Recalled/Assigned: Joni Ortio recalled, Ramo on Injured Reserve

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Ortio has had one good AHL season, and we had AHL vets like Derek Smith, Shane O'Brien, Cundari, Billins, Arsene on the blueline... Other than that, he had a couple of average seasons in SM-Liiga, an average AHL year last year, and a couple of piss-poor AHL seasons on either sides of those.

I don't see this potential that people keep talking about. This glass is half empty.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Ortio had a few good games for us last year. I don't think it is out of the question that he could become a useful player for us even if its just spot duty. I think giving him a chance while Ramo is out is the only way to see what we have with him.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Goalies are wierd. Ortio could either be terrible, or he could go on some crazy Hammond like run. And if he did that he'd probably be awful next year again.

You just never know with goalies.

That said, the positive feelings and momentum that Hiller had coming out of last night I can't imagine that Hills won't get a bunch of starts in a row....and Jonas may just go on a run himself. Atleast Hiller has had experience being an NHL starter.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Goalies are wierd. Ortio could either be terrible, or he could go on some crazy Hammond like run. And if he did that he'd probably be awful next year again.

You just never know with goalies.

That said, the positive feelings and momentum that Hiller had coming out of last night I can't imagine that Hills won't get a bunch of starts in a row....and Jonas may just go on a run himself. Atleast Hiller has had experience being an NHL starter.
Hiller has been good since December started. In that time he is 6-1-0 with a 2.17gaa and .927sv%.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Some time you get an unearned free pass. That's life.

moon*

I didn't notice it previously but this year it seems as though Ortio is almost scared of the puck, especially up high. Scared probably isn't the right word but a couple of times the puck was at head level and he seemed to duck out of the way and completely lost it. Ducking seems like an odd response from a goalie and not a successful way to play goal.

I think he was a guy that hit the Flames organization perfectly being the only young goalie around and being Finnish coming after Kipper (a quality that has definitely helped the overrating of Ramo by many fans). Looking at Ortio from an neutral/non-fan perspective his play and numbers don't look impressive and he sure seems like any number of AHL/Euro league guys that got a cup of coffee and weren't good enough to stick around.

Sure he has a good game or two but overall he doesn't look like he will be solution for anything more than maybe a back-up.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I didn't notice it previously but this year it seems as though Ortio is almost scared of the puck, especially up high. Scared probably isn't the right word but a couple of times the puck was at head level and he seemed to duck out of the way and completely lost it. Ducking seems like an odd response from a goalie and not a successful way to play goal.

I also noticed this and its pathetic. Send him back down and call up Poulin if he's scared to stop the puck.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Yeah that's what 100TG and myself have been pointing out for a while. He puts himself out of position and moves away from the luck far too often.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The wooden board has become self aware and is now avoiding the puck. Just sir there like you did your whole career Woody.

Seriously though the Flames are going to finish near the Leafs with Hiller in net. Clearly Ramo is better than he gets credit for.

moon*

The wooden board has become self aware and is now avoiding the puck. Just sir there like you did your whole career Woody.

Seriously though the Flames are going to finish near the Leafs with Hiller in net. Clearly Ramo is better than he gets credit for.

How is Ramo better than he was given credit for?

He is much, much worse than many people give him credit for which is a big reason this team was in 25th spot when he was injured with him playing a majority of the games.

moon*

I got an old shooter tutor in my garage. Can we trade Hiller for that?

Is the shooter tutor going to cover Haula standing alone in the slot or not let Zucker walk around him like a pylon?

If only we had Kari Ramo and his .906 career sv % we would definitely be kicking ass!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I haven't watched many games with him in net so I didn't notice before.
I think him flinching is a big reason he loses his net so much, if it is that pronounced on high shots, that makes me think there is some flinching for any shot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Willing to let anyone in net that can stop a puck, hold open tryouts if need be :laugh:

Yeah, the last two games haven't been brilliant goaltending performances by any means eh?

It's bad when every shot the other team makes, you're like 'ugh'. Outside of some great Ramo periods, the goalies this season have been horrendous. It's not even like we need Price between the pipes. Just someone who'll stop a few shots :laugh:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah, the last two games haven't been brilliant goaltending performances by any means eh?

It's bad when every shot the other team makes, you're like 'ugh'. Outside of some great Ramo periods, the goalies this season have been horrendous. It's not even like we need Price between the pipes. Just someone who'll stop a few shots :laugh:

This season has been painful after so many years of 70+ games of Kipper. God damn do I miss that loveable *******.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I don't get why they didn't call up Poulin. I get that Ortio is the guy they've invested time in, but this year, and over the course of his pro career, Poulin has been as good or better.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't get why they didn't call up Poulin. I get that Ortio is the guy they've invested time in, but this year, and over the course of his pro career, Poulin has been as good or better.

Ramo is done for the year if Ortio shows nothing after a couple weeks then they can switch. I don't see a problem with it.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
True. A perspective offered on the Fan 960 by Steinberg I think: Poulin has passed Ortio on the depth chart, and that's why he's still in Stockton, so he can play. Ortio is just in Calgary to sit on the bench as the backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->