Player Discussion: Jonathan Marchessault

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Maybe Cooper will be confused by the new number, forget it's Marchessault, and actually play him more. :P

"Oh a new player? Gotta try him out!"

Could this mean he was told he's here to stay for a while longer (as in extension - he's a pending RFA)?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd like to see him with Stamkos. If we reunite TKO (I think it's time), we're back into a situation where we have to find Stamkos linemates.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
id do triplets now
stamkos vladdy callahan vladdy at least would do good sending stuff to net and as long as cally would go there it wouldnt be terrible i think

I never want to see Stamkos-Callahan again. Killorn I can live with, even if I'd rather see him on the 3rd.

Maybe even something like: 23-90-91. On a trial basis. Or 42-90-91.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Good for JAM to get a new number that he likes. I never understood keeping a number like 42. It just seems awkward. To be truthful I never understood "high numbers" once you get past 39 because there's only 20 guys on the team. Doubling numbers like Gretzky did to make 99 I get. 44, 55, 77 and 88 make sense and even numbers like 71 and 91 and 81 make sense since on so many teams a number like 17, 18 and 19 is either already taken or retired and you just switch the digits. But 42? Unless you're the guy who can't seem to get the number 24 it just doesn't make sense.

For the record, Vasilevskiy, Kucherov and Nesterov all have asking WTF about 86, 88 and 89. Who wears 86 at all, what defenseman wears 89 and what goalie has EVER worn 88? Total head scratcher

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The potential was always there. He just didn't have a place in our top 6.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The potential was always there. He just didn't have a place in our top 6.

Even when there was plenty of room and we couldn't score to save our lives. Because, you know, two nets.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He was a UFA. Maybe they made him and offer and maybe they didn't. But they couldn't afford to re-sign him without losing someone else. Let's not forget that Kucherov took a crazy RFA deal and they were still barely under the ceiling. Maybe JAM = no Kucherov. You want to make that tradeoff ?

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Bull...we signed Killorn to the deal we did and we couldn't make an offer to this guy to coax him into a role with us?

Swing and a miss by Yzerman.

JM would be a top line winger for us right now the way things have gone

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Rumor is that the full court press was put on to try to keep him but the Lightning weren't keen on the 2nd year of the deal. They were frustrated that he chose Florida. Oddly enough, the 2nd year of the deal he wanted is going to cost him a lot of money. He bet against himself just prior to a breakout season. The fact that he didn't skate in the playoffs a lot really turned him off of the Lightning for depth reasons. He didn't envision getting the opportunity.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Rumor is that the full court press was put on to try to keep him but the Lightning weren't keen on the 2nd year of the deal. They were frustrated that he chose Florida. Oddly enough, the 2nd year of the deal he wanted is going to cost him a lot of money. He bet against himself just prior to a breakout season. The fact that he didn't skate in the playoffs a lot really turned him off of the Lightning for depth reasons. He didn't envision getting the opportunity.

This is what I had heard, but more so for the scoring line opportunity than for the second year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Career AHLer according to Macho ;)

Been high on JAM since he came up, most AHL call ups are pure energy guys who hustle but don't generate offense (Dumont, Bournival) rarely do these guys show they can create offense. Peca is our next JAM, liked what I saw from him here and Erne is a given.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Bull...we signed Killorn to the deal we did and we couldn't make an offer to this guy to coax him into a role with us?

Not really, he wasn't going to get a chance here. JAM wasn't going to sign here and Yzerman can't see the future.

He signed for a 3rd line role in Florida with oppertunity over a what was at the time a permanent 4th line role in Tampa, hard decision eh?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In fairness, he's not playing in front of the goaltending he had in Tampa anymore. His possession metrics aren't overwhelming, but they're not terrible. He's a good little 7th forward.

Maybe Luongo wouldn't look so bad this year if Marchessault wasn't useless defensively. Florida also has very similar goaltending to us and we have no players who are now a -16 for the year. If Stamkos and Callahan were healthy this year Marchessault isn't potting 20 and is way lower than a 7th forward, he found a nice team that's given him the type of minutes he wouldn't get here but it's not a massive loss for us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We did make him an offer. He went with Florida for the opportunity. I'm putting this one on Cooper too.

There was a point last year where we really needed some scoring and were scratching Marchessault in favor of guys like Condra. These things worry me with Cooper. I think he's been better this year though (Point), so maybe a lot of the "never play young forwards in a scoring role" thing was coming from Thomas.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Maybe Luongo wouldn't look so bad this year if Marchessault wasn't useless defensively. Florida also has very similar goaltending to us and we have no players who are now a -16 for the year. If Stamkos and Callahan were healthy this year Marchessault isn't potting 20 and is way lower than a 7th forward, he found a nice team that's given him the type of minutes he wouldn't get here but it's not a massive loss for us.

I stopped reading when plus minus was cited as evidence that a player is useless defensively. Have we all, collectively, not advanced past that mindset yet with all the data we have at our disposal presently? Aaron Ekblad is a -22 on that team. They're just getting worked all over the place. I wouldn't put that at Marchessault's feet when the whole team has a -24 differential. For as bad as you guys feel the Lightning have been this year, they're still a plus team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I stopped reading when plus minus was cited as evidence that a player is useless defensively. Have we all, collectively, not advanced past that mindset yet with all the data we have at our disposal presently? Aaron Ekblad is a -22 on that team. They're just getting worked all over the place. I wouldn't put that at Marchessault's feet when the whole team has a -24 differential. For as bad as you guys feel the Lightning have been this year, they're still a plus team.

So the team is -24 in goal differential, you would think everyone would have a bad plus minus. Well Jagr, who no one will call a defensive forward is +6 while Marchessault is -18 that's a 24 goal differential. Marchessault is a good PP scorer but not that good at 5 on 5 to make up for his poor defensive ability. The player we should be upset is gone is Connolly, he's turned into the perfect player for our 3rd line. He's a depth scorer who might pot 20 and is a physical forechecker, we could've used that in that Cup run.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
So the team is -24 in goal differential, you would think everyone would have a bad plus minus. Well Jagr, who no one will call a defensive forward is +6 while Marchessault is -18 that's a 24 goal differential. Marchessault is a good PP scorer but not that good at 5 on 5 to make up for his poor defensive ability. The player we should be upset is gone is Connolly, he's turned into the perfect player for our 3rd line. He's a depth scorer who might pot 20 and is a physical forechecker, we could've used that in that Cup run.
Coburn was pretty good that year in the playoffs. I have zero problems saying he was better than what Gudas would've brought in that run. Coburn was good. Now it's a different story, I'd take Gudas back but you can't say we could've used him when we needed defense as well and got Coburn in return.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coburn was pretty good that year in the playoffs. I have zero problems saying he was better than what Gudas would've brought in that run. Coburn was good. Now it's a different story, I'd take Gudas back but you can't say we could've used him when we needed defense as well and got Coburn in return.

Gudas was out for the year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad