Jordan Staal Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
How high is he projected to go?

Also, whats the lowest you expect him to go?

Pretty much which range pick do you think he is?

I ask because if the Caps fall some where between 3-6 I want to know if the Caps have a shot at him at say maybe 5 etc.

Whats your opinion on him as a playmaking center? And will he be ready for the NHL next year or does he need another year to get stronger, faster etc.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
CapitalPunishment55 said:

I ask because if the Caps fall some where between 3-6 I want to know if the Caps have a shot at him at say maybe 5 etc.

Whats your opinion on him as a playmaking center? And will he be ready for the NHL next year or does he need another year to get stronger, faster etc.
If the Blues so happen to get the 1st overall pick.. and deside to trade down.. I would love them to get Staal... Staal and Oshie down the middle would be nice

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

3-6 maybe even 7 but not likely, is where i would expect him to go.
Johnson and Kessel IMO are still 1,2, than any number of players could go in next few spots.

Amazing Oopah

Nov 5, 2005
Virginia

He'll certainly might be between 3-6 for the Caps if their turn comes around at that time. It would be a shock to me if he goes any lower than 7.

I don't think you can expect anyone in this draft to pull an 'Ovechkin' and start putting up points immediately. I've read that Kessel may not be even ready for the NHL next season so I would assume Staal would need a year down at Hershey at the very least.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
No CHL teens in AHL

Amazing Oopah said:
I would assume Staal would need a year down at Hershey at the very least.

If Jordan Staal is to play in Hershey, it will have to be as a 20-year-old. There is an agreement between the AHL, NHL and CHL (major junior) that teenagers are not allowed to play in the AHL until they are 20 years old. There are exceptions: Bergfors, because he's European and not drafted from the CHL; also, players that graduate from the CHL to the NHL as teenagers can get sent to the AHL for a 10-game conditioning stint after which they must be called back up to the NHL or returned to their junior team. There might be other loopholes, but those are the two most common reasons you'll see a teenager in the AHL.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I would say Staal goes either 3rd or 4th. I see him as a future Joe Thornton type. Going by his size, offense and skating ability.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
3rd at highest

7th at lowest

He wouldn't be the guy to draft if you want help right away. Give him two more years of Junior and 1 year of AHL and he will be a good one.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
2-4 sounds about right. I'm thinking a few teams will be looking to trade up the longer he's around so I don't see him slipping far at all.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Staal is still very raw--scouts are tantalized by his size and the Staal genes--but right at this moment he is very far from the NHL --he;ll need at least 2 more years of Jr. to see how he develops--his shot is nowhere near as good as Eric's was in his draft year,his release isn't as quick,his hockey sense not as developed,his finishing not as good,his 3 period game not as consistent--their are flashes but it is not all there yet IMO---he pases well but really is not that creative yet--but he is BIG,he already is stronger than ERIC was in his draft year--and will only get even stronger--he's a "baby" of the draft--5 days removed from missing it and having to wait till the 2007 draft--so scouts are "projecting" on the Staal genes,projecting he will improve over each of the next two years and emerge as the dominant player in the OHL by age 19...it may happen BUT it could also not happen in the sense that say a Rich or Ron Sutter never equalled the scoring prowess of brother Brian or he may be a tweener between these extremes like Darryl,Duane and Brent....

AT THE MOMENT--he is not as well advanced as Nicklas Backstrom is in puck skills and hockey sense...but there are those tantalizing flashes and he already has an NHL big body...

I've seen him play 5 times this year (4 OHL games and the Top Prospects Game)--he really did not show me much in any of those games (his goal in the Top Prospects Game was an easy tap into a gaping open net with a Team Cherry goalie
drawn out of position by a 5x2 due to a terrible line change leading to the 3 man advantage) --UNTIL the 3rd period of last night's 3-2 OT loss to Brampton where he had --FINALLY--a very good period with 2 geat passes leading to scoring chances--the first of which resulted in a shot and goal by Reddox and the other was a blown shot on goal that missed the net (it might have been tardif? that blew the chance by shooting it over the net after Staal set him up) --and he played well back-checking to break up some brampton scoring chances--THEN in OT he made a beautiful rush from behind his own net all the way up the right side boards up into the Brampton zone then a long horizontal pass into the crease area almost tipped in for a goal--HOWEVER in watching him over these 5 games one period +an OT of stellar play does not make a great prospect--it only tantalizes as what he MIGHT
become IF he develops... Right now --most times--he doesn't look like a top ten pick--so he is a long-off "projection" in the very raw stage but with upside...for all his good play in the latter part of the game,he also muffed 4 other good scoring chances making one question if he can develop ERIC's "hands", puck skill,and shot or not--2 of these were passes at his feet which he couldn't convert to his stick to get off a shot in the slot--so puck handling is questionable--he also muffed a one-timer--again you question does he have a good shot? Therefore--AT THIS TIME--his game is "RAW" --you he improves his skills as he matures--because added to his size+ physical game --that could be some package...

Last edited:

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
hawksfan50 said:
Staal is still very raw--scouts are tantalized by his size and the Staal genes--but right at this moment he is very far from the NHL --he;ll need at least 2 more years of Jr. to see how he develops--his shot is nowhere near as good as Eric's was in his draft year,his release isn't as quick,his hockey sense not as developed,his finishing not as good,his 3 period game not as consistent--their are flashes but it is not all there yet IMO---he pases well but really is not that creative yet--but he is BIG,he already is stronger than ERIC was in his draft year--and will only get even stronger--he's a "baby" of the draft--5 days removed from missing it and having to wait till the 2007 draft--so scouts are "projecting" on the Staal genes,projecting he will improve over each of the next two years and emerge as the dominant player in the OHL by age 19...it may happen BUT it could also not happen in the sense that say a Rich or Ron Sutter never equalled the scoring prowess of brother Brian or he may be a tweener between these extremes like Darryl,Duane and Brent....

AT THE MOMENT--he is not as well advanced as Nicklas Backstrom is in puck skills and hockey sense...but there are those tantalizing flashes and he already has an NHL big body...

I've seen him play 5 times this year (4 OHL games and the Top Prospects Game)--he really did not show me much in any of those games (his goal in the Top Prospects Game was an easy tap into a gaping open net with a Team Cherry goalie
drawn out of position by a 5x2 due to a terrible line change leading to the 3 man advantage) --UNTIL the 3rd period of last night's 3-2 OT loss to Brampton where he had --FINALLY--a very good period with 2 geat passes leading to scoring chances--the first of which resulted in a shot and goal by Reddox and the other was a blown shot on goal that missed the net (it might have been tardif? that blew the chance by shooting it over the net after Staal set him up) --and he played well back-checking to break up some brampton scoring chances--THEN in OT he made a beautiful rush from behind his own net all the way up the right side boards up into the Brampton zone then a long horizontal pass into the crease area almost tipped in for a goal--HOWEVER in watching him over these 5 games one period +an OT of stellar play does not make a great prospect--it only tantalizes as what he MIGHT
become IF he develops... Right now --most times--he doesn't look like a top ten pick--so he is a long-off "projection" in the very raw stage but with upside...for all his good play in the latter part of the game,he also muffed 4 other good scoring chances making one question if he can develop ERIC's "hands", puck skill,and shot or not--2 of these were passes at his feet which he couldn't convert to his stick to get off a shot in the slot--so puck handling is questionable--he also muffed a one-timer--again you question does he have a good shot? Therefore--AT THIS TIME--his game is "RAW" --you he improves his skills as he matures--because added to his size+ physical game --that could be some package...

You make some good points about Staal, especially about his slow release. However the comparison to his brother is not accurate. Eric was a year older then Jordan when he was drafted because of a late b-day. In both their 17 year old years they are putting up equal numbers. I think eric only had 22 goals that year.

The draft is about projection. It is not exactly where they are right now but in the future. That is why Wheeler, Pouliot got drafted as high as they did. All the tools are there for Jordan, but there is work to do with him.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
They say big guys take longer to get their game together, well this kids game seems to have come a long way in one year. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted, and who gets him.

Baisleyens

Sep 12, 2005
Scribe said:
If Jordan Staal is to play in Hershey, it will have to be as a 20-year-old. There is an agreement between the AHL, NHL and CHL (major junior) that teenagers are not allowed to play in the AHL until they are 20 years old. There are exceptions: Bergfors, because he's European and not drafted from the CHL; also, players that graduate from the CHL to the NHL as teenagers can get sent to the AHL for a 10-game conditioning stint after which they must be called back up to the NHL or returned to their junior team. There might be other loopholes, but those are the two most common reasons you'll see a teenager in the AHL.
Bergfors was actually drafted by the fog devils in St. John's New Foundland in the Q...

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
You're right, but...

Baisleyens said:
Bergfors was actually drafted by the fog devils in St. John's New Foundland in the Q...

Bergfors was drafted by St. John's in the CHL import draft after the Devils took him in the NHL entry draft. When the Devils announced his name at the NHL draft, his amateur club was Sodertalje in Sweden, not St. John's. That, and the fact Bergfors did not play in the CHL with the Fog Devils means he's allowed to play full-time in the AHL as a teenager.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Personally, having watched them for 2-3 years, I don't see how Staal is better than Bryan Little, but someone is seeing something I'm not.

KH1

I'm absoultely in love with Staal and I have little doubt in my mind that he will settle into the #3 spot in the draft when it's all said and done. His great size and playmaking ability will make him fly up the board before the draft.

Somebody should go buy the Staal kids parents a beer or something, they did a heckuva job turning out hockey players.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Washington has an excellent shot at Staal with approximately the #5 pick. To me, that's as high as JS will go. The lowest he'll fall is #10 or so, and that seems unlikely.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
What some people forget is Eric Staal was a late b-day and almost a year older than Jordan was for the draft. So I would say come next year Jordan could be on par with where Eric was at his draft age.

Jordan is a heck of a player, I would say he goes from 3rd to 8th.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
badrobot101 said:
Washington has an excellent shot at Staal with approximately the #5 pick. To me, that's as high as JS will go. The lowest he'll fall is #10 or so, and that seems unlikely.
As long as St. Louis is picking above Washington, I'll put money down that Staal isn't on the board when the Caps pick.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Irish Blues said:
As long as St. Louis is picking above Washington, I'll put money down that Staal isn't on the board when the Caps pick.

Jerks! j/k :)

I think any smart caps fan will be happy with one of the top 6 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->