Jordan Staal catches Don cherry's eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
To judge the other brothers, you look at Eric's success, and then remember that he's pegged to be the worst of the Staal brothers. I've heard that the youngest one(can't remember the name) is supposed to be the best.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
To judge the other brothers, you look at Eric's success, and then remember that he's pegged to be the worst of the Staal brothers. I've heard that the youngest one(can't remember the name) is supposed to be the best.

Just how many Stall brothers are there, is this like the Sutter family all over again?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
TJF said:
Just how many Stall brothers are there, is this like the Sutter family all over again?

I believe there is four, including Eric. And yes, Caniacforever, Eric is pegged off to be the worst. It's not a huge difference , though, so the other three won't get Crosby-type hype. They'll get their fair share of the media, though.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
zamboni said:
Marc Staal is 16, Jordan is 14, and Jared is 12.

(From THN's 2003 Draft Preview)

Jordan's only 14? That sounds odd, as he's the captain of a Midget team. Probably good enough to play and dominate on the Midget team, though.

That'd make Marc eligible either in '05 or '06, Jordan eligible in '07 or '08, and Jared eligible in '09 or '10.

MacDaddy TLC*

I have never heard a bad thing about the Staal kids and family. They are terrific citizens, go to church on Sunday, help dad on the farm almost like a TV family type. Heeremas are their cousins.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This "Eric is the worst of the Staals" stuff is just typical hype from the "younger is better" prosect adoring crowd. He went #2 overall in a draft considered to be one of the best ever. Now, I know it's early, but Marc isn't pegged to go nearly as high in most early reports I've seen on his draft. And to say the other two are going to be better is pretty absurd at this point. If I had to bet, I would guess that Eric ends up being the best of them.

MacDaddy TLC*

Epsilon said:
This "Eric is the worst of the Staals" stuff is just typical hype from the "younger is better" prosect adoring crowd. He went #2 overall in a draft considered to be one of the best ever. Now, I know it's early, but Marc isn't pegged to go nearly as high in most early reports I've seen on his draft. And to say the other two are going to be better is pretty absurd at this point. If I had to bet, I would guess that Eric ends up being the best of them.
It must be true: 3 out of 4 Staal brothers say so! :D :p :lol:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Epsilon said:

I don't know enough to say whether I agree in this case or not, but in general, I'd say this is overwhelming true, especially on a site like this dedicated to 'the future'. I think most of us are guilty of it, including myself. The younger the prospect, the more we look to see upside because we can't really say for certain how they'll develop. We tend to ignore or pass off weaknesses as being part of youth. We see a glossy young image of what we hope somebody becomes.

Then they have to actually develop and play stiffer competition and get drafted and traded and get passed up by others and we start looking for a younger player just bubbling with hope to get excited about...and the cycle begins again.

I have read how Eric considers his brothers more talented than himself. Who knows, by draft day in another year, Marc may be a top 2 pick and Jordan may be the next Sid Crosby. But if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Eric being the best simply because he's 'made it' to the NHL and looks like a future star at the NHL level playing against other NHL'ers. And its a long journey.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Remember, at one point in time, people were saying Brian Sakic was better than Joe Sakic, and that Keith Gretzky was better than Wayne Gretzky.

MacDaddy TLC*

Epsilon said:
Now, I know it's early, but Marc isn't pegged to go nearly as high in most early reports I've seen on his draft. .
A kid last name Crosby will prevent him from going higher than Eric. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad