Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The more I see instant reply in baseball, the less I like it. A long time ago I was a firm proponent of: "Use the technology to make sure the call is right." But, after seeing it in practice for a few years now, there are just two many examples of it not being clear, which leads to confusing and bizarre outcomes.

I'm at the point where I want to see extreme limits on the use of replay. Scoring plays only (homeruns and plays at the plate) and one manager challenge per game and that is it. No extra challenges if one is successful and no umpire challenges.

The whole point of replay was to eliminate the whole: "Horrible call by umpire costs X Team game/pennant/series/etc." But instead, we're now seeing: "Bizarre call by replay official costs X Team game/pennant/series/etc."

Yep. I think the replay is a good idea, but the current implementation is still broken. Not only do the league calls on close plays appear to be arbitrary, but you have managers slowing down the game by asking the ump to wait for their boys to review the play 10 times a game before they decide to challenge.

I would almost want to get rid of the managers challenge all-together. Keep the ump challenge for the bigger calls (like fans reaching over the fence and turning a double into a HR) or two umps seeing a big call different ways, but if we're talking about challenging plays where a runner might have been 2 centimeters off the bag, which the league gets wrong half the time with the replay regardless...those can go.

I think the NHL nailed it with the rule adjustment this year - if a coach challenges and gets it wrong, that's a 2 minute penalty. Keeps us from seeing those immaterial skate-blade off-side replays, but still allows coaches to challenge the obvious mistakes. Sadly, there's probably no similar punishment mechanic available in baseball.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Do you get paid for these internship programs with the org. I know some org do pay and others do not.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Washington must have really pissed off the sports gods something fierce for this to happen to their pro sports teams in the playoffs.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
So apparently the Marlins are intending to cut their payroll to $90 million. It was projected to be $140 million in 2018. Would be nice to grab a guy like Dee Gordon if the cost isn't high. I wouldn't assume getting Ozuna or Yelich on the cheap is a possibility.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
So apparently the Marlins are intending to cut their payroll to $90 million. It was projected to be $140 million in 2018. Would be nice to grab a guy like Dee Gordon if the cost isn't high. I wouldn't assume getting Ozuna or Yelich on the cheap is a possibility.
A guy like Ozuna you'd have to think Bichette would have to be included at the very least.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Look at that Derek Jeter. What a winner. He knows what you need to do to win. And that's prove that you don't need money.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Interesting. They'll probably look at getting a big haul for Stanton and save ~$25MM in '18 alone right there. Gordon I like fine enough, but only at a relatively cheap acquisition price.

Ozuna is a no go likely because he's just entering Arb-2, and will be pretty affordable compared to his output. Yelich will be relatively cheap in at $7MM. Bour and Realmuto are also cheap in their first and second runs through Arb, IIRC.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
A guy like Ozuna you'd have to think Bichette would have to be included at the very least.

For Ozuna, they'd open their ask with Guerrero. Ditto for Yelich. They'd settle at Bichette as a centerpiece after negotiations, but that's still too much considering the rest of the package would require some quality pieces.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I wonder if the Marlins would have interest in Devon Travis. He's cheap and has good potential. Possibly a trade candidate for them later on if he were to get healthy for a stretch of time.

I'm not sure how many teams will be out there lining up to take on that Dee Gordon contract. He's a nice player but with todays generation of player evaluation you see the limitations in a guy that has zero power and doesn't take many walks.

Assuming the Marlins have interest in a Travis for Gordon swap i'd want a sweetener in there. Probably a decent one as well because at worst that deal is a straight salary dump for them. This is where we could possibly squeeze them for Yelich if we added a decent prospect of 2. Hopefully Atkins would be able to identify a prospect they covet. Maybe even Hernandez.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
It seems a lot of people are underestimating how much Christian Yelich will cost in a trade.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Whoa.. I didn;t know this..

Rowdy Tellez - 1B (Round 30, 2013)
- Spent the entire year with Triple-A Buffalo, his first action at the AAA level…Struggled to start the season, batting .194 in April before reaching .228 on May 11th, only to see his average dip to .203 to start July and .199 at the end of the month.
- Spent the first half of the season with the knowledge that his mother was dealing with melanoma…Received word that her cancer was in remission in August, then batted .311 in the month with 8-XBH and 14-RBI while drawing 12 walks (.388 OBP, .776 OPS).

https://www.canadianbaseballnetwork...t-of-blue-jays-prospects-1?platform=hootsuite

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Any trade for Yelich (or Ozuna) starts with Bichette or Guerrero. I can't see them getting either of them without moving one of those two prospects.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Really? Cause so far the posts have said " i wouldnt imagine getting yelich cheap" and "talks would prop start with guerrero"

I know DJQ said that but other people seem to think that he will go for cheap, or that he can be had for some prospects like Teoscar Hernandez "unless I'm reading that one wrong." I also hearing it around Jays fan sites, it just seems like some jays fans don't understand that he would easily cost Bichette+. Christian Yelich is like Adam Eaton last year but has a longer track record.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I know DJQ said that but other people seem to think that he will go for cheap, or that he can be had for some prospects like Teoscar Hernandez "unless I'm reading that one wrong." I also hearing it around Jays fan sites, it just seems like some jays fans don't understand that he would easily cost Bichette+. Christian Yelich is like Adam Eaton last year but has a longer track record.
Anyone who believes that Yelich can be had for relatively cheap is horribly misinformed and likely rely on TSN for their "insider information". Yelich has the potential to become an elite outfielder. However, despite the price, I would still give Miami a call.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Marlins only have $85 mil committed next year. If (when) they trade Stanton, they get down to $60 mil, and even with all the arbitration cases they have, they should stay well under that threshold. I don't see a fire-sale there beyond Stanton.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Blue Jays made some significant changes in their organization on Thursday, letting over 20 people go from their positions. Among them, the strength coach, as well as the assistant trainer, which could be more significant than it appears.

It’s pretty clear that Ross Atkins and Mark Shapiro wanted to make some changes to the Blue Jays’ organization this offseason, and they haven’t wasted any time in getting things started. They let Jose Bautista know that his option would be declined with two weeks remaining in the season, and now they’ve made some sweeping changes in the training staff and PR departments, among other areas.

https://jaysjournal.com/2017/10/13/84497/

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
https://jaysjournal.com/2017/10/13/blue-jays-middle-infield-targets-via-free-agency/

There isn’t a whole lot of intriguing free agent options at both 2nd base or shortstop. Below is a list of free agent second basemen and shortstops that don’t have any club or player options attached to them:

• Top Target in general: Eduardo Nunez
  • Full-Time 2nd baseman: Neil Walker
  • Cheaper Route: Howie Kendrick or Trevor Plouffe

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Tommy la stella would be an under rated pick up. He doesnt get full playing time with the cubs but puts up very solid numbers the last 3-4 years.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Marlins only have $85 mil committed next year. If (when) they trade Stanton, they get down to $60 mil, and even with all the arbitration cases they have, they should stay well under that threshold. I don't see a fire-sale there beyond Stanton.

I don't expect that Dee Gordon will be there next season either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->