Jordan Lavalee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
I notice that he is listed as being born in Corvallis,Oregon.Which would be a WHL territory.Did his family move or did no one in the WHL want him?How did he end up in the QMJHL?

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
TomACE said:
Thrashers fans are pretty high on this kid.

LaVallee is a great pick at #116. DW and his staff really did a nice job snagging him at that spot. I love the upside and value.

My question is why was LaVallee even available that late? Were there really 115 better prospects? :confused:

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
LaVallee at USA Hockey U20 camp in Lake Placid

LaVallee has looked great at the USA U20 Evaluation Camp. He has points in every game -- 3g/2a in 4 games, including the Blue/White game earlier in the week.

LaVallee was passed over in the 2004 draft and some of the scouts (especially the donkeys at NHL central scouting) couldn't be big enough to admit the mistake, so he slipped to round 4. Atlanta got a good one here.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dunwoody_joe said:
LaVallee is a great pick at #116. DW and his staff really did a nice job snagging him at that spot. I love the upside and value.

My question is why was LaVallee even available that late? Were there really 115 better prospects? :confused:

I've read that most don't believe his goal scoring will translate to the AHL, let alone the NHL...but he has the size and physical game to be a good checker, at worst.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
to me its one of the biggest mysteries why he was passed up in 04, then i was surprised why he went so late this year. atlanta got a pretty good prospect in the fourth.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
I've read that most don't believe his goal scoring will translate to the AHL, let alone the NHL...but he has the size and physical game to be a good checker, at worst.

Who is "most"? I'd be interested in hearing the rationale.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I see Him as a 2nd line PF with 50 pts per year which is great. Good job by ATL

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Who is "most"? I'd be interested in hearing the rationale.

Haha, that's putting me on the spot to remember a scouting reports\analyses when I've read probably 100 different reports on the guy. I'm a fan of Jordan, and I hoped Nashville would take a shot on him...I'm just pointing out what I've heard.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Garp said:
I see Him as a 2nd line PF with 50 pts per year which is great. Good job by ATL

That's definately his HIGHEST upside. I think he has an extremely long way till he gets there, also. I think he'll turn out to be a bit more physical version of Brad Isbister. One of those guys who just isn't good enough ot be on the top 2 lines, but can add some scoring if you need him to.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Reveille! said:
That's definately his HIGHEST upside. I think he has an extremely long way till he gets there, also. I think he'll turn out to be a bit more physical version of Brad Isbister. One of those guys who just isn't good enough ot be on the top 2 lines, but can add some scoring if you need him to.

^^^ agreed.

X-SHARKIE

I read in an interview with him on Mckeens that in 04 only two teams looked at him and interviewed him, Atlanta and the Sharks... I sure do wish we would've taken him back in 04 or even this summers draft.

Ahh well.

I think he compares well to a Sharks prospect named Ryan Clowe.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I've seen Lavallee play a bunch of times and I was shocked he wasn't drafted last year.He needs to improve his skating but he has real potential imo.He can really
deliver a solid check and he has pretty nice hands and good hockey sence.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
In 2004 he was very raw. He was big, seemed like he was improving very slowly. That probably turned some teams away. Jordan didnt really have a big impact in the Q at 16 and 17 and like I said his development looked like it plateaued, that could be why no one picked him in 2004.

However, in 2005 he seemed to put it all together (Big power forwards usually take more time). Some people have said his year was a fluke but i honestly believe it wasnt. He is a solid prospect but he is still a boom or bust type of prospect.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pei fan said:
I've seen Lavallee play a bunch of times and I was shocked he wasn't drafted last year.He needs to improve his skating but he has real potential imo.He can really
deliver a solid check and he has pretty nice hands and good hockey sence.

Watching him this past year you'd think ever NHL GM was off their rocker, but if you watched Lavallee in 2003/2004 (I assume you did) youd probably understand. He was clumsy, awkward, didnt do much out there. He has really improved. I was surprised when no one took a flyer on him in rounds 7-9 but I wasnt completley shocked. I was only surprised because he is 6'03 220 and NHL GM's covet that.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
LaLaLaprise said:
but if you watched Lavallee in 2003/2004 (I assume you did) youd probably understand. He was clumsy, awkward, didnt do much out there. He has really improved.
We faced them in the playoffs and he didn't get much icetime and I was
wondering why because he looked pretty good and Hennessey was injured
so they could have used him.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pei fan said:
We faced them in the playoffs and he didn't get much icetime and I was
wondering why because he looked pretty good and Hennessey was injured
so they could have used him.

That is pretty much why Churilov wasnt picked this year. Lack of playing time, and quality icetime. A friend of mine is a remps fan and it seemed like every time Quebec had an offensive zone faceoff the big line was out there. Churilov was dumped into a checking role, similar to Lavallee in his draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad