Jordan Staal Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
GagneOwnsYou said:
Personally, having watched them for 2-3 years, I don't see how Staal is better than Bryan Little, but someone is seeing something I'm not.

It's not about who's better in junior. It's about who will be better in the NHL against bigger, stronger players. That's why all things being equal, a bigger guy has a better chance of excelling in the NHL.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Irish Blues said:
As long as St. Louis is picking above Washington, I'll put money down that Staal isn't on the board when the Caps pick.

Wow, you think the Blues could pick Staal 1st?

Or are you assuming the Pens get the top pick and grab Johnson and then the Blues could grab Staal at 2?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Marc the Habs Fan said:
Wow, you think the Blues could pick Staal 1st?

Or are you assuming the Pens get the top pick and grab Johnson and then the Blues could grab Staal at 2?
The Blues would take Staal at 2. Ideally they'd take him at 3 or 4 with the knowledge that someone behind them wants Kessel, but if they can't get a near-guarantee on it, they'd take someone *not* named Phil Kessel at 2.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Irish Blues said:
The Blues would take Staal at 2. Ideally they'd take him at 3 or 4 with the knowledge that someone behind them wants Kessel, but if they can't get a near-guarantee on it, they'd take someone *not* named Phil Kessel at 2.

Interesting...

So basically I have to hope the Blues get the 1st pick and grab E-Jay. :D

Any particular reason why they would be against taking Kessel?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Marc the Habs Fan said:
Interesting...

So basically I have to hope the Blues get the 1st pick and grab E-Jay. :D

Any particular reason why they would be against taking Kessel?
IMO - look at how he played at the WJC's. Not his point totals, the fact that even when it was clear Canada, Russia and Finland knew what move he was going to make coming down the ice, he still tried it. And when it was clear it wasn't working, he still kept on trying it. For me, that's a huge red flag; it shows he either lacks creativity, is selfish, or struggles to utilize his linemates. He might be doing better in the NCAA's, but on a stage like that where there's pressure to do well I don't think it's a good sign.

Amazing Oopah

Nov 5, 2005
Virginia
I really don't see Staal going top 2... but, neverthless, I can imagine an scenario where the GM will look at his older brother Eric's season and pull the trigger at number #2 or #3 hoping he'll be able to put up similar numbers one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad