Confirmed with Link: Jordan Subban traded for Nic Dowd

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Just another completely pointless trade made in the hopes of keeping playoff chances alive. No reason to really trade Subban at this point. He was still RFA status and developing into at least a useful AHL player. If you do trade him you trade him for a center of similar age and situation...unlikely to be a NHL regular but a good farm guy.

Just another example of the myopic view Benning takes. Must be playoffs! Who cares if I add in another AHL veteran to the mix in an organization that is already having trouble dealing with the overabundance of AHL vets I need playoffs!

Just another piece of evidence that the pro scouting is terrible.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just another completely pointless trade made in the hopes of keeping playoff chances alive. No reason to really trade Subban at this point. He was still RFA status and developing into at least a useful AHL player. If you do trade him you trade him for a center of similar age and situation...unlikely to be a NHL regular but a good farm guy.

Just another example of the myopic view Benning takes. Must be playoffs! Who cares if I add in another AHL veteran to the mix in an organization that is already having trouble dealing with the overabundance of AHL vets I need playoffs!

Just another piece of evidence that the pro scouting is terrible.

Agree. It’s less about moving Subban - he clearly wasn’t in the team’s plans and I’m not sure he’s any real loss at this point - and more about the fact that they actually saw Dowd as a player worth acquiring. Even if he was 100% free it’s ridiculous that our pro scouting looked at him and said “This guy could make our team better.”

Reactions: Jack Burton

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
People will always find something to complain about. Subban was nothing special, he was never going to make the NHL. His defensive game was simply too weak

You also have an AHL team to put players on and you don't expect every player on that team to have a NHL future. I mean I know Benning has no idea he has a farm team but fans should. And players that may not have a NHL future can still be an asset in the AHL...especially if they aren't considered an AHL veteran. Sure it's not huge value or anything and by and large to the big club Subban isn't a true loss. I get that. But to the organization it is a loss so the guy coming back better compensate for that loss. Dowd as yet another veteran in the vein of Megna and Chaput doesn't really do that.

Reactions: Jack Burton

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Sure be nice to be psychic.

Pickard cleared waivers then the knights traded him to the leafs. A week later they start losing their goalies.
Kero and Graovac were on waivers the same day the Canucks traded for Dowd. McKegg was on waivers the day before. Ryan Carpenter is on waivers today.

It's really not hard to acquire AHL centers without giving up anything. No psychic abilities required.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Kero and Graovac were on waivers the same day the Canucks traded for Dowd. McKegg was on waivers the day before. Ryan Carpenter is on waivers today.

It's really not hard to acquire AHL centers without giving up anything. No psychic abilities required.

Maybe Dowd is not considered an Ahl center? LA did not waive him. He played 70 nhl games last year. He is maybe Gaunce level? Not great but plys role. Problem is he cannot be in lineup with Chaput and Gaunce etc.. At most have two low no goal guys.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Maybe Dowd is not considered an Ahl center? LA did not waive him. He played 70 nhl games last year. He is maybe Gaunce level? Not great but plys role. Problem is he cannot be in lineup with Chaput and Gaunce etc.. At most have two low no goal guys.
Well he certainly looks like an AHL center. I'm really struggling to understand Dowd's value in the NHL. Gaunce, Chaput, Kero, McKegg, and Carpenter can at least kill penalties. Apparently Dowd is supposed to offer some playmaking talent, but he's less effective than Burmistrov. Consistently putting his team shorthanded while playing limited minutes doesn't help either.

What do you think happens to Dowd once everyone is healthy? Do you think he's one of the Canucks top 13 forwards?

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dowd is a career minor-leaguer - a skill AHL center who ended up playing a full season on the cap-screwed Kings last year. Scored 20 points based on the amount of offensive reps and PP time he received.

We seem to have acquired him as a checking center, but he's a poor defensive player who was getting 70% offensive zone starts in LA last year and who didn't kill penalties.

Better defensive players (Kero) were available on waivers at the same time and Burmistrov is a better offensive/two-way player on the team right now.

What a pointless waste of a prospect.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
Dowd is a career minor-leaguer - a skill AHL center who ended up playing a full season on the cap-screwed Kings last year. Scored 20 points based on the amount of offensive reps and PP time he received.

We seem to have acquired him as a checking center, but he's a poor defensive player who was getting 70% offensive zone starts in LA last year and who didn't kill penalties.

Better defensive players (Kero) were available on waivers at the same time and Burmistrov is a better offensive/two-way player on the team right now.

I don't think they viewed him as a checking centre, they view him as a Burmistrov replacement.

If they did view him as a checking centre they have some serious problems with player evaluations.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Apparently we're looking at moving Burmistrov, which is baffling to me. He's been shafted here and has largely looked better than Gagner imho.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Apparently we're looking at moving Burmistrov, which is baffling to me. He's been shafted here and has largely looked better than Gagner imho.

he has been awful and might be the softest nhl player i have ever seen. he makes gagner look like a selke candidate.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Nice to see the occasional positive post in here; the guy has barely played 15 minutes for us and he's already a whipping boy to many. He's already played more NHL games for us than Subban ever would have so there's that...

Reactions: Nomobo

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Nice to see the occasional positive post in here; the guy has barely played 15 minutes for us and he's already a whipping boy to many. He's already played more NHL games for us than Subban ever would have so there's that...
If he played well, he would receive positive comments. He also has a track record of being an AHL/NHL tweener. I’m willing to give him some time to adjust but he hasn’t shown any real NHL ability to me.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Burmistrov has shown little. If the ultimate play is swapping Subban for Dowd and then swapping Burmistrov for a late draft pick then it's all evens out in a useless kind of way.

What's more likely is that Burmistrov gets waived, which circles back to the original point that players of this level are available on waivers consistently.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
he has been awful and might be the softest nhl player i have ever seen. he makes gagner look like a selke candidate.
In the instances I've seen he's been more physical, more of a threat offensive, and smarter than Gagner. Gagner has done nothing, to quote resident sage Brendan Gaunce he's one of the types who "hustle all game and get nothing done"

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
In the instances I've seen he's been more physical, more of a threat offensive, and smarter than Gagner. Gagner has done nothing, to quote resident sage Brendan Gaunce he's one of the types who "hustle all game and get nothing done"

i dislike the game of both players so i am not sure if it is worth debating which is worse. i will concede i like burmi's contract a lot better.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If he played well, he would receive positive comments. He also has a track record of being an AHL/NHL tweener. I’m willing to give him some time to adjust but he hasn’t shown any real NHL ability to me.

He's certainly shown more than Subban and we're short on centers. For Subban to be "an AHL/NHL tweener" he would have to play a lot better than he has. I say this trade is a (very minor) win for us.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He's certainly shown more than Subban and we're short on centers. For Subban to be "an AHL/NHL tweener" he would have to play a lot better than he has. I say this trade is a (very minor) win for us.

Getting a player as poor as Dowd has been is never a win since he actually hurts you when he’s on the ice. At least Subban wasn’t doing us any harm down in Utica. Dowd has been a negative so far.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad