Jonathan Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Yep. No fan of the Hawks considers the Cup in 2015 "ages ago". :laugh:

Try watching them your whole life without being able to watch playoff hockey more than once or twice in 30 years. Or, even better. Try listening to them on the radio because they're not televised due to the ridiculously greedy/cheapskate owner.

This is why I continually talk about spoiled ass fans lately.

Ya well not everyone here is 60 years old...

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I listen every day on my ride home, so smaller sample size, but the little bit I did hear where the Hawks came up in the last hour I didn't hear any happiness about it. As a whole the station isn't nearly as anti-hockey as people make it out to be, especially now that Bernstein has a kid that plays. Just about everyone in the city on any station is pretty uninformed about hockey, even those who are supposedly experts, (couple exceptions) but that's never going to change.
This was when they came on around 1:30pm. There are a few threads on the old Score message board about it, don't want to link them here. It was really only Goff and Bernstein didn't have much to say about it besides that nobody cares that the Hawks are bad.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Lost his perspective or changed his priorities? I think that is a fair question.

I said this a while ago, but at the end of the day Toews's legacy is up to him. The fact that we see 20-30 game spurts where he is engaged and dominate every season implies to me that he still has the ability but that he need to get the "fire" that made him great back. It is all up to him.

Funny thing about legacy. Time has a way of changing your memory of a player. Toews will probably always be given a pass for his shitty play now and in the future. People will remember the glory years. f***ing Eric Lindros just made into the hall of fame after all.

In Canada Toews is even bigger. That bilingual kid from Winnipeg. Listening to Babcock throw on all that praise for him made me want to yak. If you think he is big here go north.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think Captain Cauliflower lost his perspective a long time ago. Think about it from his perspective. He has been offensively inept for the past 2.7 years but up until this year the team still won. Best team in the western conference last year despite him. He has been able to play in the shadows of the rest of team for a long time now.

That you Matt Ravalich? The Captain Cauliflower nickname is almost as awful as the Corey Colander one.

Funny thing about legacy. Time has a way of changing your memory of a player. Toews will probably always be given a pass for his ****ty play now and in the future. People will remember the glory years. ****ing Eric Lindros just made into the hall of fame after all.

In Canada Toews is even bigger. That bilingual kid from Winnipeg. Listening to Babcock throw on all that praise for him made me want to yak. If you think he is big here go north.

Are you even a Hawks fan? Did JT knock up your sister? You seem kinda salty.

And why shouldn't people remember the glory years? Just because he was great at one time doesn't mean the entire fanbase should shit on him for not being as great anymore. :shakehead

I suppose the fans of all the great players in the game will spend all their time reminiscing about how they weren't as great as their careers went on, and completely forget/disregard how great they were earlier in their careers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Funny thing about legacy. Time has a way of changing your memory of a player. Toews will probably always be given a pass for his ****ty play now and in the future. People will remember the glory years. ****ing Eric Lindros just made into the hall of fame after all.

Yeah. Personally right now I view Toews as two different players.

Hint: I live north.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ya well not everyone here is 60 years old...

Who is 60 years old? :laugh:

I'm 33. I've been playing hockey and following the Hawks since I was 5 years old. You don't have to be 60 to have dealt with the disgusting shape this organization was in through the dark ages... Hint: The worst times were just 20-25 years ago. I wouldn't expect you to know that, though.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
This was when they came on around 1:30pm. There are a few threads on the old Score message board about it, don't want to link them here. It was really only Goff and Bernstein didn't have much to say about it besides that nobody cares that the Hawks are bad.

Yeah, they did mention similar near the end, about how a lot of people aren't really going to care and will just find something else to do, follow, etc.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I
Who is 60 years old? :laugh:

I'm 33. I've been playing hockey and following the Hawks since I was 5 years old. You don't have to be 60 to have dealt with the disgusting shape this organization was in through the dark ages... Hint: The worst times were just 20-25 years ago. I wouldn't expect you to know that, though.

You are just a complacent person, too comfortable, some people like excellence all the time some are just satisfied with whatever...

Reactions: BrianE

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I

You are just a complacent person, too comfortable, some people like excellence all the time some are just satisfied with whatever...

No, I can just appreciate what I've been able to see these last 10 years, especially after what I saw for the 20 before then. Particularly in comparison to... 26 other fanbases that haven't been able to see a Cup in the last decade. Most of them much, much longer, if ever.

Maybe enjoy life a little bit once in a while, huh?

Just satisfied with whatever? Your (allegedly)favorite team won 3 Cups out of the past 8... Because I can appreciate that, it makes me "just satisfied with whatever..." ????

You have any idea how hard it is to win the Cup? Just one of them? How many players spend their entire life pursuing it without ever getting their name etched on it?

But you keep doing you.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Blah, blah, blah, now some promising young players might not get a Cup because the team gets saddled with those albatross contracts failing to pull a fraction of their weight... I feel sorry for them.

Reactions: ModryJazyk

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
No, I can just appreciate what I've been able to see these last 10 years, especially after what I saw for the 20 before then. Particularly in comparison to... 26 other fanbases that haven't been able to see a Cup in the last decade. Most of them much, much longer, if ever.

Maybe enjoy life a little bit once in a while, huh?

Just satisfied with whatever? Your (allegedly)favorite team won 3 Cups out of the past 8... Because I can appreciate that, it makes me "just satisfied with whatever..." ????

You have any idea how hard it is to win the Cup? Just one of them? How many players spend their entire life pursuing it without ever getting their name etched on it?

But you keep doing you.

I am sure you were fine even before they won the cup, I am just saying some people are more complacent than others and that’s fine I am not judging you. There is no reason why this team shouldn’t be making the playoffs this year and if you are not frustrated about it I think you are not a real fan or again we go back to the complacent explanation, you just accept what comes...

Reactions: BrianE

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I am sure you were fine even before they won the cup, I am just saying some people are more complacent than others and that’s fine I am not judging you. There is no reason why this team shouldn’t be making the playoffs this year and if you are not frustrated about it I think you are not a real fan or again we go back to the complacent explanation, you just accept what comes...

I wasn't, actually. As someone who played the game from 5 on up, I wanted to win one myself. It's awesome to see my favorite team win one, even though I can't. Next best thing.

And I'm definitely frustrated about it. I'm definitely frustrated with their play. Because I know the team is better than they're showing. I'm definitely pissed off at players who look like they just don't give a shit anymore. Like Toews, who just doesn't seem to be putting in 100% effort every time he's on the ice anymore. Saw it last night. Watched him go disconnected controller on a backchecking play again, letting someone else handle the dirty work. I'm definitely frustrated with the idea that I won't get to watch a single game of PO hockey by the Hawks this season.(Although last year wasn't much better.)

I can just separate the two. I can be both happy with what I've been able to see, and disappointed and frustrated in what I'm seeing now. They're not mutually exclusive.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I wasn't, actually. As someone who played the game from 5 on up, I wanted to win one myself. It's awesome to see my favorite team win one, even though I can't. Next best thing.

And I'm definitely frustrated about it. I'm definitely frustrated with their play. Because I know the team is better than they're showing. I'm definitely pissed off at players who look like they just don't give a **** anymore. Like Toews, who just doesn't seem to be putting in 100% effort every time he's on the ice anymore. Saw it last night. Watched him go disconnected controller on a backchecking play again, letting someone else handle the dirty work. I'm definitely frustrated with the idea that I won't get to watch a single game of PO hockey by the Hawks this season.(Although last year wasn't much better.)

I can just separate the two. I can be both happy with what I've been able to see, and disappointed and frustrated in what I'm seeing now. They're not mutually exclusive.

I don’t know I recall you saying it doesn’t bother you much when the Hawks lose a couple months ago when we had a similar discussion.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You don't have to "give" people attention. Just watch a Twitter feed any time Kane is showcased in anything that has national attention. Anyone outside of Chicago can't stand him as a result of all of that and by proxy, hate the Blackhawks for how they handled it. Not arguing the merits of any of that, it's just the reality. People can sit and say "no one cares" all they want, they're wrong. No shortage of people not Blackhawks fans care a lot still. Whether you agree with that or not isn't the point, they're out there and that's the reality. And they aren't given any attention, they're making their voices known on their own regardless of anyone responding or acknowledging it.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of people that actually believe the Earth is flat. Do you care about their opinion too?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don’t know I recall you saying it doesn’t bother you much when the Hawks lose a couple months ago when we had a similar discussion.

It doesn't bother me much if they lose some games. Why would it bother anyone? No team wins every game. No team will ever go 82-0. And yes, I can handle them missing the POs for a year, improving the team in the offseason, and then coming right back into the thick of things the next year. But missing the POs, and not getting to see them play during the most exciting hockey I'll ever watch... yeah, that definitely blows. It's not like I'm not mad at it. Like I said before. I can just balance my anger, frustrations, etc with my appreciation for what they've accomplished, very well. :sueme:

Watching players who you were in awe of a couple years ago play like they're 60 years old... yeah, that blows too. As does watching a guy who out-coached numerous coaches on the road to Cups get out-coached time and time again at this point.

I just don't come on here to vent those frustrations and anger most the time.(although we're all obviously guilty of this at times) I come on here to discuss the team, the players, the organization, what I think of things, etc.

I mean, go through some of the GDTs where I'm more active, and watch me bitch about stuff constantly. It happens. More often than I'd like, honestly.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Then why does it matter what these people think when it comes to Kane? Their opinion is inconsequential. They are morons. They are the lunatic minority. And they can ride a rocket ship into the sun for all I care. Along with all the idiot flat earth people.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There are literally hundreds of thousands of people that actually believe the Earth is flat. Do you care about their opinion too?

You seem to be taking this as an attack on Kane which it isn't. I don't listen to the score full stop because of the Kane investigation. I work second shift so I'd always listen on my way in to work. Can't stand Bernstein. Can't stand DiCaro. But there's plenty of people like them who will bring noise, and enough people will take that noise at face value and not look past "alleged rapist".

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Yeah. Personally right now I view Toews as two different players.

Hint: I live north.

If you are flying in from the Great White North to watch games in Chicago you have a LOT of money. Kinda backs your cost argument.

Hell I live a few miles north of the UC and I find it a pain to go to games now. Got 4 tickets for the Ducks tomorrow and I don't want to go. The problem is no one else wants to go. Wanna buy them and fly in?

I agree though with the two players. His legacy will be the first guy. This shell of a player despite his young age will be forgotten in time. But not in the present and not in the next five years. You can feel the animosity building and I could see booing coming real soon.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

Toews should be remembered as a legend because he is.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Then why does it matter what these people think when it comes to Kane? Their opinion is inconsequential. They are morons. They are the lunatic minority. And they can ride a rocket ship into the sun for all I care. Along with all the idiot flat earth people.

My response to this was to your original post insinuating (how I took, anyway) people who feel this way only have a voice because people give them attention. Like they're being enabled or something, when they're out there screaming loud and clear plenty on their own regardless of who is paying attention or not. Especially when done via social media it doesn't matter if you aren't trying to pay attention or not, you see it all over your feed. Whatever the subject matter. And I was also speaking to whoever said "no one cares" because a shit ton of people still do, just like they care about any other athlete who's been accused, convicted, whatever of sexual assault or domestic abuse or anything of the sort.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel or how to care, nor am I saying that I care what anyone thinks. The truth of the matter is, whether it's public knowledge or not, whatever team in North America you follow, there's a guy (or more) on that team who's done some bad shit. If you boycott one, you may as well boycott pro sports. You learn to compartmentalize or you don't, and wind up being a hypocrite whether you know it or not.

And to that end, I'm moving on from this because it's gotten more back and forth than it ever should have gotten.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you are flying in from the Great White North to watch games in Chicago you have a LOT of money. Kinda backs your cost argument.

Hell I live a few miles north of the UC and I find it a pain to go to games now. Got 4 tickets for the Ducks tomorrow and I don't want to go. The problem is no one else wants to go. Wanna buy them and fly in?

I agree though with the two players. His legacy will be the first guy. This shell of a player despite his young age will be forgotten in time. But not in the present and not in the next five years. You can feel the animosity building and I could see booing coming real soon.

You have some weird fascination with my finances or it is coming off that way. Mostly joking.

I go to only a handful of games a year and can easily time it with trips for work but even if I couldn't flights are really cheap to Chicago.

From a moving tickets standpoint, it seems like your buyer list is a bit bandwagon type (not you personally). They people who buy our seats are hockey fans in general so that helps us out a lot along with early sales.

The booing is already happening and honestly I think longterm that will partially be what fixes him. Kane is a "love of the game" type while Toews is a "fire from within" type. Not saying Kane is not competitive, to be clear.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
You have some weird fascination with my finances or it is coming off that way. Mostly joking.

I go to only a handful of games a year and can easily time it with trips for work but even if I couldn't flights are really cheap to Chicago.

From a moving tickets standpoint, it seems like your buyer list is a bit bandwagon type (not you personally). They people who buy our seats are hockey fans in general so that helps us out a lot along with early sales.

The booing is already happening and honestly I think longterm that will partially be what fixes him. Kane is a "love of the game" type while Toews is a "fire from within" type. Not saying Kane is not competitive, to be clear.

Oh yeah? Den why din't he take less money and just play for da love of da game? I scrape by on my pay and live jus fyne, my frent. How much does a guy need?

Reactions: JaegerDice and RayP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->