Johnsson or Kapanen your choice

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
If pressed, Kapanen in, Komarov in, Johnsson a Black Ace, n'est pas?

Keep building that desire in Johnsson. Next year, he looks to be a permanent fixture. If Komarov is ready to go, he's a player that courts playoff punishment and is fantastic at provocation. I think he's got some fuel left in the tank, but more importantly, we can't rule out being strategic with Andreas Johnsson. If/when Komarov goes down, or in the event another player goes down, obviously it's Andreas Johnsson that's coming in first, but not merely in relief, but as a kind of super-sub...That's a great card to be able to play

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
In regard to my argument, consider this; Last season we had a revolving door at 4C and eventually used a 2nd to get Boyle.
This season Babs showed he really didn't trust Moore to be the 4C. Eventually, we spend a 2nd on Plek.

If Leo were a C, wouldn't he have been the 4C since last season and we didn't have to deal 2, 2nds to fix that problem?

Leo is not a C.
Your argument is stronger than mine by far. Mine is based on a memory that Leo has played centre and thinks his style of play would make him good at the position.
I'm mvng in the the johnsson over brown side now haha

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Your argument is stronger than mine by far. Mine is based on a memory that Leo has played centre and thinks his style of play would make him good at the position.
Nah.
Johnsson will have a spot next season. He's an extra for now.
Also, I think Brown is now and will always be better than AJ.

But AJ and Plek with Kappy sure look like an amazing 4th line.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The Bozak line is working right now so benching Brown seems counterproductive

I like Komarov but if he's not good enough to justify sitting Johnsson or Kapanen he should sit in the PB, this is pro sports it should be a meritocracy
I guess it also depends on what you feel is meritous.
Leo has put a lot into this team very the years and is no hurting us when he's on the ice so does the shinny new toy, who is good, merit the spot over someone that's given you years of work?

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Gonna need Leo's jam in the playoffs. Need someone grinding and agitating, killing penalties, and experience.

Komarov probably won't be back next year, and Johnsson will have an opportunity to solidify a spot then. He'll be battling with Grundstrom, however.

The competition for spots on the wing is going to be the story of camp next year.

Hit it right on the nose.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nah.
Johnsson will have a spot next season. He's an extra for now.
Also, I think Brown is now and will always be better than AJ.

But AJ and Plek with Kappy sure look like an amazing 4th line.
I give AJ skating, shooting and finding the open areas over brown while I think they are equal defensively.
Why do you think brown will be better?

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The Bozak line is working right now so benching Brown seems counterproductive

I like Komarov but if he's not good enough to justify sitting Johnsson or Kapanen he should sit in the PB, this is pro sports it should be a meritocracy

I would rather the veteran over Johnsson. This very-well could be Leo's last hurrah..could be interesting.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I guess it also depends on what you feel is meritous.
Leo has put a lot into this team very the years and is no hurting us when he's on the ice so does the shinny new toy, who is good, merit the spot over someone that's given you years of work?

I don't care what he's done in the past all I care about is who helps us to win more right now

You still have to be able to justify playing one guy instead of the other and I just don't think you can at the moment

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't care what he's done in the past all I care about is who helps us to win more right now

You still have to be able to justify playing one guy instead of the other and I just don't think you can at the moment
But leo does do things that help us win. Killing penalties is very important. Shutting down other players is also a bonus.
So he does help whereas Martin did not and is now sittng

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I give AJ skating, shooting and finding the open areas over brown while I think they are equal defensively.

Because I know that line works, since Brown got there that line has been hot

If it ain't broke don't fix it

I would rather the veteran over Johnsson. This very-well could be Leo's last hurrah..could be interesting.

Komarov's veteranosity shouldn't be the only thing he's got going for him though, he's a good PK player no doubt but he's bringing almost nothing 5v5

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'd rather Leo stay on the sidelines, lol.

Seriously though, the lineup is just much more dangerous without him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But leo does do things that help us win. Killing penalties is very important. Shutting down other players is also a bonus.
So he does help whereas Martin did not and is now sittng

I agree on the PK point but he's killing any line he's on 5v5 offensively and I'm pretty sure when we have used him in that "shutdown" line role this season the Kadri line has gotten murdered essentially

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It was maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I think it may have been before Babs as well.
I remember Jonas (I think) saying he asked Leo about it and he said he didn't like it.

ok, I cant remember that but you have no reason to make that up. If that's the case well its sucks because going from Johnsson-Plek-Kap to Komarov-plek-Kap is a serious downgrade

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He's smarter.
Brown is one of those guys who, if you looked at all his physical assets, you'd think he would be a house leaguer.
Yet this is a guy who won and OHL/CHL and AHL Rookie scoring titles.
The man can simply play.
He also has 2 years experience.

At the very least, don't bet against him being better.
I do like AJ though.

Once

Jul 16, 2010

Komarov's veteranosity shouldn't be the only thing he's got going for him though, he's a good PK player no doubt but he's bringing almost nothing 5v5

Play Leo during away games for Babs matchup, Johnsson at home?

I personally like the veteran for experience and his initiative to play a physical/agitating game. Leo thrives in the post-season and Leo-Pleks-Kaps is essentially another shutdown line for Babs.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

My questions n was just about comparing the players and not if we should switch them.
On that note however, brown has been MIA most shifts on that line. Jvr has been in beast mode and looks like he could go 1 on 5 some shifts haha
Honestly though brown really has only been a warm body out there

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think people are so focused on grit that they're just completely ignoring that komarov isn't that good at hockey. Grit is important, but only if it's not literally the only thing a player offers. Sadly in komarov's case, it is

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
ok, I cant remember that but you have no reason to make that up. If that's the case well its sucks because going from Johnsson-Plek-Kap to Komarov-plek-Kap is a serious downgrade
Not sure if you saw my other post but basically, it says that if Komo could be a 4C for us, why did we spend 2, 2nds to fill that role over the last 2 seasons?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

johnsson over brown count me in, brown has been hiding under the radar this year but he has been invisible most nights. 27 points while mostly on lines 1-3 is just not good enough. He has been getting a healthy amount of PP time too. Sit brown let him burn to get back into the lineup. Unfortunately Connor Brown is exempt from Babcockc 'Meritocracy' and will never miss a game or even shift for that matter.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Not sure if you saw my other post but basically, it says that if Komo could be a 4C for us, why did we spend 2, 2nds to fill that role over the last 2 seasons?

I didn't but that makes a lot of sense. Komarov AND plek together seriously take away from how dangerous our 4th line could be. Unfortunately its 100% happening nothing I or anyone else can do about it

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When Leo returns who of these 2 would you rather we keep up?
I would choose johnsson just because he's completely home grown and I've been routing for a while.
I do think Kapanen has a higher cieling so I'm basically just being selfish.
What's your choice and reason?
Imo, all 3 should be in the lineup. Brown is probably delivering the least at the moment, he should be the odd man out.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's smarter.
Brown is one of those guys who, if you looked at all his physical assets, you'd think he would be a house leaguer.
Yet this is a guy who won and OHL/CHL and AHL Rookie scoring titles.
The man can simply play.
He also has 2 years experience.

At the very least, don't bet against him being better.
I do like AJ though.
I like brown a lot too. He has defied the odds as has AJ. I think they could end up very close but AJ has proven himself in the shl the ahl and starting to show it as n the NHL
As for IQ I think AJ has that in spades also. A little guy like that isn't good night to make it on brawn.
I'm happy we have both and ultimately I will look for consistency. This year and last brown has gone MIA for stretches of time, so I would like to see if AJ is more consistent and go from there

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
johnsson over brown count me in, brown has been hiding under the radar this year but he has been invisible most nights. 27 points while mostly on lines 1-3 is just not good enough. He has been getting a healthy amount of PP time too. Sit brown let him burn to get back into the lineup. Unfortunately Connor Brown is exempt from Babcockc 'Meritocracy' and will never miss a game or even shift for that matter.
Maybe AJ is what she needed to sit brown? When did we have before that could replace him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad