Prospect Info: Jordan Kyrou (2016 Draft - 35 Overall)

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
He'll back in Sarnia for sure. He needs another year in junior and I'd like to see him at the World Juniors as well.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
IMO: I don't see him sticking past this stretch of games through the 25th of the month. Will he be back for the Stings opener? I don't think so. I get the feeling they want to see him in a couple more games before he goes back.

He's not been near as impressive against NHL comp as he was in the Summer Showcase. He needs another year of junior for developing and growth.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if they did send him down this week though. I'd say it's a 70/30 chance he stays til Sunday.

I think Kyrou will play another 2-3 preseason games before being sent back to his OHL team. No chance The Blues will keep him for the 9 game amateur trial.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Kyrou names Sarnias Captain today. Maybe this will be a step in the right direction towards his maturation and becoming that role model on ice for his teammates. Defensively I mean.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If you haven’t read JR’s piece “The Gifted” and his take on Kyrou and his mastery of skating, it’s worth the price of admission alone. His breakdown of Kyrou’s ability is phenomenal, and it’s made me further appreciate his overall game even after I’ve watched him with my own eyes.

That’s excellent reporting. The Athletic is on sale right now, and it’s worth every penny.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If you haven’t read JR’s piece “The Gifted” and his take on Kyrou and his mastery of skating, it’s worth the price of admission alone. His breakdown of Kyrou’s ability is phenomenal, and it’s made me further appreciate his overall game even after I’ve watched him with my own eyes.

That’s excellent reporting. The Athletic is on sale right now, and it’s worth every penny.
JR didn't write that piece, another contributor at the Athletic did. You're right that it's definitely worth a read tho!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

That was Scott Wheeler's work.

Ive been thinking of comparisons and I dont get the Kessel comparision. Kessel is a straight line burner with an elite shot.

Kyrou is a truely elite skater. I will say this in the manor of play vs peers. Kyrou's vision is in a whole different realm compared to Kessel. Kessel is fairly 1 dimensional in his attack...and that's ok because he's really good at it. Kyrou attacks in different ways.

Ive been thinking and the closest Ive come up with is Ehlers without the cannon of a shot. They attack the net in the same manor and overall skating looks similar.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
How Kyrou uses his skating and stick-work reminds me more of Barzal than Kessel or Ehlers, There's similarities in how they see the ice and in how they create and execute their offensive zone passes as well.

It's not a perfect comparison, since Barzal uses his stops and starts more often and more effectively to create space than Kyrou.

I also currently wouldn't put Kyrou's upside at Barzal's level. The comparison just conveys better stylisitc information than most.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
How Kyrou uses his skating and stick-work reminds me more of Barzal than Kessel or Ehlers, There's similarities in how they see the ice and in how they create and execute their offensive zone passes as well.

It's not a perfect comparison, since Barzal uses his stops and starts more often and more effectively to create space than Kyrou.

I also currently wouldn't put Kyrou's upside at Barzal's level. The comparison just conveys better stylisitc information than most.
I didn’t want to mention it since it’s more appropriate to just respond with “he’s not going to be anything special” after reading about his strengths, but Barzal does come to mind. Both are very much a one man show in the O-zone, but do so in a way that makes everyone else better. Skating is similar, too.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I havn't seen much of Barzal outside of highlights so I cant really comment one way or another.

As for upside...I'd easily take 50% Barzal. It's usually best to wait till year 2 or 3 to see how teams have adjusted to the player, but it's really hard to contain dynamic skaters.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Barzal shows more effort in the D zone and overall, he’s always playing at 100% effort. Kyrou seems to play a much more passive style. Especially for Sarnia. In the WJC his effort level was better though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Barzal shows more effort in the D zone and overall, he’s always playing at 100% effort. Kyrou seems to play a much more passive style. Especially for Sarnia. In the WJC his effort level was better though.
This is something i noticed too. I take the easy answer and he's bored in juniors

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Continuing the conversation from the Tavares thread @Brian39 and @STLBLUES44 :

Here's Barzal:

This is mostly how he uses his skating once in the OZ. He has good top speed and entries though in transition.

barzal-1.gif

EvenFantasticIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif

Here's Kyrou:
SPEED/ACCELERATION
giphy8.gif

SPEED
giphy9.gif

BALANCE/AGILITY
giphy10.gif
SPEED/ACCELERATION/BALANCE/AGILITY
giphy11.gif

AGILITY/BALANCE
giphy12.gif

AGILITY
giphy-11.gif
ACCELERATION/VISION
giphy13.gif

HANDS/AGILITY/VISION
giphy14.gif

HANDS/AGILITY/ACCELERATION
giphy15.gif
BALANCE
giphy16.gif

HANDS
giphy19.gif

HANDS/VISION
giphy17.gif
HANDS/VISION (close-up)
giphy18.gif

VISION/CREATION
giphy20.gif

HANDS/AGILITY
giphy21.gif

He's just really, really, good.

Just re-watching those makes my jaw drop. The agility is insane.

Oh, and subscribe to The Athletic because it's totally worth it. Be a pal and use this referral link. . .

Last edited:
Reactions: PizzaPietrangelo

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
:laugh: Wow, it'll be real nice to have THAT on the team soon.

Right now though: Speed? Creativity? What are those things?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Dude is for real. The only knock I have on him is that he’s not aggressive enough often enough. He may just be bored with Juniors, though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dude is for real. The only knock I have on him is that he’s not aggressive enough often enough. He may just be bored with Juniors, though.
I dont want to say thats it...but he is scoring at over 2 PPG. No real need to turn up. Id imagine those 3-5pt nights he's a little more revved up.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
He's always been a guy that's kind of picked his spots, IMO.

Not necessarily anything wrong with that as long as he's picking those spots wisely and staying where he should be when he isn't, but I don't see him suddenly turning one of those guys with a non-stop motor as he moves up the levels.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Reaaaaalllllly don't want to trade him. He's absolutely electrifying with the puck. He has some deficiencies, no doubt. He's not a perfect player by any means. But what he does well, he does REALLY well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad