Jonathan Aitken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Jonathan Aitken has played surprisingly well for the Blackhawks this season and already has a couple of TKOs under his belt. He is up here due to injuries and we have had up to 5 of our top 7 dmen out with injuries and currently have 4 (McCarthy, Karpovtsev, Poapst & Quint) out injured. But he has played well enough to be potentially earn on of our 6 dmen slots next year. He is one tough SOB.
The Bruins may have goven up on him little too early.

But Damn is he a slow skater. How the Hell did this guy get drafted 8th???

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Behn Wilson said:
Jonathan Aitken has played surprisingly well for the Blackhawks this season and already has a couple of TKOs under his belt. He is up here due to injuries and we have had up to 5 of our top 7 dmen out with injuries and currently have 4 (McCarthy, Karpovtsev, Poapst & Quint) out injured. But he has played well enough to be potentially earn on of our 6 dmen slots next year. He is one tough SOB.
The Bruins may have goven up on him little too early.

But Damn is he a slow skater. How the Hell did this guy get drafted 8th???

its too bad he's an UFA after this season. he skates about as quickly as I do, but he cetainly is tough, and i'd welcome him back as our #6/#7

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
it was the 1996 draft, and he was taken 8th overall. just about everyone got hosed in that draft, which was one of the worst i can ever remember. to wit- lance ward went 10th overall that year, and i think alex volchkov was 4th or 5th overall :eek:

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I knew when he was drafted. My question was for those who followed the draft back then what was thought of Aitken. I know it was a week draft overall but I find it strange that a player that skates as slow as him could go eight.

Was he considered a reach by the Bruins or was he thought to have a pretty good upside?

Mayhem

Feb 27, 2002
PerfectStorm Country
Visit site
Behn Wilson said:
I knew when he was drafted. My question was for those who followed the draft back then what was thought of Aitken. I know it was a week draft overall but I find it strange that a player that skates as slow as him could go eight.

Was he considered a reach by the Bruins or was he thought to have a pretty good upside?

He was certainly considered a reach at the time but for whatever reason the Bruins were enamored with his size.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Mayhem said:
He was certainly considered a reach at the time but for whatever reason the Bruins were enamored with his size.

Thanks. Brad Brown also went high, I think 16 and is a similar player. Brown is probaly a little better skater though.

Behn Wilson said:

He was considered a project, that's for sure. I watched him a lot in junior (he was a teammate of Burke Henry as well) and the Bruins hoped he would develop into a big, tough, two-way knuckledragger. His skating wasn't bad at the time, it's just that it is still at the same level now that it was 6 or 7 years ago. He was a monster out there some nights, and frustrating others; my big knock on him was always "all the tools but no tool box".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->