Joni Pitkänen

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tom_servo said:
Wrong. What they got were valuable assets. Ouellet himself carries substantial value. And you neglected to mention the swap of their first round pick which netted them Alexander Semin.

Very good return for an old UFA.

Unproven goalies carry very little trade value. Even proven goalie values are at an all-time low in trade talks.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Face it, you lost out on the possibility to select future stars or NHL regulars plus a franchise goaltender for a player who played 20 games with Philly.

The key work is possibility. Having the excess picks that Clarke had aquired allowed him to take a chance. It failed, but far from a devastating trade (unless Ouellet become Martin Brodeur).

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
Unproven goalies carry very little trade value. Even proven goalie values are at an all-time low in trade talks.

Define 'unproven goalie.' There are lots of unproven goaltenders, but with varying ages and pedigrees. Ouellet is young and was a first-rounder. He is also dominating the AHL. That alone tell me he has substantial value.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tom_servo said:
Define 'unproven goalie.' There are lots of unproven goaltenders, but with varying ages and pedigrees. Ouellet is young and was a first-rounder. He is also dominating the AHL. That alone tell me he has substantial value.

Name me the last unproven NHL goalie that brought back something substantial in a trade.

Even NHL proven goalies aren't bringing back much in trades (Cechmanek for a 2nd), (Osgood on waivers), (Giguere was dealt twice for almost nothing, and he was picked 13th overall)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
John Flyers Fan said:
For all those that still kill what we gave up for Oates. A few items to remember.

#1. Night before the trade deadline, both Primeau & Roenick suffer big injuries.

#2. We had enough excess picks to make the Otaes deal, still aquires the #4 pick that year, and have 9 picks in the top 100 the following year.

#3. The 4 players that Washington got are the following:

Ouellet - highly regarded, but still not even an NHL back-up, far from a proven #1 goalie,

The three players that were taken with the draft picks are:

1st round - Martin Vagner, defenseman - Dallas Stars 11th ranked prospect

2nd round - Maxime Daigneault, goalie - Washington Capitals 7th ranked prospect

3rd round - Derek Krestanovich, center - Washington Capitals, not among their top 15 prospects

Did the Flyers overpay for Oates ???

Yes, but they were best over the barrel by two injuries the night before the deadline.

Until any off the above players becomes a big time NHL player, that Caps didn't make out too good on the deal either.
And who would have forced Clarke to draft the same guys as Washington?
Nah you can't defend that deal John.
It was awful then, it's awful now.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Evilo said:
And who would have forced Clarke to draft the same guys as Washington?
Nah you can't defend that deal John.
It was awful then, it's awful now.

I didn't say it was a good deal, just not as horrendous as people make it out to be.

You never seem to hear anything about a rental of Theo Fleury by the Avalanche as an awful trade.

Avs didn't win the Cup, Fleury walked, and the Flames walked away with Robin Regehr, who has now played nearly 300 games for the Flames, and has become a very good defenseman.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It was an awful deal, but who is to say the Flyers would have bothered trading up if they already had a first rounder? I'd deal all that, plus what we gave for Pitkanen just for Joni. Was it a bad trade? yea, it was horrible, but the flyers have moved on, have better prospects than most teams in the league and a very good team that in the early season is showing signs that i haven't seen from the team in years and years, so i'm content with the flyers current situation. When you think about it, how many top goalies are playing on the team that drafted them anyway? Oulett was the only important gredient in the trade, especially considering it was a very week draft after the top 4.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Joni Pitkanen has been amazing for the flyers this season so far. It's only been a few games but so far he's looked like anything but a rookie..
I see the calder with his name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->