Injury Report: Jonas Brodin (Injured Paw)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Brodin is out for a bit, I hope they go with Suter/Dumba and Scandella/Spurgeon as pairs.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
From Russo's post-game:

Boudreau didn’t know yet the extent of the injury after the game.

“I don’t know to what extent it is broken, what hand it is, whether it’s the tip, whether it’s the base, any of that stuff,†Boudreau said. “I don’t have a clue yet. We’ll probably find that out more tomorrow.â€

Broken fingers can be wide-ranging timelines, a lot determined on where the break is, what type of break and whether surgery is needed. If Brodin is lost long-term, it will be a bigtime problem. Not only has that been proven in the past any time he has been in the lineup, just look at the mess it created tonight.

To get by, either right-shot Nate Prosser will have to play the left side or more likely Mike Reilly or Gustav Olofsson, both left-shot D, will be recalled. The Wild was due, quite frankly. It hasn’t had a player miss a game to injury since before Christmas.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Did it happen on the hit at the end of the first period? Didn't see him again, and I was watching the Devils feed and they never mentioned it.

I was saying in some other thread that I wasn't in love with the blueline depth. I think we're about to see why. Brodin to Prosser (or Reilly or Olofsson) is a significant downgrade.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Did it happen on the hit at the end of the first period? Didn't see him again, and I was watching the Devils feed and they never mentioned it.

I was saying in some other thread that I wasn't in love with the blueline depth. I think we're about to see why. Brodin to Prosser (or Reilly or Olofsson) is a significant downgrade.

Well, to be fair, any team losing one of their top 4 defenseman and replacing him with their 7th, 8th, or 9th D is going to see a significant downgrade.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, to be fair, any team losing one of their top 4 defenseman and replacing him with their 7th, 8th, or 9th D is going to see a significant downgrade.

Yeah, no kidding. What team can lose a player like Brodin and expect to plug in another guy without missing a beat?

Having said that, I am hoping for good things from Reilly/Olofsson. I would think that Olofsson would be the guy they would call up, as his skillset matches Brodin's more closely. They don't need offensive brilliance, but defensive competence.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Games missed to injury:
-Spurgeon 4 games
-Scandella 11 games
-Folin 11 games (not all due to injury)

Other than the Reilly/Dumba attempted pairing, the d-corps really didn't miss a beat in those games. Reilly/Folin have experience playing together, Olofsson/Folin should be reliable defensively. Prosser has even looked good (for Prosser) most of the games he's played this year.

PP/PK is where I think Brodin's absence will be noticed the most.
- Pommer/Scandella on the point for the PP. I would rather have Pommer. Scandella's shot selection this year is bad. Shot blocked from the point has a tendency to be a scoring chance the other way.
- Dumba/Folin/Prosser in for the PK is a downgrade.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

No, it was at the end of his first shift of the 2nd period, around the 2:00 mark. He's engaged with a player in front of the net and gets hit by a point shot, right after you can see him take each hand off of his stick and can tell something is amiss.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Hope Gustav get's the call. Like to see a bit more of him so we can get an idea of what he can handle next year.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
This is a big loss for us if he is out a while. His absence from our lineup is always strongly felt.

If we call someone up, hopefully it is Olofsson. He plays pretty much just like Brodin, but obviously isn't on Brodin's level (yet). Reilly's play in the d-zone is heart attack inducing.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
The positive could be that we are probably going to see good amount of both Olofsson and Reilly during Brodin's absence. It can't be bad for Fletcher trying to figure out how to approach the x draft.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
4 weeks puts him on in the range for being sent to the IR. Can bring up both Reilly and Olofsson roster-wise then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad