Recalled/Assigned: Johnsson and Rosen

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This is interesting with Matthews slated for a return Thursday or Saturday and Zaitsev only sick.

Unless results came back on Zaitsev and it’s something worse

What makes you think Matthews is returning Thursday or Saturday? Yesterday was the last full practice until next week and he was still in a red jersey. Don't you think they're going to want to see him in some contact drills before they throw him back to the wolves?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I happen to agree that Leivo's been given a raw deal by the coach. I guess I should think on it some more before expressing such thoughts

I don't disagree that Leivo's been given a raw deal, or appears to have been so... but then again, we have no idea what is going on in the backroom of the Leafs, or what the discussions are. They have played Leivo and know what he brings to the table. At this point, he has either already solidified himself for the team next year, or isn't part of the plans. One, or two more games aren't likely to change that thinking. In the meantime, they also get to bring in another player, and give him a few games, to see what they have there in the NHL. We are at a kind of meaningless point in the schedule, so it makes some sense, to bring in some players, and test them, as they make plans for the team moving forward....

Last edited:
Reactions: glue

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Shannyplan

Looking back over the last few seasons, they always bring someone up from the Marlies at this time of year to see what they have at the NHL level. Being firmly entrenched in 3rd allows them to take a look with very limited risk of messing up a playoff position push.

Babcock mentioned in his last post game scrum that they need to find a way to get the 2nd PP unit going. Cue bringing up a PP beast from the Marlies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What makes you think Matthews is returning Thursday or Saturday? Yesterday was the last full practice until next week and he was still in a red jersey. Don't you think they're going to want to see him in some contact drills before they throw him back to the wolves?

The last I saw was they expected Saturday (or Thursday if he was practicing today in a normal jersey)

Reporters are now saying next Tuesday.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't disagree that Leivo's been given a raw deal, or appears to have been so... but then again, we have no idea what is going on in the backroom of the Leafs, or what the discussions are. They have played Leivo and know what he brings to the table. At this point, he has either already solidified himself for the team next year, or isn't part of the plans. One, or two more games aren't likely to change that thinking. In the meantime, they also get to bring in another player, and give him a few games, to see what they have there in the NHL. We are at a kind of meaningless point in the schedule, so it makes some sense, to bring in some players, and test them, as they make plans for the team moving forward....

That's fair

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The last I saw was they expected Saturday (or Thursday if he was practicing today in a normal jersey)

Reporters are now saying next Tuesday.
Boooooooooooo

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Zaitsev's illness is probably really bad and they would rather Rosen sit in a press box than Borgman.
Marlies are playing every other day the next couple of weeks, so they likely would rather have Borgman on the ice, if Rosen is just going to be in the press box, but I have a feeling Rosen will get a shot.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
I happen to agree that Leivo's been given a raw deal by the coach. I guess I should think on it some more before expressing such thoughts

has he though? I used to think Leivo wasn't given a real chance but then I realised that he's been barely noticeable in the games he played. When Kapanen got called up, you noticed right away despite playing 4th line minutes. I only notice Leivo on the power play.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Shannyplan

Looking back over the last few seasons, they always bring someone up from the Marlies at this time of year to see what they have at the NHL level. Being firmly entrenched in 3rd allows them to take a look with very limited risk of messing up a playoff position push.

Babcock mentioned in his last post game scrum that they need to find a way to get the 2nd PP unit going. Cue bringing up a PP beast from the Marlies.
That's a good point, if Johnsson sticks around when Matthews returns and improves the 2nd PP unit while being a presence on the 4th line that would be pretty big.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
has he though? I used to think Leivo wasn't given a real chance but then I realised that he's been barely noticeable in the games he played. When Kapanen got called up, you noticed right away despite playing 4th line minutes. I only notice Leivo on the power play.

I don't think anyone would shine with Martin and Moore for 7 minutes a game after sitting for 2 months
Either way, Kap and Leivo have different strengths

Regardless, here's hoping AJ does well

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Why?

He’s got a terrific defensive game. He’s a great fit beside Plekanec and Kapanen, if that’s the plan (I assume we’ll see at practice)
Pleks/Kap/Johnsson would be a legitimately strong 4th line. It'd go from us having one of the worst in the league to start the season to one of the best.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think anyone would shine with Martin and Moore for 7 minutes a game after sitting for 2 months
Either way, Kap and Leivo have different strengths

Regardless, here's hoping AJ does well

Agreed.

I think Johnsson is getting the reward treatment. He deserves it but it's not a promotion. Pretty sure they want to know if they can count on him in a worst case scenario while rewarding his great play, perhaps energize him before the Marlies PO run.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

The word I have is Saturday is the earliest for a return for Matty.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Starring The Toronto Maple Leafs

5162hC5K0FL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Johnsson gives us a versatile, athletic option with two way ability and scoring punch. Would be good to get a player like that to match a Danton Heinen, Yanni Gourde, etc.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
You left out our most important owner. Larry "T is for Tyrant" Tanenbaum . Gotta love all the stories about his interference with GM's in the past. He and the Teachers Pension Plan were the worst of the worst.
Really? Worst of the worst? You seem to not remember the 80s, though I wish I couldn't either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->