Recalled/Assigned: Joni Ortio recalled, Ramo on Injured Reserve

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

ramp_repair.jpg

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
should have tried out Poulin. Ortio is headed no where.

Ortio has shown massive potential in the past. If he put's it all together he can still be a very good goalie.
He obviously sucks this year, but it happens to young players. Despite that he still has a 9-9 record. Although, its not unheard of for a player to find their game all of a sudden.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Ortio has shown massive potential in the past. If he put's it all together he can still be a very good goalie.
He obviously sucks this year, but it happens to young players. Despite that he still has a 9-9 record. Although, its not unheard of for a player to find their game all of a sudden.

It's also not unheard of for a player to become completely irrelevant despite their potential. Leland Irving being one of them.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
So maybe we should see how he does on this 2nd go round before we write him off?

He knows this could be his last shot, not only with us but potentially his last shot at an NHL gig.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's also not unheard of for a player to become completely irrelevant despite their potential. Leland Irving being one of them.

Oh I agree it can go either way. I'm not saying he will. My guess is he goes into one game a gets lit up.

As for Leland I honestly never thought he was a good pro goalie.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I was a big Ortio supporter coming into this year, but I've lost a good amount of confidence that he'll be part of the Flames future in any way.

He's been unimpressive in the AHL and only rarely do average AHLers perform better in the NHL.

I'm ok with giving him another shot given where we are in the season and the standings and considering Hiller is the best shot we have at making the playoffs at this point. This should be the least amount of pressure on Ortio to perform that he's going to get with this team so if he can't make a big slash, I'm fully ok writing him off with the big club.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hopefully Ortio can find his game. That looked real bad for Ramo, feel bad for him as he really has been good since coming back from the AHL.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Actually, he's headed to Arizona from Stockton. :teach:

Hehe.

He was assigned to Stockton, from Arizona, too.

He's been unimpressive in the AHL and only rarely do average AHLers perform better in the NHL.

This is untrue. There are plenty of examples of "mediocre" AHLer (by stats) performing well in the NHL. Corey Crawford and Pekka Rinne come to immediate mind. There almost isn't a correlation between AHL stats and NHL stats. They're a very different game with much better defense played in the NHL but much better shot-takers, whereas the AHL is helter-skelter but the shot-takers aren't very skilled.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
This is untrue. There are plenty of examples of "mediocre" AHLer (by stats) performing well in the NHL. Corey Crawford and Pekka Rinne come to immediate mind. There almost isn't a correlation between AHL stats and NHL stats. They're a very different game with much better defense played in the NHL but much better shot-takers, whereas the AHL is helter-skelter but the shot-takers aren't very skilled.

I hope to be proven wrong, obviously goalie development has a longer timeline than any other player so yeah, he could be a very legit tender, I just don't think we have the time or roster spots to wait him out.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Meh. Doubt he plays unless it's in relief should Hiller gets shelled or injured.

There's no real pressure so maybe he does well in those situations.

As for why he was recalled, Treliving needs to know whether he's worth qualifying.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly don't even think he'll play unless A) Hiller gets hurt or B) Hiller is horrific. I could seriously see Hiller starting 20 games in a row, look no further no Nakladal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He'll have to start a game or two for that to work...

Let's hope he doesn't get a chance. You can count the good games Ortio has had this year on one hand. Poor choice in recalling Ortio, IMO; he has not come close to outplaying Poulin.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Let's hope he doesn't get a chance. You can count the good games Ortio has had this year on one hand. Poor choice in recalling Ortio, IMO; he has not come close to outplaying Poulin.

Why wouldn't you want him to get a chance? At least then it's not a mystery if he still sucks or not.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Why wouldn't you want him to get a chance? At least then it's not a mystery if he still sucks or not.

I think he was recalled partly so the Flames can get a final look at him, and also because he won't play much so it ensures that Poulin gets more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad