Jordan Stall vs. Benoit Pouliot

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Senor Rational, May 5, 2006.

1. Senor Rational

Senor Rational Registered User

Carwash Tech
    First starters, I hope i spelt Pouliot right... :dunno:

Anyways, I just wanted some opinions. Both are pretty good prospects but how do the two fair up against each other both in the OHL, nhl prospect terms, style, etc...?

2. HFNHL Canadiens

HFNHL Canadiens Registered User

student
    HAHAHAHAHA !!!

You spelt Pouliot right........

3. Champ

Champ Registered User

Is Staal not Stall

4. Lars

Lars Registered User

None
    I'd Take Jordan Staal, Even tho I am hardly a fan of him. I just don't think Pouliot will size up to be that 1st liner he was billed to be when he was drafted 4th overall in 2005.

Jordan Staal Is about 2 years younger, and putting up similar numbers to Pouliot in the OHL. Staal has matured physically alot more than Pouliot has. Jordan is beginning to fill out his 6'4 frame, and has hit over 200 pounds.

Jordan Will Be A First liner, Pouliot Wont.

5. WILDTATE10

WILDTATE10 Registered User

POuliot

He almost made the Wild last year and has all the skills to become a star in the nhl.

6. Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne aka Scribe

Freelance journalist
    Home Page:
    Why oh why the doubters? Jordan Staal is becoming a beast. He's cranking it up during the Petes' playoff run after a slow start. He had two more goals tonight against London in Game 1 of the OHL final. That's 10 in 16 games.

Seriously, some people are so into the fact that this guy is overated because of his name, that they underrate him.

7. Russian_fanatic

Russian_fanatic Registered User

Jordan Staal. I have him as the best forward in the draft actually. IMO he's going to be a star in the NHL.

8. thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala Everyone! PANIC!

Pouliot's problem is taking dumb penalties and retaliation penalties if I'm not mistaken. If he gets his act together and start living up to his potential, he could be a very dangerous threat on a young Minnesota team. Will he ever be a franchise player? No, but to say immediately that he won't be a 1st line player is assine. We don't know where players will end up. He has the POTENTIAL to be a first line player and from what I've read and seen he can be, especially if he gets his act together and bulks up.

I still would take Jordan Staal over Pouliot but you're discounting him, especially since he almost made the Wild team this year, which might have been good or bad, who knows?

Pouliot's game looks tailored to the NHL simply because of his size and potential. I think partly he became lazy and he didn't have a lot of talent around him. Pairing him up to Bouchard, Gaborik, O'Sullivan, Voloshenko, Rolston, could be a deadly combination.

9. Street Hawk

Street Hawk Registered User

Home Page:
    Going to be better...

I seriously believe that Staal has a very legit shot at being the first forward taken in the draft, ahead of Kessel and Toews. Put the regular season numbers aside, where he got basically a point a game, and look at the playoffs where he is tearing it up. That is going to really impress the scouts of the Blues, Penguins, Blackhawks, and Capitals.

Heck, if wouldn't surprise me to see the Blues take Staal or try to flip with the Pens who probably need to take Johnson in this draft to build up their backend. Remember last draft where scouts and people on this board doubted Marc Staal and that his hype was all because of his brother Eric? Man, look at what he has done this season.

Now people think he has a shot at playing for the Rangers as a 19 year old. Jordan needs to return to the OHL next season, but that should be his final year in the OHL before jumping to the NHL. I think you'll see a fairly good size jump in his numbers next season, from 68 to 85+ points in the regular season, ala his brother Marc.

10. God Bless Canada

God Bless Canada Registered User

Newspaper reporter
    Not only are the Staals good young players, but they're money players. Eric Staal has been very good for Carolina in his first career playoff series, and he showed his mettle in 2003, when he had nine goals in seven games in the OHL playoffs. Marc Staal played the game of his life versus Russia in the final of the WJC this year. Jordan Staal has 10 goals in 16 games this year.

I don't know if Staal will be the first forward picked or not. I do know that St. Louis likes him. I don't know if St. Louis makes the deal with Pittsburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if St. Louis trades down to No. 3 with Washington, so that the Caps can pick Johnson, or No. 4 with Chicago, so that the Hawks can pick Kessel.

11. hockeyfan85

hockeyfan85 Registered User

student
    I was at the game in London last night and I kind of thought he was benefitting from the Staal hype, but I was throughly impressed with Jordan. He's big and uses his size well already, it's scary to imagine what he will be like in a year or two. I haven't seen Pouliot play in person, but I wasn't overly impressed at the WJC...

12. KH1

KH1 Registered User

Editor
    Home Page:
    I was never a huge Pouliot fan so I'm gonna take Staal.

13. CanuckistanFlyerfan

CanuckistanFlyerfan Registered User

Anyone who underrates Staal, hasn't seen him play lately. He keeps getting better as the season goes on.

14. No Draft

No Draft Registered User

Professional Fan
    Home Page:
    Both are close....Staal is younger is he may be a better choice

15. Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne aka Scribe

Freelance journalist
    Home Page:
    Staal is also a better defensive player. I think this will help him in two ways: it will lower his risk of being a bust because he will always have some value and the offense might come around later if he doesn't score right away. Also, being a good defensive player gives you more scoring opportunities.

16. Staal.....the kids are all gonna be legends. This is one insane bloodline. First target: MURDER DEVILS.

17. rt

rt DingDongTippIsGone! Sponsor

Spelled, not spelt. Staal, not Stall. Also, I don't believe that "fair up" or "first starters" are commonly used phrases. I'm only being an a-hole because you asked.

18. rt

rt DingDongTippIsGone! Sponsor

I take it back, I am an a-hole. A drunk one, at that.