates always like those kind of players though so might be a hard sell.

If we ever got Brantley in a deal and somehow traded Morales that OF would be Brantley-Pillar-FA.

We would acquire another OF with speed and pop to replace slow footed Morales and his production. Maybe Bruce or CGozanlez!!!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If we somehow could get both Kipnis and Brantley in a trade with the Tribe that would be awesome. We may need to trade someone off our roster to make it happen. This trade could be something like the Alomar-Carter capture from SD some years ago. We gave up McGriff and Fernandez. What would be a comparable.

Kipnis
Brantley

for

Travis
Pierce
Prospect

Pearce is also an injury risk

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If we ever got Brantley in a deal and somehow traded Morales that OF would be Brantley-Pillar-FA.

We would acquire another OF with speed and pop to replace slow footed Morales and his production. Maybe Bruce or CGozanlez!!!

I don't think replacing Travis makes a whole lot of sense. It makes more sense to add depth to the middle infield to give Travis and Tulo more time off and offer a reasonable backup plan behind them.

Also, Bruce and Gonzalez don't have speed. I mean... sure, compared to Morales they do, but compared to most players they don't. If you've already added one OF, there's not much point in targeting another because Hernandez clearly deserves a shot and they have several other young guys who are close to ready.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Kipnis
Brantley

for

Travis
Pierce
Prospect

Hard no. Also makes no sense from Cleveland's perspective.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Am I the only one that has a hard time being interested in baseball after the 1st round? I'm sure there will be good games in the ALCS/NLCS and World Series but I probably won't watch much of it.

Obviously it was easy to be interested the last couple seasons with the Jays involved but i just find myself uninterested after such a long season of baseball. With all the other sports going on I find it hard to really care much about who wins the world series right now.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Plus, in an Alomar/Carter type deal, the Jays have to be the ones acquiring the budding young star with multiple years of control.

Brantley's option likely doesn't even get picked up, so you're trading essentially just for Kipnis. God knows who the hypothetical prospect is? Without the prospect, its too much.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Brantley's option likely doesn't even get picked up, so you're trading essentially just for Kipnis. God knows who the hypothetical prospect is? Without the prospect, its too much.

Yeah... and given the season Kipnis just had... woof. He probably bounces back, and I would still happily take a chance on the $30.5 million he's owed, but the risk is pretty obvious, especially when you're giving up a cheap alternative (granted, one with a hell of an injury history) in order to take it.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah... and given the season Kipnis just had... woof. He probably bounces back, and I would still happily take a chance on the $30.5 million he's owed, but the risk is pretty obvious, especially when you're giving up a cheap alternative (granted, one with a hell of an injury history) in order to take it.

Its a decent bet that could pay off for a franchise, but I'd say an even better bet is the cost controlled kid with a higher ceiling has a couple full healthy seasons prior to 30. Would rather spend an asset on a Frazier type that can fill in at multiple positions (SS/2B/LF/RF/3B) for cheap. That's if we're spending prospect capital, of course.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Am I the only one that has a hard time being interested in baseball after the 1st round? I'm sure there will be good games in the ALCS/NLCS and World Series but I probably won't watch much of it.

Obviously it was easy to be interested the last couple seasons with the Jays involved but i just find myself uninterested after such a long season of baseball. With all the other sports going on I find it hard to really care much about who wins the world series right now.

I have no interest in investing four hours of my time to watch a game involving zero teams I have a rooting interest in.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
lol, after Aaron Judge finished the season: "herp a derp derp, so much for the ASG ruining peoples' swings. Look at him go."

Joe Buck on Judge's struggles in the playoffs: "The ASG ruins peoples' swings. Look at Aaron Judge scuffling in the playoffs."

It's fun watching Buck flounder and flail to sound relevant and smart.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Look at the crowd at the begining of the game at Yankee Stadium. Doesn't even feel like a playoff game to me. Our crowd was rocking in both game 3s of the ALCS last 2 years. Can't even compare.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Good for Morrow I am glad he has found his niche. He is a FA this off season, would be a welcomed addition to the bullpen with a chance to start as depth. Wonder if he comes and if the Jays would be interested?

I'd love to have him in the pen next season. There is also former Jay that I'd bring in to the pen aswell, Dustin McGowan.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'd love to have him in the pen next season. There is also former Jay that I'd bring in to the pen aswell, Dustin McGowan.
I would be all for bringing McGowan back. He was actually a target of mine both in the offseason and the deadline. He was very good for Miami up until the final month or two I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad