Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin: "In an ideal world he's a winger," Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Drouin, playing at his natural position, could get 60 + more points eventually per season and help this team to WIN, which is the bottom line.

Is this just blind optimism? I’ve seen nothing from him as a Hab that is making me think that. Doesn’t seem to be a competitor at all. Imagine if Hudon had his skill set?

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Isn’t his natural position LW?

I have no idea, I just know it’s not centre.

I’m not giving up on the kid but I’m also not part of that “once there’s a player to hold his hand and make everything easier for him he will be amazing” crowd. That rhetoric has been shoved down my throat so much that I’d rather help MB pick his outfit for the game than hear that again.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
This is a results driven business. If you can't fill the holes the team has had for 6 years, and want to survive on signing fringe NHL players and waiver wire pickups, GTFO and step aside.
If only Bergevin could arrange for the Habs to play in the AHL, you’d then see that thing really aren’t that bad!

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It is not a fail. It just looking bad for the moment. Drouin gonna thrive on a wing where he belongs.

Sergachev is surrounded by a tremendous hockey team and team mates. It is darn easy to get assists when you pass the puck to any of the top-six forwards on that team.

The very same players Drouin was surrounded with when people thought he was beasting. What exactly is your point? These questions were asked not long after the trade we are getting a definite answer. JD has been outplayed by Charles Hudon.

Reactions: McTusk

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
DLR is like Brian Flynn. Someone you get for 5th round picks any time you want.

MTL uses a second to develop there own and its a win in your eyes. Zero standards and expectations

Disagree. If DLR is put on waivers is might get claimed. If Flynn is put on waivers, the is no chance he gets claimed. DLR will be a good bottom 6 player for us moving forward and he is only age 22 and getting better year by year. Flynn is age 29.

Come up with a better comparison

Reactions: Rapala

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
One of your favorites to watch? I guess you havent watched much hockey.

Your guess was wrong and I he is one of my favorite Habs players to watch. I've watched Drouin since his junior days. The kid is dynamic and very good. He's only age 22 and we must remember this.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Disagree. If DLR is put on waivers is might get claimed. If Flynn is put on waivers, the is no chance he gets claimed. DLR will be a good bottom 6 player for us moving forward and he is only age 22 and getting better year by year. Flynn is age 29.

the comparison is low skill. D_lo with almost as many points this season as DLR his enitre career.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

Point which clearly flew over your head.

You used and developed a second rounder to be fourth liner. Players you acquire for mid picks. Its a waste. When i thought your flawed draft analysis couldnt get worse

You also think a player who was thought to have 3rd line center potential who is developing into a no offense 4th line center is progressing well so shouldnt be shocked

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
DLR just needs to be responsible defensively and let Drouin/Galchenyuk create offence. I'm excited. It's not all that different a situation as we saw last year with Danault between Rad and Pac.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Point which clearly flew over your head.

You used and developed a second rounder to be fourth liner. Players you acquire for mid picks. Its a waste. When i thought your flawed draft analysis couldnt get worse

Sure. You mean that DLR player who will get an opportunity to play with Galchenyuk and Drouin tonight? That same guy where we definitely want him to be a 4th line player and that's it? I guess Galchenyuk and Drouin have been demoted to the 4th line according to your standards.

DLR is age 22 and Flynn is age 29. That went over your head. It is a terrible comparison and it's not fair to DLR who hasn't even touched his prime years yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the comparison is low skill. D_lo with almost as many points this season as DLR his enitre career.

Who is D_lo?

I get the point. The point is DLR will never get any better and is compared to a career un-drafted 4th line player in Flynn. I don't agree with making this comparison. It's not fair to DLR and how he has developed so far. The kid is only 22 and might end up a 4th line player, or he might end up a very good 3rd line center. It's way to early to compare him to Flynn IMO

DLR had a good 2nd half to the AHL season last year and he is just starting to gain confidence in the later part of this season as well. Yes he lacks offense but he is a good young player for us and he is developing well at his own pace.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Sure. You mean that DLR player who will get an opportunity to play with Galchenyuk and Drouin tonight? That same guy where we definitely want him to be a 4th line player and that's it? I guess Galchenyuk and Drouin have been demoted to the 4th line according to your standards.

DLR is age 22 and Flynn is age 29. That went over your head. It is a terrible comparison and it's not fair to DLR who hasn't even touched his prime years yet.

No. The comparison of Flynn was how easy it is to acquire fourth liners and you dont use second rounders to develop them.

Keep swinging, one day you will connect.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Feel a bit bad for the kid, what a garbage on-ice situation to walk into. There's no other player on the team with his skillset though, really hoping he can excel back on the wing.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Drouin’s value was inflated playing on a stacked Tampa Bay offense. This guy will average around 50 points a season with the Habs. He has no finish to his game, and he’s not that good of a playmaker, his passing game is too rough. He can shoot decently, but I don’t see him netting more than 20-25 in a good year. The only reason we traded for him, was for the name on his back, to fulfill a political agenda rather than a hockey agenda - and now it’s backfiring.

Desharnais was cheaper, produced more, had good chemistry with Pacioretty, and actually played center. Fans wanted him gone, cause he was too small, well now we don’t have any centre that can produce anything offensively. But we got rid of him at a time when we had zero centre depth, and uselessly traded him for an AHL defenseman. No Desharnais was not the solution to being a contender, but he was better than nothing at all, which is what we currently have.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The very same players Drouin was surrounded with when people thought he was beasting. What exactly is your point? These questions were asked not long after the trade we are getting a definite answer. JD has been outplayed by Charles Hudon.

Sure but Drouin has the most skill on the team by a mile in my opinion. Maybe putting him on the wing will allow him to maximize that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Drouin’s value was inflated playing on a stacked Tampa Bay offense. This guy will average around 50 points a season with the Habs. He has no finish to his game, and he’s not that good of a playmaker, his passing game is too rough. He can shoot decently, but I don’t see him netting more than 20-25 in a good year. The only reason we traded for him, was for the name on his back, to fulfill a political agenda rather than a hockey agenda - and now it’s backfiring.

Desharnais was cheaper, produced more, had good chemistry with Pacioretty, and actually played center. Fans wanted him gone, cause he was too small, well now we don’t have any centre that can produce anything offensively. But we got rid of him at a time when we had zero centre depth, and uselessly traded him for an AHL defenseman. No Desharnais was not the solution to being a contender, but he was better than nothing at all, which is what we currently have.

Not sure where you and others get this narrative? Is this just to make MB look worse by misrepresenting info? Tampa was 14th in goals last year, they were nowhere near stacked. You do know that Drouin's 53 points was the 2nd highest scoring forward on TB right? How is that "stacked", his stats in the other 2 years are irrelevant because neither are very impressive.

He was the most impressive forward last year 2nd to Kucherov and at times even outplayed him - I've said from day 1 this center thing was beyond stupid and would hamper his production and output, but was told "vision", "playmaking", "skating" would make him a sufficient center. :laugh: I haven't seen too many Drouin games this year but from the past 3 years his strength is making plays off the half wall - and using his speed on the transition.

The guys a pure winger, it'll be a night and day difference compared to his games at C, will he have occasional lazy days and off games? Of Course but he should be significantly more dangerous on a regular basis, guys skilled for sure but lots of people are seeing the entitlement issues from him, handing him a fat contract and keys to the city was probably a little soon.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Feel a bit bad for the kid, what a garbage on-ice situation to walk into. There's no other player on the team with his skillset though, really hoping he can excel back on the wing.

Galchenyuk has decent skill too. Arguably, Galchenyuk has been our best player for a few weeks now (18pts in his last 21 games). But I do see your point about being thrown into a bad situation.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's hope so because not much of that skill has been on display as a centerman.

I don't think he is playing his game and he is drowning a bit due to trying to adjust to the center role and also how bad of a season we are having as a team. His energy has decreased from the beginning of the year and I don't blame the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad