Jonathan Bernier vs. Leland Irving

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Two 2006 first round goaltenders. Irving had a great season with a great team. Bernier also had a good season in the Q. He was playoff MVP and he has done well so far in the Memorial Cup. Which one would you you take?

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Two 2006 first round goaltenders. Irving had a great season with a great team. Bernier also had a good season in the Q. He was playoff MVP and he has done well so far in the Memorial Cup. Which one would you you take?

I like both prospects a lot. But I've been following Bernier for a bit, and I met him last year too. He was a great guy. He could be a very good number 1 goaltender in the NHL. Not that Irving can not be though...

Personally, I like Bernier more, but I havent seen Irving play at all so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

AgentNaslund*

NOt sure if it was Everett's or Lelands fault. But didnt Leland let in a pile of goals on route to his team being elminated? I remember he let in 8 goals in one game during the playoffs.

But Bernier looked pretty good. He fills up the net well.

604flames

Feb 28, 2007
Vancouver
Today was my first look at Bernier, he gave Medicine Hat nothing to shoot at today.

As for the Flames and Irving, I'd rather pay attention to Matt Keetley.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Bernier has prove he can lead his team to a championship and irving hasn't prove that yet but he did beat bernier for team canada at the wjc. Both play in front of a great defense, tough call but i go with bernier because...he's from quebec lol yeaa im a big time homer lol

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Bernier looks like a world-class goalie in the making to me. Irving is good, but if you were sorting the goalie prospects into tiers, he'd be a level or two below Bernier's top level IMHO.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
I haven't seen much of Irving, but I've seen Bernier a few times and I really like what I'm seeing from him. I think the Kings have a great future starter.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Wow, I didn't think that Berniers stock had risen this much. Where do you guys think he ranks compared to some of the other young goaltenders (Price, Rask, Pogge, Montoya,etc.)?

Bryzga lol*

I think Bernier was pretty nervous in the WJC. Now he's playing incredibly, not the same goalie at all. I didn't follow the WHL playoffs, but wasn't Irving's team stacked on D? I'm surprised they didn't get to the finals.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Bernier is exactly one year younger than me and when we lived in Québec I started following him alot.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
TSN's top 15 goalie prospects

I know this is a couple of months old now, but Irving was one spot ahead of Bernier on TSN's top 15 goalie list -- and he was nine spots ahead of him overall in the Future Watch list.

Overall rank among THN's Future Watch top 75 prospects this year in parenthesis, as well as what they were ranked in last year's top 75 list.

1. Carey Price (5th overall, up from 12th last year)
2. Tuukka Rask (14th overall, up from 37th last year)
3. Leland Irving (15th overall, unranked last year because he hadn't been drafted yet)
4. Jonathan Bernier (24th overall, unranked last year because he hadn't been drafted yet)
5. Justin Pogge (28th overall, up from 73rd last year)
6. Simeon Varlamov (36th overall, unranked last year because he hadn't been drafted yet)
7. Cory Schneider (38th overall, up from 68th last year)
8. Riku Helenius (41st overall, unranked last year because he hadn't been drafted yet)
9. Josh Harding (42nd overall, down from 40th last year)
10. Al Montoya (54th overall, down from 28th last year)
11. Ondrej Pavelec (60th overall, down from 58th last year)
12. Ben Bishop (62nd overall, unranked last year)
13. Marek Schwarz (70th overall, down from 34th last year)
14. Jimmy Howard (71st overall, down from 47th last year)
15. Devan Dubnyk (74th overall, unranked last year)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

THN sometimes doesn't think before talking.

Bernier is 100x better than Irving.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
NOt sure if it was Everett's or Lelands fault. But didnt Leland let in a pile of goals on route to his team being elminated? I remember he let in 8 goals in one game during the playoffs.

But Bernier looked pretty good. He fills up the net well.
Irving didn't allow 8 goals, he allowed 2, was pulled and Reekie allowed 6 over the rest of the game.

Everett is not stacked on D IMO, they just run a very defensive system, Constatine is coach and he has always run a very defensive style.

That said, from what I have seen and heard, Vancouver was the better defensive team all year, and had more talent on D.

On the main point, Bernier is a wicked young goalie, I am obviously an Irving fan, but Bernier could certainly end up being better.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Bernier has been pretty dominant in these playoffs, it's a shame his team hasn't been helping him out in the Memorial Cup as much as they should be.

AgentNaslund*

Bernier has been pretty dominant in these playoffs, it's a shame his team hasn't been helping him out in the Memorial Cup as much as they should be.

they are doing their best. Its just that the Maniac met their match. Kinda like the Giants last year. They destroyed everyone in their paths (12-2 WHL Record), only to get beaten out in the Memorial cup. Lewiston (12-1) ran into some serious competition. plus their captain going down will really hurt a team's chance.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
they are doing their best. Its just that the Maniac met their match. Kinda like the Giants last year. They destroyed everyone in their paths (12-2 WHL Record), only to get beaten out in the Memorial cup. Lewiston (16-1) ran into some serious competition. plus their captain going down will really hurt a team's chance.

Fixed that for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad