Johnson/Kopitar slipping?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by BobMarleyNYR, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobMarleyNYR

BobMarleyNYR Registered User

panhandler
    What do we think the possibility is of Johnson slipping to no. 4? With Pouliot looking more and more like the 2nd overall, would teams pass up Johnson for Brule or Ryan?

Also, from what I've read as of late, Kopitar is generally considered no. 6. But he's a lot like Tukonen and he is Slovenian... can anyone see him falling further into the top 10 or even out of it?

2. HFNHL Canadiens

HFNHL Canadiens Registered User

student
    Last time I heard it was Brule slipping and Johnson and Kopitar rising? :teach:

3. ryz

ryz Registered User

It all depends on who picks where. I'd have to think that if teams like Calgary and Nashville, both with good, young defense got the 2 and 3 picks that they may be looking for an offensive forward. In that case I could definately see Johnson dropping to #4.

4. Red Machine

Red Machine Registered User

Me too...Johnson and Pouliot are fighting for #2, speculation tells me anyway. I would slot Kopitar #4 overall, I see Marian Gaborik in this kid, i just have a feeling he will become a player like him. #5 overall, will be between Brule and Ryan. Some teams will love Brule's feistyness and scoring prowess. While some will dislike his size, and his discipline. Other teams will love Ryan's ablility to dangle through traffic, and power his way through bodys. While some will shy away, as his skating is just not up to par.

1. Crosby
    2. Johnson
    3. Pouliot
    4. Kopitar
    5. Brule
    6. Ryan

also, i dont understand how Kopitar and Johnson could be falling. What have they been up to in the last week or two to all of a sudden drop a few spots?

5. BobMarleyNYR

panhandler
    Not a matter of their performance, just the way drafts work.

6. katodelder

katodelder Registered User

More teams needs defence than don't, so odds are Johnson will go no.2.

This could be the first time in... well as long as I can remeber that there's a good chance a European won't be selected in the top 5. Stunning.

And with all the hoopla over Russia wanting more money from the NHL in transfer fees, its a good bet that no Russians will be taken in the first round. Even more stunning.

7. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    it depends on what order teams pick...if the 2nd team needs a dman then they are picking johnson...

and teams don't go by ISS rankings or stuff like that, so changes in that mean less than nothing when it comes to who teams will actually pick.

8. The Mighty Duck Man

The Mighty Duck Man R-E-L-A-X

Home Page:
    Johnson could definetely slip to even 5th overall, but it depends how the lottery works.

Let's say Columbus gets #1, they'll take Crosby. And a team like Calgary gets #2, so they'll probably take Pouliot. Then, and the next two would be crucial, Vancouver gets 3rd overall. It's almost impossible for them to pass up picking Gilbert Brule. And then, finally, in 4th overall, Philly gets it, and Bobby Clarke will probably select Bobby Ryan. Then, Johnson slips to 5th.

Otherwise, can't see it happening. Not with Kopitar, either.

9. BobMarleyNYR

panhandler
    Yeah, but teams like WSH would give a limb to trade up to 2nd to ensure drafting Johnson.

10. PSUhockey34

PSUhockey34 Registered User

environmental chemist
    Eh I doubt it, we need a dmen like johnson as much as we need a potential 1st or 2nd line center...the capitals might trade up into the top 2 or 3 if need be, but I wouldnt say Johnson is the player the caps are desperately wanting...McPhee loves to draft guys from the 'dub and the fact that we need a center, Brule might be his pick...but that all really depends on where the Capitals end up in the draft order

IMHO Aulin, Klepis, Sutherby, and Bourque have a helluva alot more question marks then Eminger, Morrisonn, Yonkman, Green, and Cutta

11. freakazoid

freakazoid Registered User

Can anyone actually tell me WHY Pouliot is considered for 2nd overall? What exactly did he do this year to rise so much? I've seen him between 6th and 8th last October, and now he's a top 3 pick. He wasn't even a ppg player, not an offencive machine. Yes he has size, and I think he is getting hyped because of it. Kopitar I understand why he came out of nowhere into the top 5. He was pretty unknown until last year and people just started to notice him, and in fact he has the most potential in this year's draft behind Crosby and many recognize that, but Pouliot? What did he do to merit being a top 3 pick? I know Brule slipped from a surefire top 3 into maybe even out of the top 5, but Pouliot confuses me. With the NHL striving to favor offencively gifted players, I'd take Kopitar, Ryan, Brule and even Skille ahead of Pouliot at this point, and I think in the end GMs will follow that trend. By the way, Kopitar might wind up as a lesser version of Jagr, but nothing like Gaborik. Kopitar has some skating issues, but he has the vision and smarts as well as great hands and finishing touch. He certainly won't be blowing past the defence though.

12. flambers

flambers Registered User

I believe it will go in this order

1. Crosby
    2. Johnson
    3. Kopitar
    4. Pouliot
    5. Ryan
    6. Brule

13. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    I *think* it will be: Crosby, Johnson, Brule, Kopitar, Pouliot, Ryan in that order. It *should* be Crosby, Brule, Johnson, Ryan, Kopitar, Pouliot though IMO.

14. Onion Boy

Onion Boy Registered User

Unemployed
    I think Brule has the potential to slip quite a bit on draft day. He probably won't, but he has certain characteristics that might make some teams wary. For example, if he falls to 6, the team picking 6th might prefer a safer pick like O'Marra or a d-man like Staal. You never know.

15. Onion Boy

Onion Boy Registered User

Unemployed
    BTW I think it will probably go like this (not my ranking though):

1. Crosby
    2. Johnson
    3. Pouliot
    4. Ryan
    5. Kopitar
    6. Brule

16. Habsfan 32

Habsfan 32 Registered User

I don't think they ares slipping but like other posters said they might slip on draft day if teams go for the type or players they need.

17. BwayBshirt

BwayBshirt Registered User

Butcher
    personal list:

1. crosby
    2. johnson
    3. kopitar
    4. brule
    5. ryan
    6. pouliot

18. Calgary_Moe

Calgary_Moe Registered User

People, people... this is all academic right now. It'll totally depend on the team picking order and team needs. I could see Rask or Price going in the TOP 6 if the right team with need is there.

Moe

19. wedge

wedge Registered User

teacher
    Crosby won't be picked because teams will be affraid that he will play in the Swiss league

kidding

20. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

I still think Brule should be picked #2 but based on reports by many credible sources, it looks like he'll fall out of the top 3 and maybe top 5.

21. DW

DW Registered User

worker bee
    Home Page:
    I would think it would be the other way around.

22. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    I'd like to see Nashville get Johnson. I think Suter, Hamhuis, Johnson, Weber, Timonen, Zidlicky would make for a pretty good top 6.....

23. HuskyFlames

HuskyFlames Registered User

I think it would be kind of a waste at that point. Basically have top3/4 defenseman playing as #5/6 guys. It wouldn't give them enough icetime to really develop nor would it be fair to them...not getting a real chance. If anything, nashville should draft a large skilled center if one is available at their position.

24. chuckie

chuckie Registered User

Home Page:
    I agree, the last thing nashville needs is another D-man, it's time to get a decent centre or elite winger

25. gallagher

gallagher Registered User

Small Time Publisher
    Home Page:
    I agree. If I had to pick one guy who will slip to the point where the announcers are saying, "This team HAS to take him!" it would be Brule. Last year it happened to Schwartz, and no one could really say why.

I just have a feeling that he'll be the one who slips 5-10 spots farther than most think he will.

I also think that Johnson is going 2d, unless the team that gets the 2 spot is Nashville or Chicago, or some other team that has a bunch of D prospects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.