Player Discussion Jonas Hiller (Title Updated Jan 20/16)

fallsviewafro*

Fair enough, and you are right to be skeptical. I'd be interested to see the stats behind goalscoring before and after white pads became prevalent. Too bad there are so many moving parts in terms of rule changes, etc. in that timeframe, so it'd be impossible.

Ultimately, I think its a superstitious goalie thing, again like Kidd and his checkerboards.. you tell a netminder he'd reduce his GAA by wearing a pink jock, he'd do it. Lord knows I would, I do all kinds of stupid **** when I'm in goal :laugh:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Why is his reputation so bad in here? All I hear is complains about early goals, softies, rebounds and that no one feels safe with his butterfly style.
Yet his season has been quite ok, posting a GAA of 2.40 and. 917 sv pct, 15th of 44 in the league (among goalies with enough GP). Other starters around that mark like Varlamov, Fleury, Bishop or Pavelec are getting called good this season.
Here, people seem to hope for a Ramo start before every game, I wonder where that comes from.
Yes, he cooled down in Jan./Feb. after his good start, but overall, I think he has done exctly what they expected him to do this year.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
The complaints I have about Hiller are the soft goals and when he throws his teammates under the bus when they lose. But other than that, I like him.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
Why is his reputation so bad in here? All I hear is complains about early goals, softies, rebounds and that no one feels safe with his butterfly style.
Yet his season has been quite ok, posting a GAA of 2.40 and. 917 sv pct, 15th of 44 in the league (among goalies with enough GP). Other starters around that mark like Varlamov, Fleury, Bishop or Pavelec are getting called good this season.
Here, people seem to hope for a Ramo start before every game, I wonder where that comes from.
Yes, he cooled down in Jan./Feb. after his good start, but overall, I think he has done exctly what they expected him to do this year.

It's solely to do with his mask

May 27, 2012
Earth

For 2-3 games in a row he let in a goal 1 minute into the game. He also has a rep of "at least" letting one weak goal in. I am indifferent on it, some of the goals people complain about is how he should have saved it or something. I agree, but that should go for any goalie. A few goals haven't been his fault because the the dmen/forwards try to be a hero and block the shot. I have nothing wrong with blocking shots, but sometimes they will get in the goalies way, like the other day. Wideman tried blocking the shot and resulted in Hiller getting scored on.

In the end, he is a goalie we were lucky to sign to a 4.5 Million/year contract. Without him, we probably wouldn't be here fighting for a playoff spot. Ramo hasn't done any better, I fee like we had to bail him out a few times, don't think I have seen Hiller get blown for maybe 2-4 games. Now some will disagree, but everybody needs a scapegoat amirite? :sarcasm:

INB4 RAMO Brigade

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hiller overall this year has been very good. He has had mental lapses which usually occur early on in games which are frustrating, but overall he has been excellent, as has Ramo.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Hiller overall this year has been very good. He has had mental lapses which usually occur early on in games which are frustrating, but overall he has been excellent, as has Ramo.

And Hiller's usually lights out when Ramo gets pulled (and vice versa) which has been a huge reason for a lot of our comeback wins.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

As sad as this sounds, I might not ever be completely satisfied with a goalie until they are better than Kipper (or look to be better). I guess that's just how I am.

I've liked the Hiller/Ramo tandem this year though. And while I prefer Ramo a little more, I've liked what Hiller has done this year.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yet his season has been quite ok, posting a GAA of 2.40 and. 917 sv pct, 15th of 44 in the league (among goalies with enough GP).

He's been above average at Even Strength, which means his overall save percentage is boosted by the fact that he's been on even strength more often than other goaltenders. HOWEVER - his powerplay save percentage is brutally low and makes me nervous on PK, even though I think our PK is pretty strong overall.

For some reference:

ES SV%:

Price: .944
Mason: .942
Dubnyk: .935
Rinne: .934
Lundqvist: .933
Schneider: .933
Luongo: .932
Rask: .931
Crawford: .931
Talbot: .930
Ortio: .930
Anderson: .930
Holtby: .928
Mrazek: .927
Hiller: .926
Elliott: .925
Quick: .925
Hiller 2013-14: .925
MAF: .924
Hutchinson: .923
Bobrovsky: .923
Pavelec: .923
Halak: .923
Bernier: .922
Lack: .921
Niemi: .921
Andersen: .920
Ramo 2013-14: .919
Bishop: .919
McElhenny: .917
Ramo: .916
Varlamov: .915
Miller: .915

PP Sv%:

Varlamov: .945
Ortio: .929
Bishop: .911
MAF: .910
Dubnyk: .901
Lack: .898
Talbot: .894
Schneider: .893
Miller: .890
McElhenny: .899
Crawford: .888
Holtby: .888
Anderson: .886
Bobrovsky: .885
Ramo: .885
Andersen: .884
Elliott: .882
Pavelec: .880
Price: .878
Mrazek: .878
Ramo 2013-14: .872
Rask: .872
Lehtonen: .868
Bernier: .868
Luongo: .865
Hutchinson: .864
Rinne: .863
Niemi: .862
Lundqvist: .859
Quick: .859
Halak: .858
Fasth: .856
Hiller 2013-14: .851
Mason: .849
Scrivens: .847
Hiller: .815

What're the takeawas between these stats and the eye-test?

Do NOT take penalties with Hiller in the game. He can win you games against strong forechecking teams though.

Do NOT make dumb even strength turnovers with Ramo in the game. He can win you games against strong power play teams though. He's especially good in shootouts, 6th best among guys with at least 13 SO attempts against this season.

Do NOT play the Ducks at the Honda Center with Ortio in the game.

Curtis McEllhenny is actually an NHLer.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Is it really Hillers fault for the PP goals against? Or Ramo's? Sure it's been strong but our defense has taken some hits.i think we have the least PenLties in the league, so that has a factor in it. Also recently we have been taking a ton of penalties which could increase goals against.

DaDucks*

What's the consensus on this guy? When he left Anaheim, it seemed like was mentally declining.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
What's the consensus on this guy? When he left Anaheim, it seemed like was mentally declining.
He has his ups and downs. Most have been down on him after a bad start this season (but the whole team excluding Gaudreau had a bad start), then he returned from injury and won a couple games while being quite ill but sat for the next month because Ramo has been on a roll and now in the last 3 he has played well. I think he is exactly the stop gap the Flames needed.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015

Why did you post something here? I though we extended Hiller for that amount... Because of your post i dropped a glas-bottle on the ground :laugh:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Same reaction as everyone else haha.

Hiller is what I've expected of him from watching him in Anaheim.

He is a good goalie but his concentration allows for a soft goal almost every game. Hes good until Gillies is ready to takeover.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who needs coffee when someone necroes a thread like this? :laugh:

This would be a great prank on April fools.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ramo needs to play next game. Hiller flopped every time he got nudged trying to milk the interference call rather then try to stay in. We got scored on once and almost twice because of it.
He played well against Edmonton, saw 2 or 3 chances against Florida and looked really bad last night.

If this week off messes up the groove Ramo was in I am going to lose my ****. Hartley just doesn't know what to do with goalies. I am convinced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->