Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was shocked that he didn't start the season with the Comets. Another baffling decision. Wanted to see him get NHL games this year.
He had mono and lost a good chunk of weight. Would have been set back. Probably asking too much for him to play in a more physical league, with a smaller rink when he has to regain that weight.

Ideally, would have liked to see him move up divisions in Sweden, like Pettersson.

Dahlen is likely in the AHL over the NHL next season, kind of like Goldy, which is probably the way to go.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Will be interesting it is very likely he would be ppg or higher in the shl as well. He is over twice the ppg average of his closest teammate this year and was even with Petterson last year. He is still an unknown but i would say there were times were he would be our top prospect.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Will be interesting it is very likely he would be ppg or higher in the shl as well. He is over twice the ppg average of his closest teammate this year and was even with Petterson last year. He is still an unknown but i would say there were times were he would be our top prospect.

I think the bolded is a massive stretch, and I like Dahlen a lot.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ideally he moves to SEL in January, and then joins the Canucks for 4-5 games at end of our season since we're already burning a year on his contract so might as well see what he can do in NHL before going to AHL after Canucks season is done.
Sounds like a plan, maybe even skip SHL. Trade Vanek and open a spot.

Reactions: scorvat53

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So...January out clause is looking pretty good now, isn't it?

Baertschi, Bo and Sutter all being out is brutal, and I have a feeling they may bring Dahlen is as a midseason boost if we're not in a playoff spot.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He's a center. I think that would out weigh being better or worse then anyone he'd potentially replace. We presently have Dowd, Sutter, Granlund, Gagner and probably Gaunce floating in and out of center positions in our bottom six. Assuming Sutter is back on time, and centering our 4th/shutdown line, Dahlen would be have to be a better fit at C then anyone else I've listed.

As I said though, this would be if we're not doing so hot. If the experiment fails, we're no further behind, but we can waive/trade a redundant asset.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
He's a center. I think that would out weigh being better or worse then anyone he'd potentially replace. We presently have Dowd, Sutter, Granlund, Gagner and probably Gaunce floating in and out of center positions in our bottom six. Assuming Sutter is back on time, and centering our 4th/shutdown line, Dahlen would be have to be a better fit at C then anyone else I've listed.

As I said though, this would be if we're not doing so hot. If the experiment fails, we're no further behind, but we can waive/trade a redundant asset.

center? seen a few games and both times he's been a winger mostly LW

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
center? seen a few games and both times he's been a winger mostly LW

Yeah, and I don't know of anyone here who projects him as a center in the NHL, but that just adds to the question. Will Travis Green give him meaningful minutes in the NHL? We currently have Goldobin as a benchmark of a player he feels needs to "mature" and develop further before being trusted every night. Is Dahlen ahead of him? There's a two year developmental gap there, so that seems unlikely. Sutter, Gagner, Gaunce, Chaput, Dowd, Burmistrov and Granlund are all considered centers... simply due to volume, that's a tougher group to get minutes ahead of the left side of Vanek, one of Granlund/Gaunce and Goldobin. Maybe Jake and Eriksson can be included, but they have been rotating as RW with the Sedins. The left side maybe opens up if Vanek is traded, as unlikely as that is...but Goldobin is still probably ahead of him.

But at center, even in the scenario where the team is totally out of it, there are too many bodies. Add that it would be a complete 180 for Green to play a kid with no AHL/SHL experience over a seasoned vet like Chaput or Dowd (even in garbage time) and I just don't see how the NHL is a feasible option.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
maybe Utica with chance of promotion like Nylander did? Chance too play in Nhl this year. Cannot gift him spot in Nhl but great opportunity for him with issues of ahl team

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
maybe Utica with chance of promotion like Nylander did? Chance too play in Nhl this year. Cannot gift him spot in Nhl but great opportunity for him with issues of ahl team

It would be good if he's on the AHL playoff roster for sure, but we are burning off a year of his ELC no matter what this year so would be ideal to give him a few NHL games to get a handle on where he's at, then send to the AHL for (hopefully) a playoff run.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
That’s fine. I would’ve liked to see him get some games in Utica but keep him away from the mess that is the Canucks. He would probably spend most of his time here in the pressbox or playing 7 mins a game with Gaunce

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Starting to get a little nervous about the hype around Dahlen. He's a good prospect that needs development time. He is a little better than a pt per game player in a league that isn't as good as the AHL. Elias Pettersson is an exceptional prospect and people should be very careful about making a direct comparison or expecting Dahlen to follow a similar path.
Pettersson should never see the AHL. I expect Dahlen to come over to the AHL next year and take some time to transition. In fact, it's more likely than not that he spends the entire year in Utica. That time will define whether he's ready for an NHL job.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
So who exactly makes this call? The owner of Timra? I don't understand how the rights work over there.
It's Dahlen's choice. He has an out clause with Timra, so he is free to sign with a SHL team or come over to North America.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully, it just means he's a loyal player and doesn't want to abandon the team mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad