Player Discussion: Jonathan Marchessault

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I've been pretty busy with university stuff so I haven't been able to check out any training camp footage, but Jonathan Marchessault's name keeps sticking out to me. Can anybody tell me what the deal is with this kid- his style of play, his chance of making the team, his potential?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I've been pretty busy with university stuff so I haven't been able to check out any training camp footage, but Jonathan Marchessault's name keeps sticking out to me. Can anybody tell me what the deal is with this kid- his style of play, his chance of making the team, his potential?

Undersized. Speedy. Got a finisher's touch. Reminds me a bit of Johnson, just without the excellent defense.

I wouldn't say his chances are very good. May earn the title of 2nd or 3rd call-up, but I think his skillset is redundant in our top 9 and I don't think he's better than any of the other players currently in those spots. Or at least doesn't hold the contract advantage that some others have.

Potential? Speedy, 35-40 point winger is his ceiling in my opinion.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Undersized. Speedy. Got a finisher's touch. Reminds me a bit of Johnson, just without the excellent defense.

I wouldn't say his chances are very good. May earn the title of 2nd or 3rd call-up, but I think his skillset is redundant in our top 9 and I don't think he's better than any of the other players currently in those spots. Or at least doesn't hold the contract advantage that some others have.

Potential? Speedy, 35-40 point winger is his ceiling in my opinion.

Maybe it's just the number (42), but he kind of looks like a slightly slower version of Dana Tyrell with better hands. Bit of a crash-and-bang style too. (I think I just described Cory Conacher.)

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Maybe it's just the number (42), but he kind of looks like a slightly slower version of Dana Tyrell with better hands. Bit of a crash-and-bang style too. (I think I just described Cory Conacher.)

I'd say a slower Tyrell with better hands and instincts is a pretty apt description. Don't think he's quite as fearless as Conacher, though the offensive talent may be comparable.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd say a slower Tyrell with better hands and instincts is a pretty apt description. Don't think he's quite as fearless as Conacher, though the offensive talent may be comparable.

Yeah. Conacher was/is(?) like a mini-cannonball. JAM is just a guy who battles through. Stronger than he looks, IMO.

He might have had a legit shot to make the team if the other forward hopefuls had not also been so stellar. Namestnikov has been arguably the best Bolt of the pre-season, and the coaching staff might not be able to make room for him. So unless there are some surprising cuts (Connolly, Panik, Barberio), I don't see any way JAM makes the team out of camp. But he's definitely forced his way up the depth chart.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
BP's scouting report on him:

Strengths:
An excellent playmaker and stickhandler, he sees the ice very well and is quite patient with the puck. Is also a natural at putting points on the board. Is versatile up front.

Weaknesses:
A lack of size and strength hinders his overall value as a top-six forward prospect at the National Hockey League level. Also needs to continue to work on his game without the puck.

Projection:
Skilled playmaker with upside.
http://boltprospects.com/jonathan-audy-marchessault

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I agree all that has been said but to me he is mixture

size tyjo heart tyjo plays going to net makes things happen so maybe equal to killorn.

Kid has game he fights through it not as skilled as johnson but maybe close as said to killer.

Guy is an nhl player to me for sure.

He has looked excellent yes scored goals but am most impressed by his lack of fearlessness knowing where to be and being in front of net and fighting not fist fighting but he doesnt get beat up in offensive zone and for his size that is a gift.

Very dangerous and is a nice commodity to have very impressed and happy we have him for injuries.

Not sure on his defense much will get a better feel listening to the crunch games this year him namestnikov and kucherov really dont spend a lot of time in the d zone haha.

Like a highlight film they are DANGEROUS

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks guys :) Hopefully he turns into a useful asset, although from what it sounds like his skill set is a little redundant for us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We'll see what happens, but let's just remember, we got this guy (and Dalton Smith) for Tyrell and Taormina, who were unlikely to ever be regulars with our team. He looks like a pretty good asset right now, and he's not doing anything to show he can't play in the NHL soon.

At the very least, assuming he plays a full year with Namestnikov in Syracuse, he'll drive his trade value through the roof compared to what we landed him for.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
If his skill set is a bit redundant for our organization at the time, what's the chance we look to use him as a trade piece? Especially since he's been very good in the pre-season.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
If his skill set is a bit redundant for our organization at the time, what's the chance we look to use him as a trade piece? Especially since he's been very good in the pre-season.

I'd say quite high. I like the kid, but there's just too much of him on the roster.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Who or what would you trade him for though? I say keep him (for now). Injuries are inevitable. Worst case he'll be a 1st line forward for Syracuse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Let him rack up some points in Syracuse. Then, if we can get something we need, we'll take it. As of right now what we need is a guy who can rack up points in Syracuse.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Don't trade him unless an outstanding opportunity comes around. He'll be on Namestnikov's wing and will play a big part in Syracuse's success this year. He needs to have a strong offensive year.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Anyone think this kid will ever make the NHL? he scores but he is tiny and TBL are so deep at forward.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Anyone think this kid will ever make the NHL? he scores but he is tiny and TBL are so deep at forward.

He played one game for us this year and has played three in his career, so yes he can make the NHL.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

I think he can absolutely play in the NHL. Kid has serious skill and speed. In my spreadsheet I have him in the NHL next year taking Morrows spot. His development at the AHL level is done after this season...so he better catch on somewhere (hopefully with us) and I think he can make the roster as a cheap healthy scratch option. He'd be in the NHL this year if more injuries...he was our third Syracuse call up option after Vladdy/Paquette. I honestly would rather have Marchessault rather than Brown. Brown being more of a physical player but Marchessault beating him by a long shot on the skill and scoring department. Brown has a bit more speed and Marchessault is more shifty.

Drouin next year gets out of the 4th line...Marchessault/Boyle/Brown would be pretty solid 4th. I mean we are playing Drouin/Boyle/Brown now...

I'm really impressed with Carter Ashton too...good size/skating. Gets to front of net and really good skating for a kid that size. Can see why he'd be a first round pick. If we can get Ashton to play more physically like the transformation Connolly has done...I'd like to see him on the fourth line as well.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The guy's a gamer, stepped up when we needed it most. He has two goals in his last two games, creates offense, doesn't play around and puts the puck on the net and wins faceoffs when asked to step into the circle. What a pleasant surprise!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The guy's a gamer, stepped up when we needed it most. He has two goals in his last two games, creates offense, doesn't play around and puts the puck on the net and wins faceoffs when asked to step into the circle. What a pleasant surprise!

We've had too many unpleasant surprises this year.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Maybe Cooper will be confused by the new number, forget it's Marchessault, and actually play him more. :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad