Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - So comman Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Pretty sure people on here defend Galchenyuk more then Drouin. Not sure if there's any consistency here.

It was made pretty clear what was going on once we saw Drouin’s usuage so it should come as no surprise that more people have stepped up in defence of Galchenyuk. At the end of day, it doesn’t matter what the fans think. They aren’t the ones playing DeLaRose and Byron as top 6 centers and claiming they have no other options.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Some fans just think that whoever is traded away will be better than whoever we get back. It speaks to a lack of confidence in management more than anything to do with reality. The reality is that Sergachev is playing on a much better team and is being given easy minutes because their team has depth enough to cover for him. But because he's putting up points somewhere else Montreal fans think he's the second coming of Bobby Orr.

I'm no fan of Bergevin but all he did was trade a prospect who hadn't played a single NHL game for a more proven commodity nearly as young as the one he gave up who had produced at an NHL level. We need players with offensive ability and Drouin has that. When he was in Tampa people bitched about how the Habs let another francophone who can score get taken from under their noses. Now that he's here he's obviously crap. It's the old "I would never want to join a club that would have me as a member" syndrome.

The truth of the matter is that Drouin isn't as bad as he's looked nor is Sergachev as good as he's looked. This was not a slam-dunk win for either team nor is it a slam-dunk failure either. Every player on the Habs roster with only a couple of exceptions had a crap season. I'm not prepared to declare that a 22 or 23 year old kid who proved with Tampa that he has the ability to be an offensive catalyst is now a bum for life because he didn't light it up right out of the gate playing out of position with a new team that has a fraction of the talent that Tampa has. I'm also not going to declare that Sergachev is a franchise defenseman simply because he had a good season on a stacked team. At the time of the trade, Drouin was the more proven and more valuable asset.

As bad as the Habs' blue line was this season, this team has never had problems drafting good defensemen (and they practically wrote the book on how to waste first round picks on fourth line wingers who can't hit the ocean from a beach) Its weakness has been its inability to draft offensive talents like Drouin. So we don't have Sergachev. Big deal. If he had stayed we'd still be out of the playoffs, he'd be exposed (especially with the injury to Weber) and not have nearly the numbers he's got in Tampa and we'd still be looking for guys who can score. The simple fact is that scorers are more rare than defensemen. We can draft another Sergachev pretty much every year.

In 2017-18 the Habs defense corps and goaltending had a bad year. But the Habs offense (such as it is) has had a decade's worth of bad years. That is the area that needs to be addressed. Goaltending and defense will take care of itself as long as Price reverts to the mean and Weber stays healthy. This season was an outlier on the back end. But the problems up front never seem to go away. I don't care who your goalie is or who you've got playing defense. If you can't score you can't win. This team does not score enough. It needs a Drouin more than it needs a Sergachev.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Some fans just think that whoever is traded away will be better than whoever we get back. It speaks to a lack of confidence in management more than anything to do with reality. The reality is that Sergachev is playing on a much better team and is being given easy minutes because their team has depth enough to cover for him. But because he's putting up points somewhere else Montreal fans think he's the second coming of Bobby Orr.

I'm no fan of Bergevin but all he did was trade a prospect who hadn't played a single NHL game for a more proven commodity nearly as young as the one he gave up who had produced at an NHL level. We need players with offensive ability and Drouin has that. When he was in Tampa people *****ed about how the Habs let another francophone who can score get taken from under their noses. Now that he's here he's obviously crap. It's the old "I would never want to join a club that would have me as a member" syndrome.

The truth of the matter is that Drouin isn't as bad as he's looked nor is Sergachev as good as he's looked. This was not a slam-dunk win for either team nor is it a slam-dunk failure either. Every player on the Habs roster with only a couple of exceptions had a crap season. I'm not prepared to declare that a 22 or 23 year old kid who proved with Tampa that he has the ability to be an offensive catalyst is now a bum for life because he didn't light it up right out of the gate playing out of position with a new team that has a fraction of the talent that Tampa has. I'm also not going to declare that Sergachev is a franchise defenseman simply because he had a good season on a stacked team. At the time of the trade, Drouin was the more proven and more valuable asset.

As bad as the Habs' blue line was this season, this team has never had problems drafting good defensemen (and they practically wrote the book on how to waste first round picks on fourth line wingers who can't hit the ocean from a beach) Its weakness has been its inability to draft offensive talents like Drouin. So we don't have Sergachev. Big deal. If he had stayed we'd still be out of the playoffs, he'd be exposed (especially with the injury to Weber) and not have nearly the numbers he's got in Tampa and we'd still be looking for guys who can score. The simple fact is that scorers are more rare than defensemen. We can draft another Sergachev pretty much every year.

In 2017-18 the Habs defense corps and goaltending had a bad year. But the Habs offense (such as it is) has had a decade's worth of bad years. That is the area that needs to be addressed. Goaltending and defense will take care of itself as long as Price reverts to the mean and Weber stays healthy. This season was an outlier on the back end. But the problems up front never seem to go away. I don't care who your goalie is or who you've got playing defense. If you can't score you can't win. This team does not score enough. It needs a Drouin more than it needs a Sergachev.

Apart from one playoff run where he produced (mostly on the PP), Drouin has never been a catalyst. And even then, he never really carried a line, he needed to be provided space.

Also, scorers are rarer than defenceman? Really? In the sense that guys like Drouin are rarer than guys like Schlemko, sure. But I guarantee you more teams want to upgrade their defence than their forward groups. Good defencemen are really hard to find.

And even if we go with the ifs that Price will bounce back and Weber will be healthy and good, Montreal's D-core is still bad. Really bad. Petry has been overworked, Mete and Juulsen still need a lot of work, Alzner is atrocious, and everyone else are replacement level. The D still doesn't have someone than can consistently stretch the ice and create space in transition, which is a must in the modern NHL. And guys that do that well are as rare as #1 C's, if not rarer.

You want good team defence? You're going to need forwards that can backcheck, defend well and support the D along with a strong D-core. You want good team offense? You're going to need D that can transition the puck well and create space off the rush and in the cycle for forwards.

The reality is that there is reason to be concerned that Montreal traded their top-D prospect, who has had a lot of success in the NHL as a 19 year old (which is rare) for a one dimensional forward that hasn't produced all that well when put in prime offense situations. If Drouin is a winger, then he'd better take a leap forward, since the Habs traded from a situation of weakness to bolster a situation of (relative) strength and gave up age and cap flexibility.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Drouin is a fine player. But it's honestly similar to the Weber trade in that the Canadiens gave up the slightly better asset to fix a position with a solution that wasn't worth the cost. He's been better as of lately but again, is trading for Tanguay 2.0 worth giving up a 19 year old Sergachev especially when Markov walked 4 weeks later?

Jul 6, 2016
Giving him the #1 center position was a huge mistake.... But who else could had played center this year on this team. Not Galchenyuk for sure, either.

Drouin was placed in a bad situation. Put him back on the wing, and he will be way more productive.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Jonathan Drouin will score __ points for the Canadiens (assuming 75 GP):
Chris Johnston: 62
Iain MacIntyre: 66
Mark Spector: 60
Eric Engels: 66
Luke Fox: 62
Daren Millard: 70
David Amber: 60
Eric Francis: 65
Gord Stellick: 56
Nick Kypreos: 75
Jeff Marek: 70
Kristina Rutherford: 68
Sean McIndoe: 65
Doug MacLean: 70
Rory Boylen: 61

Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions for 2017-18 season - Sportsnet.ca

Reality: 46 pts...ouch

Reactions: ottawa

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
"For me the biggest thing is consistency, some nights I’m there, some nights I’m not. I can’t have that. That’s one thing I’ve got to learn. But it’s tough to create a lot of stuff when the team’s not doing that well.” - Jonathan Drouin.

It’s a problem his whole career he’s 23 now about time he put the big boy pants on and realize his career/life is passing him by

Reactions: OldCraig71

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
This was not a slam-dunk win for either team
It sure was for Tampa. They traded a player they had no need for that was due for a big pay raise they couldn't afford

For

A 19 YO PMD wich was probably their biggest need, a cost controlled asset long enough for them to go all in for 2-3 years, posting 40 points in his first season. It's good for second on his D squad for points, more than double the points total of #3. Yes , he played on a good team, but he also contributed to their success.

It's not even close.

Last edited:

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I'm no fan of Bergevin but all he did was trade a prospect who hadn't played a single NHL game for a more proven commodity nearly as young as the one he gave up who had produced at an NHL level.
Let's trade our first for Fiala then, he could be our 2nd line C :sarcasm:

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I did not like the trade for Drouin for the simple reason I value more Dmen then wingers. However there is a bit of injustice in how this trade is viewed here. Sergachev would have been horrible on this team (specially this year). Just like it was crazy to ask a guy like Mete to play top pairing minutes in is first season.

Lets assume and I know it is far from a done deal that we sign Tavares? move Drouin to the wing. I think we will see a very different version of Drouin. One that brings this trade closer to what management expected when they did it.

Crossing my fingers for JT and Dhalin. This would in my opinion turn things around quite quickly.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
"For me the biggest thing is consistency, some nights I’m there, some nights I’m not. I can’t have that. That’s one thing I’ve got to learn. But it’s tough to create a lot of stuff when the team’s not doing that well.” - Jonathan Drouin.

It’s a problem his whole career he’s 23 now about time he put the big boy pants on and realize his career/life is passing him by
Drouin's life expectancy just got cut into half apparently

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Giving him the #1 center position was a huge mistake.... But who else could had played center this year on this team. Not Galchenyuk for sure, either.

Drouin was placed in a bad situation. Put him back on the wing, and he will be way more productive.
So Drouin's attitude on the ice this season doesn't have you worried? If he continues with the same antics of giving up on plays, pouting and sulking I don't see a chance of more productivity next season.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Did he really say that? Here's the subtext I get from that statement.

For me the biggest thing is consistency, some nights I’m there, some nights I’m not. I can’t have that. That’s one thing I’ve got to learn. But it’s tough to create a lot of stuff when the team’s CRAP.”

I can see why MB likes him. He blames others for his incompetence. Hey Wonder Boy maybe one of the reasons the team isn't doing well is because you're not playing well.

Reactions: ottawa

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Did he really say that? Here's the subtext I get from that statement.

For me the biggest thing is consistency, some nights I’m there, some nights I’m not. I can’t have that. That’s one thing I’ve got to learn. But it’s tough to create a lot of stuff when the team’s CRAP.”

I can see why MB likes him. He blames others for his incompetence. Hey Wonder Boy maybe one of the reasons the team isn't doing well is because you're not playing well.
Here's the subtext I get from that statement...

He, like the entire team, has been crap.

Something every Habs fan agrees with.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Did any other Hab state that he couldn't create because the team didn't play well?
I don't know why that even matters...we're not talking about what others said, we're talking about what Drouin said.

And again we've all acknowledged that the team is crap, why are you feeling some type of way cause he said what we all think and say every day?

He stated the obvious

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So Drouin's attitude on the ice this season doesn't have you worried? If he continues with the same antics of giving up on plays, pouting and sulking I don't see a chance of more productivity next season.
So our genius gives JD a 6 year deal for 33 million.
200w.webp

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't know why that even matters...we're not talking about what others said, we're talking about what Drouin said.

And again we've all acknowledged that the team is crap, why are you feeling some type of way cause he said what we all think and say every day?

He stated the obvious
No, he didn't state the obvious. He was making excuses and blaming other people for his lack of production. What an A-hole! Drouin was pampered & spoiled all season long and he rewards management and coaching and more importantly his fellow team mates with that passive aggressive statement. All I have to say is buckle up because next season we're gonna see fireworks with this prima donna.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He’s basically a smaller version of Tanguay

I love his skills but didn’t know he was that small

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

73dbc7942eeefec82a766e7e528071e8.jpg

Reactions: Peanut and Habs178

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Pretty sure people on here defend Galchenyuk more then Drouin. Not sure if there's any consistency here.

Pretty sure it's because Galchenyuk has proven more than Drouin and deserved more "defending" than Drouin.

Also until about the 30th game of the season, Drouin was defended by most here, including me because he was put in a position that he can't be at his best... but after that it was obvious it was much more than that.

It's also normal that a player gets defended because he's playing on the 4th line while the team needs offense and he's one of the best to provide that.. Drouin got top line duties on a silver platter and was never punished or demoted this his lack of commitment and work ethic. He was treated with kid gloves by the organization... he didn't need much defending.

Galchenyuk was defended more because there was a double standards from the organization that always prefered the french-canadian players over him. It was DD now it's Drouin. Galchenyuk was the scapegoat of this team in the last 3-4 years.. while DD and Drouin never really got demoted or punished.

Jul 6, 2016
Pretty sure it's because Galchenyuk has proven more than Drouin and deserved more "defending" than Drouin.

Also until about the 30th game of the season, Drouin was defended by most here, including me because he was put in a position that he can't be at his best... but after that it was obvious it was much more than that.

It's also normal that a player gets defended because he's playing on the 4th line while the team needs offense and he's one of the best to provide that.. Drouin got top line duties on a silver platter and was never punished or demoted this his lack of commitment and work ethic. He was treated with kid gloves by the organization... he didn't need much defending.

Galchenyuk was defended more because there was a double standards from the organization that always prefered the french-canadian players over him. It was DD now it's Drouin. Galchenyuk was the scapegoat of this team in the last 3-4 years.. while DD and Drouin never really got demoted or punished.

Keep living with your illusions...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Things are not changing as long as Bergevin is still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->