Player Discussion Jordan Weal: To Russia With Love... (Weal To Sign in KHL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
or MB's plan to make the identity of the team "speed and character", and who cares about skill, made no sense whatsoever from the get go - as was obvious to anyone except he and Geoff.

It says a lot about MB, Weal was on his 3rd NHL team in one season, goes on a hot streak with us in 16 games so MB gives him 2.8M over 2 years. Like what in the actual f*** do he ever do in his career to deserve that much money. I know it's not a big deal since over 1M didn't count against the cap this year but this year was Weal, last year Peca. You have Alzner getting almost 4M to sit on his couch.

What bothers me most is where is Molson in all of this, seeing KK in the press box, Galchenyuk was almost out of the NHL this time last year, Mete playing well on the Sens and rumored to be getting a contract from them, Sergachev only 6 players taken from the '16 draft have more pts then him, all forwards. 3 head coaches fired under MB in the last what 3-4 years. How many mistakes does he have to make before Molson does something about it?

Reactions: BobbyShehan

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It says a lot about MB, Weal was on his 3rd NHL team in one season, goes on a hot streak with us in 16 games so MB gives him 2.8M over 2 years. Like what in the actual f*** do he ever do in his career to deserve that much money. I know it's not a big deal since over 1M didn't count against the cap this year but this year was Weal, last year Peca. You have Alzner getting almost 4M to sit on his couch.

What bothers me most is where is Molson in all of this, seeing KK in the press box, Galchenyuk was almost out of the NHL this time last year, Mete playing well on the Sens and rumored to be getting a contract from them, Sergachev only 6 players taken from the '16 draft have more pts then him, all forwards. 3 head coaches fired under MB in the last what 3-4 years. How many mistakes does he have to make before Molson does something about it?

Molson could care less; the money is still coming in and Bargain Bin keeps the media happy...Molson probably has to be reminded that he's the Big Cheese...

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

And as you said, the Weal blunder only cost us 300k against the cap, because about 1.1M comes off when he's sent down. But the Byron "speed and character", who cares about skill and size, blunder is another one that is still costing us on the cap.

First MB goes with "character, who cares about skill", and totally wrecks the team with the Alzner signing and letting Radulov and Markov walk, etc...

Then, the next year he goes with"speed and character" with weal, cousins, peca, byron, domi, etc... we just miss the playoffs when we have no injuries, but crash the next year when we do.

So then we come to this year. MB decides we need to get bigger, so he builds a big defense - with no skill.

He still hasn't realized the importance of skill and talent, after all this time. I have no idea how Goeff doesn't see that as precluding any kind of meaningful success, to answer your question.

Reactions: montreal

Jul 6, 2016
I think Weal should had spent the season with the Habs. He is a good bottom-six C or RW, or even on the taxi squad instead of Frolik. Too bad Julien had that bad idea of putting him on PP. Otherwise, the guy is a fine hockey player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Weal should had spent the season with the Habs. He is a good bottom-six C or RW, or even on the taxi squad instead of Frolik. Too bad Julien had that bad idea of putting him on PP. Otherwise, the guy is a fine hockey player.

at 1.4M(cap hit, his salary was 1.5M) the Habs couldn't fit him in, we ended up with about 300K in cap space which wouldn't even cover the performance bonuses if they all got paid out (which they won't but some of it will)

I certainly wouldn't call him a fine hockey player though. I'd rather have Leks, Byron, Evans on the 4th line then him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Weal was where he belonged. He did a lot more for the Rocket than he would have done for the Habs. He was a key piece to Laval's success this year.

Jul 6, 2016
at 1.4M(cap hit, his salary was 1.5M) the Habs couldn't fit him in, we ended up with about 300K in cap space which wouldn't even cover the performance bonuses if they all got paid out (which they won't but some of it will)

I certainly wouldn't call him a fine hockey player though. I'd rather have Leks, Byron, Evans on the 4th line then him.

He could had been better than Frolik for sure. But I understand the cap problem. But Habs have many injured players thru the season and it would had made the Staal acquisition irrelevant.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He could had been better than Frolik for sure. But I understand the cap problem. But Habs have many injured players thru the season and it would had made the Staal acquisition irrelevant.

I don't know if they had Weal that they wouldn't have gone for Staal as they clearly were hoping that they were getting last seasons Staal and took the gamble. I still think they would have had they been able to work out the cap but we'll never know. I just don't think too much of Weal, he's in the Terry, Carr, Hudon mold imo. Really solid AHLer, bubble NHLer.

What I'm most interested in is what was the deal MB thought he had in place when he put Mete on waivers, if the rumors are true. I had to be a blueliner but I wonder who and what happened for the deal to fall through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad