Jonathan Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The tourney leader in goals and points, captained his Team Western to their first ever U17 title in Lethbridge tonight and proved he is one of the best '88's in the world! Could be the top pick in 2006! He may have been the best player in the tourney!

outKast*

HabLover said:
The tourney leader in goals and points, captained his Team Western to their first ever U17 title in Lethbridge tonight and proved he is one of the best '88's in the world! Could be the top pick in 2006! He may have been the best player in the tourney!
Michael Frolik also proved tonight that he is the favorite to be the "top pick" in the 06' draft when he showed up the older more experienced opponents that were the USA wjc team. 1G 1A at the bronze medal game. That move he made was outstanding. No offense against Toews, but he isn't worth getting excited about yet.

X-SHARKIE

HabLover said:

Can't waite to see the tape of the gold medal game and see Toews specifically. As well as Maxwell.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
outKast said:
Michael Frolik also proved tonight that he is the favorite to be the "top pick" in the 06' draft when he showed up the older more experienced opponents that were the USA wjc team. 1G 1A at the bronze medal game. That move he made was outstanding. No offense against Toews, but he isn't worth getting excited about yet.

Well, no offense to Frolik, but he wouldn't of had a chance in hell to make Team Canada, so a person can't hold that against Toews, cuz this was the best Team ever. He is a talent for sure and there is a long way to go before the '06 draft.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
your right that frolik wouldnt have made canada, but toews isnt in his league right now. he isnt in kessel, or joenssu's league either. hes in kyle okposo, erik johnson, and mark mitera's league, players that will be high 1st rounders, but not #1 overall.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Is Towes gonna go to the NCAA or the MJ route? I heard he was drafted with the top pic in the whl? So whats he gonna do?

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I believe it was reported that he is committed to UND, despite being the first overall pick in the WHL Bantam Draft by Tri-City (I Believe...could be wrong on both accounts)!!!

FSH2003

Jun 12, 2004
salostyle said:
I believe it was reported that he is committed to UND, despite being the first overall pick in the WHL Bantam Draft by Tri-City (I Believe...could be wrong on both accounts)!!!

your right on both accounts

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
HabLover said:

Haha. What a joke. Have you heard of the WJC's? You know the real tourneys of players U20? There were three guys that made their respective teams and two of them(Frolik and Kessel) showed times of dominance. In a tourney for players 1-3 yrs older than them, Id say they are rated higher than Toews who "was the best player in the tourney", which was a tourney full of late-15 and late-16 yr olds. There's a big difference and just because of their exposure, Kessel, Frolik, and Joensuu are ahead of him now.

With that said, theres alot of time for Toews to grow as a player and get just as good as the 3 top guys. But to try and rate Toews higher than atleast Kessel and Frolik is just homerism. Anywhere from 4-25 is realistic, right now, and it is where others have him.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Haha. What a joke. Have you heard of the WJC's? You know the real tourneys of players U20? There were three guys that made their respective teams and two of them(Frolik and Kessel) showed times of dominance. In a tourney for players 1-3 yrs older than them, Id say they are rated higher than Toews who "was the best player in the tourney", which was a tourney full of late-15 and late-16 yr olds. There's a big difference and just because of their exposure, Kessel, Frolik, and Joensuu are ahead of him now.

With that said, theres alot of time for Toews to grow as a player and get just as good as the 3 top guys. But to try and rate Toews higher than atleast Kessel and Frolik is just homerism. Anywhere from 4-25 is realistic, right now, and it is where others have him.

Kessel is an '87, while Toews is an '88, so there is a difference there, even though they may be in the same draft. I did say Toews could be one of the best '88's in the world, not '87's. Toews could play in 3 more WJC's while Kessel only 2 more. I highly doubt that Toews would've made Team USA, as Kessel didn't even make the team at 16, but I'm sure he would've have been considered for both the Czech's or Finns and probably have made it too. Both those teams were fairly weak, with the Czech's slightly better. Toews may have a chance at next year's Canadian entry at the WJC's, but with the high end talent at the '87 year for Canada, he may just miss the cut. But after his performance at this year's U17 tournament he should get consideration.

This tourney for your info. had only two 15 yr olds and is not full of late 15 yr olds as you suggest. Please get your information correct. Guys like Okposo or Johnson did nothing for Team USA and I'm sorry never led their team to the promise land, never mind the playoff round. Not too impressive for an all-star team from the USA, who play together all year!

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
Guys like Okposo or Johnson did nothing for Team USA and I'm sorry never led their team to the promise land, never mind the playoff round. Not too impressive for an all-star team from the USA, who play together all year!

They beat the team Toews was on. Team USA's problem is they had one bad period which led to a loss and that one period knocked them out of contention. Get a grip on reality. :shakehead

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
They beat the team Toews was on. Team USA's problem is they had one bad period which led to a loss and that one period knocked them out of contention. Get a grip on reality. :shakehead

The U.S. should always be in contention for a gold medal in this tournament. They are playing regional Canadian teams who are thrown together less than a week before the start of the tournament and teams from Europe who are missing key players and mainly come over to play for the experience. How we managed to get beat by Ontario and tie Slovakia is beyond me.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
HabLover said:
Please get your information correct. Guys like Okposo or Johnson did nothing for Team USA and I'm sorry never led their team to the promise land, never mind the playoff round. Not too impressive for an all-star team from the USA, who play together all year!

You need to get your info correct. This is an unneccessary, indirect shot that shows just who you are. You really need to get away from judging hockey players by their nationality. Nowhere, NOWHERE in my post did I pledge any "allegiance" to team USA. If there was a good hockey player from Madagascar, Id like him. You on the other hand have serious issues. You need :help:

HabLover said:
Kessel is an '87, while Toews is an '88, so there is a difference there, even though they may be in the same draft. I did say Toews could be one of the best '88's in the world, not '87's.

When you talk about the 2006 draft, as you did, it is basically referring to '88s and guys who were cut off from the previous year of '87. OOOH, Im sorry really sorry. Kessel is 6-7 months older. Big deal. Its not like he grew eyes on the back of his head in those months he had on Toews. IF it is as big of a deal as you make it out to be, Evgeni Malkin would have unseated Ovechkin, but that didnt happen.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Hablover...

I think you've got a tendency to place too much emphasis on stats for this tournament. There are many examples of players who have put up a ton of points in this tournament but didn't end up being the best in their age group. I remember in the '85 age group that the Czech line of Petr Vrana, Vojtech Polak, and Ivo Kratena dominated statistically with something like 15 points a piece. In the NHL draft two went in the second round while one went undrafted. This year, the only player to make the Czech WJC team of the three was Vrana.

Another good example from the US team last year is Nick Foligno who outscored Phil Kessel. However, nobody would say that that proves Foligno is the better player. Heck, Jack Skille and Ryan Stoa didn't even get a point a game and a number of publications have them as first rounders for this years draft.

Winning and losing also isn't the best barometer of talent. Most people would say that the US '87 squad who finished 4th is way more talented than the US '85 group who won the whole thing. That US '85 team didn't include Patrick O'Sullivan or Dan Fritsche who were thought of as easily being the top US '85 forwards. Instead, forwards like Robbie Earl, TJ Hensick and John Vigilante led the US to victory, including a 7-2 win over an Ontario team which included guys like Nathan Horton, Jeff Carter, Corey Perry and Mike Richards. That's a sixth rounder, a likely third rounder, and an undrafted player against four first rounders just off the top of my head.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
cagney said:
I think you've got a tendency to place too much emphasis on stats for this tournament. There are many examples of players who have put up a ton of points in this tournament but didn't end up being the best in their age group. I remember in the '85 age group that the Czech line of Petr Vrana, Vojtech Polak, and Ivo Kratena dominated statistically with something like 15 points a piece. In the NHL draft two went in the second round while one went undrafted. This year, the only player to make the Czech WJC team of the three was Vrana.

Another good example from the US team last year is Nick Foligno who outscored Phil Kessel. However, nobody would say that that proves Foligno is the better player. Heck, Jack Skille and Ryan Stoa didn't even get a point a game and a number of publications have them as first rounders for this years draft.

Winning and losing also isn't the best barometer of talent. Most people would say that the US '87 squad who finished 4th is way more talented than the US '85 group who won the whole thing. That US '85 team didn't include Patrick O'Sullivan or Dan Fritsche who were thought of as easily being the top US '85 forwards. Instead, forwards like Robbie Earl, TJ Hensick and John Vigilante led the US to victory, including a 7-2 win over an Ontario team which included guys like Nathan Horton, Jeff Carter, Corey Perry and Mike Richards. That's a sixth rounder, a likely third rounder, and an undrafted player against four first rounders just off the top of my head.
If I remember correctly Vrana led the tourney with 16 points.....they ran right through the tourney with one line. Kratena went to the WHL and couldn't cut it and super goal scorer Polak....what did happen to Polak?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
HabLover said:
Toews, pronounced Taves, will not come close to #1, Frolik, Kessel, and Joensuu have 1/2/3 locked up, as of now, and I don't see that changing. Toews will be at best a top 10 pick, but at my guess 10-15 range.

Okposo has played better at Shattucks. That says something.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I wouldn't mind NJ drafting Towes. Glen Dirk was at the tourney and probably seen Towes do his stuff. Towes and Sheppard are on my radar for the Devils. Both led their teams at the tourney, Sheppard moreso for a surprise Atlantic Team.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
If I remember correctly Vrana led the tourney with 16 points.....they ran right through the tourney with one line. Kratena went to the WHL and couldn't cut it and super goal scorer Polak....what did happen to Polak?

He was a second round pick by Dallas in 2003. He looked like a pretty good prospect in his draft year (he had 16 points that year in the Czech Extraliga which is very good production for a player that age) but has been getting worse each year since then apparently. A lot of people around here were surprised when he was cut from the Czech WJC team but it seems that those who have seen him weren't.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
just because it is "team usa" doesnt mean its a team of the usa's best players. look at how many good 87s either never gave the program a chance, or committed and then went elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad