Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - So comman Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
JD is a complimentry player who needs a good center.....the guy is an average winger, thats it

JD is NOT a game changer....he isn't a Phil Kessel....he isn't the guy who is going to step it up and win you important games in the playoffs.....unfortunately that is what MB is hoping for

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Disagree how these are so different. Are you really going to suggest criticism you give Plekanec for coaches usage differs from all the please criticism of Desharnais' usage over guys like Galchenyuk/Eller etc?

I don't know - you'd have to tell me which posters your talking about.

But we're probably straying away from the thread topic and i'm trying to stay away from Plekanec debates - but if you feel it necessary, I guess post it in the Plekanec or OT thread, I don't know?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
JD is a complimentry player who needs a good center.....the guy is an average winger, thats it

JD is NOT a game changer....he isn't a Phil Kessel....he isn't the guy who is going to step it up and win you important games in the playoffs.....unfortunately that is what MB is hoping for

So if he is not...who is a game changer in this team in the playoffs..??

Not Galchenyuk with his 13 points in 28 playoffs games so far ....he was a ghost every time..

Drouin did 14 points...in just 17 games with Tampa 2 years ago at 20 years old... I remember watching him in the third round against Pitt....and he was so dangerous.

Play Drouin on the wing next year where he should and we will talk.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

absolutely nobody!!......which is why we have been failing miserably in the playoffs

Drouin did 14 points...in just 17 games with Tampa 2 years ago at 20 years old... I remember watching him in the third round against Pitt....and he was so dangerous.

exactly my point.....he had good line mates

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

One problem with the playoff warrior cliche is shown here...I'd like to see a larger sample size not surrounded by stacked talent.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
One problem with the playoff warrior cliche is shown here...I'd like to see a larger sample size not surrounded by stacked talent.
Stacked talent ?? Stamkov did not played at all in those playoffs and Palat and Johnson had a terrible year.

I watched him during those playoffs and Drouin was so good with so much explosion...

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That's how all players are criticized. Desharnais to Shaw to Alzner. He was the best C on the team and got played the most. Management's incompetence got him 6M.
Exactly.

But with the big money will come ridicule if you out and out stink. Lots in the GM, but some will go to player.......right or wrong.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Stacked talent ?? Stamkov did not played at all in those playoffs and Palat and Johnson had a terrible year.

I watched him during those playoffs and Drouin was so good with so much explosion...
and this year does not count?

As Wayne Gretzky said....."you are as good as your last game".

Not what you did once upon a time for another team that has since traded you for a prospect.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Absolutely. After putting him with two bulldogs like Gallagher & Byron, how could he not work harder than he did earlier in the year. It's a good sign that he's responded well from the change.
Nah....We want Pleks back with Gally...... July 1st. lol

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I hate the kid and the trade and the reason he was aquired but I think he loses a bit of weight and comes in faster and better next season. He's lost a step from last year and I'm hoping he can get that back

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
GM's and coaches showing favoritism...

Clearly something exclusive to the Montreal Canadiens.

As for what "Bergevin defenders" were saying...I brought up Galchenyuk + Eller vs Plekanec and Desharnais for years.

So miss me with that.

Having favourites is normal, what isn't normal is letting it get in the way of your 3rd overall pick, or having it become a reason you trade away your superstar defenceman. There is a threshold at which point the favouritism causes problems and we are so far past it that it's been a huge issue for us. And regardless of whether you were in favour of it in the past, you're now not arguing the actual point but trying to deflect the actual argument. It was a poor excuse back then and it still is one now.

Except that's not how it comes off...

Firstly...I criticized Plekanec's usage, not necessarily him as a player, it was never his fault this team saw him as bigger than he was.

That was a knock on the coaching staff and management and I ALWAYS made it a point to present it this way.

And that's exactly what people did in all those Desharnais/Eller/Galchenyuk threads. They criticized Desharnais usage but they were still labelled haters. Most of the Drouin criticism is also usage, C vs W, but your claiming it's just haters who want to tear Drouin down to either make Galchenyuk look better or make Bergevin look bad.

As for Plekanec, I'll use your exact words. That's not how it comes off...

Reactions: Pickles and Bryson

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Yeah Fernando Pisani was a beast as well in the 2005-06 playoffs for the Oilers !
Pisani wasn't 3rd overall. Bad example. Pisani came out of no where. Drouin has had good juniors and that got him drafted 3rd overall.

That makes me think of last year when people were comparing Ratanen to Conacher... very bad.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It was kind of you to apologize but how is the Drouin thread off limits to the trade that brought him here? It's completely relevant. Just carry on with your fine posting.

"not relevant to this thread about Drouin not the trade" Wait till posts like this start flying around during this year's draft! I'm kissing ass till then... seeing we can not trade trophy for infarction points .

Reactions: groovejuice

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I know, I was just saying that a good playoff performance doesn't mean jack ****. The guy was motivated to get his ass out of Tampa and earn a good contract elsewhere.
He got it and now we see what kind of player he is.
Tampa Bay prefered Yanni Gourde to Drouin. Tampa Bay is having 3 dmen aged 31 and 33 hitting free agency in July 2019 and since they have lots of ammunition at the offense, they filled a need by adding Sergachev. Bergevin on the other hand trades his best prospect and one of his best assests for a lazy winger converted into the team's top C. It's stupid.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Not Galchenyuk with his 13 points in 28 playoffs games so far ....he was a ghost every time..

Play Drouin on the wing next year where he should and we will talk.

They should try something as crazy as Chucky at C with Drouin at W. Caaa-raaa-zy. Out of this world. Pretty sure if they'd try that, the world would blow-up.

Reactions: Bryson

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
The guy has talent it's undeniable, he has elite hands. Problem is most of his plays end up nowhere, in a way it reminds me of Scott Gomez in his time here.

I honestly can't say I found him lazy or uninterested, not from the few games I watched at least.

I'm really hoping Bergevin can find a decent C so we can see what he truly can bring.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The guy has talent it's undeniable, he has elite hands. Problem is most of his plays end up nowhere, in a way it reminds me of Scott Gomez in his time here.

I honestly can't say I found him lazy or uninterested, not from the few games I watched at least.

I'm really hoping Bergevin can find a decent C so we can see what he truly can bring.

Laziness is how Kerby Rychel played in Windsor. He would take a wrister he thought would go in, it would go wide, and he would just stand there. Nobody would yell at him because he was the GM's kid.

Skill guys always get called lazy because they don't act like skunks to garbage on pucks. Instead they reset and look for the next opportunity. I remember when Guy Lafleur and Mike Bossy were called lazy. Even Gretzky was called lazy when he was young but people called him anything and everything to insult him.

Drouin isn't lazy, he's just not Gallagher. If he played like Gallagher he'd get injured.

Reactions: OldManGroin

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
No doubt, Drouin can be a star.

Just relax guys, MTL got a bad season. Drouin is very good player. Great trade for both team.

Next year this thread gonna change for OMG DROUIN IS SOO GOOD. Just be patient guys ;)

OldManGroin

Mar 9, 2018
And that is ok, being a complimentary player. He’d probably be one of our best but we traded a potential franchise player for a complimentary player. Again, maybe fine if he had Radulov as his wingman.

Just saying, looking at the centers in our division, Drouin isn’t going to match well against their #1s.

Matthews
Eichel
Stamkos
Barkov
Bergeron

I’d say we are pretty even against Ottawa.

Ottawa has a Karlsson to offset the lack of C.

Montreal has ...... Schlemko ?!?

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I hate the kid and the trade and the reason he was aquired but I think he loses a bit of weight and comes in faster and better next season. He's lost a step from last year and I'm hoping he can get that back
I want to see this too. He has shown close to none of the explosive skating he had been known. I'd say it's one of the most disappointing things about him outside of lack of production and lack of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->