Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Really good game so far for Dahlen. In the 2nd, he had a penalty shot, went backhand but couldn't get it over the pad. Then he had a nice breakaway chance. His speed is on display.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Thats such a wierd system where you can get bumped up and down a league based off performance. I wonder how the fans of those teams like that system. Seems hard to get use to

I'm a Modo fan, we had a terrible GM by the name of Markus Näslund which got us relegated from the SHL. It sucks for us but I still like the system, it's free market as opposed to the communism of a franchise system. The only way we can become successful again is by becoming more competent as an organization; not by enduring a decade of depressing and suffocating loserdom and then being rewarded for it.

I get why it wouldn't work for the NHL though. Imagine Montreal getting beaten out in a relegation playoffs by some small town team in Louisiana. The league would lose an arena filled with 21 000 people every game and add an arena that fills 2000.

Reactions: Grantham

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Timra takes it 4-1. Per (or any of our Euro experts), what's next? Am I right in thinking that Timra now moves on to play an SHL team? Length of series?

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
Timra takes it 4-1. Per (or any of our Euro experts), what's next? Am I right in thinking that Timra now moves on to play an SHL team? Length of series?

Yes, they will play against Karlskrona HK, best of 7 games will win the SHL spot.

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Yes, they will play against Karlskrona HK, best of 7 games will win the SHL spot.

Thanks! If you have any thoughts or info about the match-up, I'd bet I'm not alone in wanting to read them. Predictions? Interesting players on Karlskrona? Any rivalry between the two teams? Etc. etc.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Man I wish the NHL/AHL had a similar qualification process. Would bring a lot of excitement to the AHL teams and would almost guarantee a tank wouldn't happen for the same team year after year. Owners would be very motivated to get the best management possible for their NHL teams.

And, very excited about this prospect. His style looks very NHL.

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
Thanks! If you have any thoughts or info about the match-up, I'd bet I'm not alone in wanting to read them. Predictions? Interesting players on Karlskrona? Any rivalry between the two teams? Etc. etc.

I'm not the best person to ask that specific question. It's been to painful to SHL games ever since Timrå got relegated .

With that said, no rivalry at all really.

larra

Oct 2, 2016
There are many who would like to see a line consisting of Elias P, Jonathan Dahlen and old 'Z' Henrik Zetterberg as center in the world Cup in May. Three players with Timrå connections. At the moment there are two players that dominate the swedish hockeysceen - Elias and Jonathan Dalen. Timrå's 'young gun'

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Think Dahlen is still coming to North America to play for the Comets in the playoffs this year? Best of 7 coming up. If they win it they enter the SHL Playoffs.
Then he could easily be named to Team Sweden for the World Cup in May.

I believe his appearance here this Spring is just more Benning smoke blowing because he has no control whatsoever where this kid plays.

Also reading about how Vaxjo is offering Elias a big contract to re-sign there next season. Anyone else seeing this? He isn't committed to coming to North America yet as he isn't signed and doesn't have to until June, 2021. Wouldn't that be a bite?

Last edited:

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Think Dahlen is still coming to North America to play for the Comets in the playoffs this year? Best of 7 coming up. If they win it they enter the SHL Playoffs.

I believe his appearance here this Spring is just more Benning smoke blowing because he has no control whatsoever where this kid plays.

Also reading about how Vaxjo is offering Elias a big contract to re-sign there next season. Anyone else seeing this? He isn't committed to coming to North America yet as he isn't signed and doesn't have to until June, 2021. Wouldn't that be a bite?

I'm not sure if playing for Utica or World cup is bad either way.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

It would be a very strange move for his development to set SEL records, win the scoring title, and not move onto the next level of development i.e NA pro-hockey (AHL/NHL).

I'm sure the Canucks would happily offer him a max salary contract with bonuses fitting of a 5th overall selection and get him onto the NHL roster, which would dwarf anything $$$-wise Vaxjo could throw at him (They have about a $6MM payroll).

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Didn't he sign an ELC towards the end of last season? At least that's what a Google search is telling me. Wasn't that part of the reason why some here were mad that Benning let Dahlen go back to play there?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that you were referring to Pettersson.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
It's tough to imagine a scenario where Elias doesn't come over next season. I don't think we've seen the worst from the Benning regime, and letting Elias dictate his own future and remain in Sweden for another year would certainly be in keeping with their uhh... "hands off" approach to managing their prospects. I just don't see why Elias would want to do that.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

Timrå's season is done after the upcoming best of 7. There's nothing after that. There's a couple of weeks break before the series though. It will be done on April 6th at the latest. So there's time for him to get to Utica for the playoffs.

Reactions: Grantham

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This next series might give us some clue as to how Dahlen would have performed if he was in the SHL this season. I hope he dominates in this series.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm a Modo fan, we had a terrible GM by the name of Markus Näslund which got us relegated from the SHL. It sucks for us but I still like the system, it's free market as opposed to the communism of a franchise system. The only way we can become successful again is by becoming more competent as an organization; not by enduring a decade of depressing and suffocating loserdom and then being rewarded for it.

I get why it wouldn't work for the NHL though. Imagine Montreal getting beaten out in a relegation playoffs by some small town team in Louisiana. The league would lose an arena filled with 21 000 people every game and add an arena that fills 2000.

It works somehow in Soccer. Historic teams do sometimes get relegated and have to fight their way back in. But there is no draft, and it seems like way more club development from very young ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad