Jokerit 17/18 - Scooters Gonna Scoot

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Again, the question is if they mean anything significant on European ice. Spoiler, they don't really.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
A sluggish start against Kazan but they improved as the game went on. Deserved win for Kazan though.

tsamolotoff

May 7, 2017
Moscow
It was actually the best game for us in this season, Jokerit is a great team - good roster and even better teamwork/coaching. It's actually quite strange that Jalonen is leaving the team next year, he seems to be quite at home there

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Again, the question is if they mean anything significant on European ice. Spoiler, they don't really.

Are you referring to the shooting statistics? Do you have any statistics to back up your claims? I would argue even the opposite might be true, they might play a similar or larger role in european rinks. There is actually a very high correlation with shooting statistics and points percentage in khl it seems. The difference is that NHL is currently getting very even league and skill caps between teams are getting thinner, due to caps and drafting system. I might have to look at Finnish sm-league and SHL too at some point for the stats.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, historically you can see teams like Ak Bars or SU haven't had very good shooting stats and yet winning games while teams like Loko or Skabelka's teams have always had great shooting stats and haven't had that much success on the ice. Same with CSKA being dominant yet having no chance against SKA. And this year SKA has very strong numbers as well but it wasn't always like that.

That's because you can fire perimeter shots at will on the big ice and it has no direct correlation to goals meanwhile on the NHL ice amount of traffic in front of goalie means they do, for the most part.

I mean Yugra is 7th on your list meanwhile bottom 5 features 3 playoff teams.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Current outrights odds top15 contenders. Imo Jokerit and ufa have greatest odds to offer. If Ska somehow manages to get early knocked out the championship is anyones to take at that point.

SKA St. Petersburg 2.03
CSKA Moscow 4.69
Bars Kazan 8.25
Metallurg Magnitogorsk 12.56
Jokerit 17.25
Avangard Omsk 21.50
Salavat Ufa 23.00
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl 26.75
Yekaterinburg 40.00
Niznekamsk 50.25
Tractor Chelyabinsk 59.75
Nizhny Novgorod 61.25
Dynamo Moscow 97.25
Red Star Kunlun 101.00
Sochi 107.25
Not going to happen, SKA has been more dominant than ever this season. Kunlun also isn't exactly a top 15 contender as they failed to make the playoffs.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Current outrights odds top15 contenders. Imo Jokerit and ufa have greatest odds to offer. If Ska somehow manages to get early knocked out the championship is anyones to take at that point.

SKA St. Petersburg 2.03
CSKA Moscow 4.69
Bars Kazan 8.25
Metallurg Magnitogorsk 12.56
Jokerit 17.25
Avangard Omsk 21.50
Salavat Ufa 23.00
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl 26.75
Yekaterinburg 40.00
Niznekamsk 50.25
Tractor Chelyabinsk 59.75
Nizhny Novgorod 61.25
Dynamo Moscow 97.25
Red Star Kunlun 101.00
Sochi 107.25
Amazingly good odds for Sochi. Jokerit will most likely face Sochi in the first round (which is a pure nightmare). Next round would be SKA, where they won both games this season. Conference finals against CSKA would probably be the toughest challenge but the confidence boost of possibly beating both Jokerit and SKA in the playoffs could for sure take them to the Gagarin Cup finals.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Random question here, but a few years on what have you Jokerit fans thought of the move to the KHL?
First season was clearly the best. Good hype and a good first playoff round. Second season was fun but ended bad. Third season was garbage, and this season has been decent, possibly the best chance to at least reach the conference finals, but it feels like people are getting a bit fed up of the KHL. The only reason this season (from an attendance point of view) has been decent is because of the 50 year anniversary.

I know that the KHL has longterm expansion plans but if they don't make games and teams more interesting anytime soon, I would actually prefer to go back to Liiga when the five year deal has ended, or at least make jointed Nordic league (which is just a utopia). My friends and I are pretty tired of watching crappy Russian teams.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Jokerit juniors are left out in the cold right now too. They have to find another organization to play Liiga, or go abroad.

There's been a pretty dramatic rise in junior-age players going abroad/overseas the last few years anyways. I don't know how much of a coincidence that can be

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
First season was clearly the best. Good hype and a good first playoff round. Second season was fun but ended bad. Third season was garbage, and this season has been decent, possibly the best chance to at least reach the conference finals, but it feels like people are getting a bit fed up of the KHL. The only reason this season (from an attendance point of view) has been decent is because of the 50 year anniversary.

I know that the KHL has longterm expansion plans but if they don't make games and teams more interesting anytime soon, I would actually prefer to go back to Liiga when the five year deal has ended, or at least make jointed Nordic league (which is just a utopia). My friends and I are pretty tired of watching crappy Russian teams.

I've never been a KHL fan and don't watch the league's games like at all (I follow scores and stats, though), but it's kinda weird to hear this from a fan of a team, that can't beat Dinamo Riga at home ice. Jokerit played great untill the end of November, but then the team hitted a wall and hasn't looked like a top team since that.

Of course, playoffs usually change a lot, and teams start to play a totally different hockey, but right now Jokerit's playoff perspectives don't look very bright.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
From my view the crappy Russian teams have been surprisingly good and entertaining to watch. Teams like Vitjaz, Sochi and Amur skate well, defend well and have a high energy game all around. Much better than the trappy slow-footed Liiga style of game, though I haven't watched much of Liiga this season.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What can actually help the team and the league overall is hard salary cap. Jokerit won't lose a lot, if lose at all. And teams like SKA, CSKA, Ak Bars and many others will become much weaker.

Of course, those teams quietly oppose the change, trying to make it totally irrelevant, with rules like taking national teams players out of the salary cup. I hope, they will fail. I think 2 stars rule is enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exarz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jokerit juniors are left out in the cold right now too. They have to find another organization to play Liiga, or go abroad.

There's been a pretty dramatic rise in junior-age players going abroad/overseas the last few years anyways. I don't know how much of a coincidence that can be

It's more evident at Jokerit A-juniors. It's no surprise they're in relegation qualifying now. Younger age groups have soem talent and decent coaching but after B-juniors, the players bolt to other junior clubs or even Liiga clubs aor North America. A-juniors SM-Liiga apparently is somewhat of a mess/low quality anyway these days and the more talented kids are played at Mestis more.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I've never been a KHL fan and don't watch the league's games like at all (I follow scores and stats, though), but it's kinda weird to hear this from a fan of a team, that can't beat Dinamo Riga at home ice. Jokerit played great untill the end of November, but then the team hitted a wall and hasn't looked like a top team since that.

Of course, playoffs usually change a lot, and teams start to play a totally different hockey, but right now Jokerit's playoff perspectives don't look very bright.
How losing to Dinamo Riga is relevant is not understandable to me. Riga is not a Russian team and should stay in the league by all means. Yes, it was a pure garbage game from Jokerit's point of view, but no matter if you win or lose against poorer teams, the opposing team is not just as fun. Neftekhimik, Yugra, Severstal, Lada and Vityaz, are all hopefully gone soon which would make the scenario better. But playing against Amur, Admiral, Traktor and Avtomobilist, Sibir still don't mean anything.

Hopefully they change this divisional format as soon as possible so there will be less games against these teams.

Reactions: Urbanskog

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
From my view the crappy Russian teams have been surprisingly good and entertaining to watch. Teams like Vitjaz, Sochi and Amur skate well, defend well and have a high energy game all around. Much better than the trappy slow-footed Liiga style of game, though I haven't watched much of Liiga this season.
There has been no problem with the quality on the ice. The Russian style of play is a lot more entertaining than both the Swedish and Finnish, the problem lays in the non-emotional games that are just too many as of right now.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Some rumors in finnish hockey forum (jatkoaika.com) that Harkimo might leave, or maybe have already left the team. In KHL section, under the topic "Hjallis Harkimo - the devil or a genius?" user Cobol speculate with the situation. Apparently all started with Harkimos blog entry in iltalehti, where his says that maybe his time (in Jokerit) is up and is worried about Jokerit future.

Rumors says that either chinese or russians will take the team to run and will bring own players with them. Rumors also say that they are now negotiating about the brand and the name. Apparently Jokerit brand is owned by the junior team and the senior team has rent it from them.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's a known phenomenon: people prefer, that their teams win in weaker leagues, than lose in stronger ones. Even if it's leagues A ans B of the same counry. Usually, when the team leads league B and then transfers to league A and sucks, its attendance drops.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Rumors says that either chinese or russians will take the team to run and will bring own players with them. Rumors also say that they are now negotiating about the brand and the name. Apparently Jokerit brand is owned by the junior team and the senior team has rent it from them.
Hjallis will most likely sell his shares, however I find it very unlikely that a new majority owner would do any major changes to the club. Bringing several Russian players to Jokerit would just make people lose interest in the team, because it would be more of a Russian team than a Finnish one. And you can imagine what a potential rebranding would do... Plus, Jokerit is one of the league's flagships and the reason potential established Western clubs might be interested in joining the league. Messing with Jokerit's brand would just be a kiss goodbye to future expansion plans.

If any case of rebranding is about to happen, the negotiations are most likely that the junior team hands over the Jokerit brand and they change their name to something similar to Jokerit, like the clubs in the MHL have similar names to their senior teams.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Hjallis will most likely sell his shares, however I find it very unlikely that a new majority owner would do any major changes to the club. Bringing several Russian players to Jokerit would just make people lose interest in the team, because it would be more of a Russian team than a Finnish one.

Well it sounds weird, but if we have learned anything by now, it is that anything is possible with the russians. And perhaps they don't intent to bring whole team of russian players, but just more than now. Maybe they will take cheap finnish players for 2. , 3. and 4. line and then bring five overpaid russians to the first line.

And you can imagine what a potential rebranding would do... Plus, Jokerit is one of the league's flagships and the reason potential established Western clubs might be interested in joining the league. Messing with Jokerit's brand would just be a kiss goodbye to future expansion plans.

Yes, it might bring big problems with it, but then again, it might as well be an opportunity. Jokerit has not become the team for whole Finland, so could something like Lev Finlandia work better? Lev = Lion -> so more or less a same kind of brand with the national team.

If any case of rebranding is about to happen, the negotiations are most likely that the junior team hands over the Jokerit brand and they change their name to something similar to Jokerit, like the clubs in the MHL have similar names to their senior teams.

Hopefully that junior team will keep the brand and the name and continue to rent it (if they own it). Maybe with a better price, because we all know that those russians "pockets" are deeper than Harkimos.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Hjallis will most likely sell his shares, however I find it very unlikely that a new majority owner would do any major changes to the club. Bringing several Russian players to Jokerit would just make people lose interest in the team, because it would be more of a Russian team than a Finnish one. And you can imagine what a potential rebranding would do... Plus, Jokerit is one of the league's flagships and the reason potential established Western clubs might be interested in joining the league. Messing with Jokerit's brand would just be a kiss goodbye to future expansion plans.

If it's players of, say, Khokhlachev's calibre, I doubt Jokerit fans will be too upset. The problem is, there is no chance good Russian players will come to play for Jokerit. Not with its salary budget and local tax level.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Yes, it might bring big problems with it, but then again, it might as well be an opportunity. Jokerit has not become the team for whole Finland, so could something like Lev Finlandia work better? Lev = Lion -> so more or less a same kind of brand with the national team.
Not going to happen. Not a chance in hell. Messing with Jokerit's identity like that would not be an opportunity, it would create the biggest outburst European hockey has ever seen. You can't change a team's identity like that, especially not the most popular team in Finland. Attendance would drop to below 4000, I can guarantee that.

Plus, as I stated in my earlier post, if you mess with a team's identity like that, the league can kiss goodbye to any future established team in wanting to join the KHL. No team wants to risk their whole identity to play at a higher level. It would just be a laughing stock.

Reactions: TommySalo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad