Johnson #1 in next ISS Rating

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by turbine, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbine

turbine Registered User

Investor
    Earlier in the day I caught the tail end of a conversation with Mark Seidel on Leafs Lunch (Toronto area radio show with excellent guests, despite the local bias) and apparently EJ will be the new ISS no. 1 when the latest rankings come out next week. Man, that was quick...

2. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    No, it will be Taves......he's got a GOLD medal and the other guys don't!!!! :yo:

3. Metallian*

Metallian* Registered User

um....so?

and by the way, his name is Toews

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    But its pronounced Toe-saves.

Great news for EJ and IMO the right call. His upside his huge and there aren't many question marks about his game. IMO this kid is just solid in every area.

5. It's actually pronounced Tay-ves.

6. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    All this time I've been pronouncing it "Man-del-schmidt".

7. faucette78

faucette78 Registered User

THe number one spot is not clear at all. This is a quote from an NHL scout listing Jordan stall as better then kessel and Johnson "Kessel is a one-dimensional talent," one NHL scout said. "No question, you could take Johnson ahead of him. But Jordan Staal (of the Peterborough Petes) is better than any of them. Someone will make a mistake and take Kessel first." http://torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/01/06/1381408-sun.html

The race is very tight indeed.

8. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    Brian Burke-is that you?

9. VOB

VOB Registered User

Home Page:
    I might concede the fact that Kessel may not go first over-but it is way to pre mature to suggest that other players such as Staal will over take him. I am not saying that it is impossible but as of right now, just unlikely.

I like the idea of E. Johnson going first overall though!

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    It was my pathetic attempt at a joke.

11. Anthony Mauro

Anthony Mauro DraftBuzz Hockey

Home Page:
    Where can we see these jokes when Staal is looking like the next LeCavalier or Sundin and Kessel is nowhere to be found? Its all a matter of opinion; I make the mistake of figuring people will be taught at the draft that nothing is concrete. See Pokulok's rise, Latendresse's fall, and TJ Oshie's damn deserved 1st round selection. BTW way to go St. Loo.

12. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager
    You're absolutely right. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not a pro scout, so that says it all about where my opinion fits in.

13. MN_Gopher

MN_Gopher Registered User

medical
    Home Page:
    Kessel would have gone number 2 last year. IMO he is becoming a better player. Like we found out against Sweden hat trick and an assist last year and Norway 5 assists and Alaska Anchorage 7point week end this year. If you are not up to par Kessel will kill you. And on many nights in the NHL their are teams that are not up to par for what ever reason. And he is mangaing to score against other teams. Not just blowing up one game and cooling down for three. He is still getting better and is still growing as a player and a person. His ceiling IMO is still to much to pass up. I think that this draft will go like Boumeister and Nash. Nash's upside was too much to pass up. Top D men are not a dime a dozen but its harder to find a guy to carry a team in scoring.

What really killed Kessel is the way he was used in the junior tourney. Watch a gopher game and he looks much different against better competion.

If Kessel can make Bourque look like a great goal scorer imagine what he could do passing to Nash.

14. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager

I think what Kessel has in his favor are physical skills that can't be taught, such as a great shot, a quick mind, and excellent speed. Yes, his decision making and defensive play leave alot to be desired at times, but those things can be taught or impressed through proper coaching and work ethic. Like I've said all along, Kessel is a player that will benefit greatly from another year or so in college. I think you'll see a much better overall player next year.

15. faucette78

faucette78 Registered User

I absolutely love how kessel plays for the most part. I think he had a good tournament, which leading the tournament in scoring would suggest. I think that expectations were so high on him that everyone expected greatness.

However, the only knock on him that i see (beside defensive awareness and some occasional selfish play) is his board work. He is not physical at all and gets knocked off the puck reletively easily. This could impact him in NHL.

16. Souffle

Souffle A soupçon of nutmeg

Home Page:
    Well that's just the thing. He doesn't strike me as a center. At the WJs, you would know by the time he reached his own blue line whether he was going off on another lone ranger rush, and I honestly did not see him make one good open ice pass. When he was on the ice, he was the transition game, unless one of the Johnsons or Bourque happened to have the puck.

This is not meant as a bash Kessel post. There are already too many of them. I was disappointed in his play, especially not having seen the Norway and Swiss games. But the tournament can skew a perception of a player, and you seem to watch him a fair bit. I've been wondering whether Kessel's play in the WJ revealed some weak hockey sense (ie, one-dimensionality), or whether it was a result of coaching and chemistry and other things.

I mean, I can't believe Kyle didn't make an adjustment and tell Kessel to be more selective with his Kessel vs the Other Team rushes. Or maybe he did, but Kessel didn't listen. Who knows. It seems to me that he was being instructed to just carry the puck as far as he could. When that top unit was out there, they seemed to have a different game plan from the rest of the US lines, which involved some good cycling and generally playing as a unit.

Anyway, even if his disappointing performance wasn't due to hockey sense, he still seems to project better as a winger than a center. Again from limited viewing, he doesn't seem like the guy you want to rely on as the 3rd D to win dirty defensive corner battles. He's exactly the guy you want to spring on the breakout. With his speed and skill, having him cover the points would force teams to back off to prevent breakaways. Also a top center has to have a passing game in transition.

But you've seen a lot more of him, in different contexts too. In your opinion, was he just trying too hard, or was the coaching lousy, or does he lack the hockey sense to be a top center and project better as an elite attack winger?

17. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager

I think the sooner all of us realize that Kessel is a player that won't step directly into the NHL the better. He clearly needs some seasoning.

18. God Bless Canada

God Bless Canada Registered User

Newspaper reporter
    Concur. The best thing that could happen to him is get drafted No. 2 to an organization that will be patient with him, let him return to college, wrack up 70 points and contend for the Hobey Baker. He's eligible for one more stab at the WJC next year, and I think the lessons he learned this year, from both an individual and team perspective, will enable him to have a much better tournament. (Like a lot of his teammates, he did not come close to his potential in the two medal games, and those are the ones that really count). I feel sorry for him if he goes to Columbus. They showed with Gilbert Brule this year that they have no idea what they're doing.

Kessel in the NHL next year could be a train wreck.

19. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager

I totally agree. He's just not physically or mentally capable of making that leap after his freshman year. I think people need to understand that Kessel the PERSON is NOTHING like Crosby or Ovechkin. He's a great hockey player, but doesn't particularly like the spot light and is pretty quiet. He would be best served spending another year in school with his buds, receive some excellent training from Don Lucia, dominate the NCAA, and then look to make his mark as a pro.

20. BobbyClarkeFan16

BobbyClarkeFan16 Registered User

IT Help Desk Analyst
    I think Kessel may have benefitted from playing Major Junior hockey rather than NCAA hockey. Now, before I get flamed by NCAA fans, I'm not saying that NCAA is inferior hockey. I'm saying that with Major Junior hockey, Kessel would be playing more games and would have more of an opportunity to really elevate his game. It seems that with NCAA hockey, unless you're an exceptional freshman who is immediately the team's best player, you're stuck learning on the 3rd and 4th lines. You could pretty much bet that if Kessel were in one of the CHL leagues, he'd be a top line guy and get tons of ice time to really work on rounding out his game. Could you picture if a coach like Sutter were able to work with Kessel? I think the results would be phenomenal.

21. BobbyClarkeFan16

BobbyClarkeFan16 Registered User

IT Help Desk Analyst
    Well, the problem in Columbus is that the owner is such a Doug MacLean fan, he refuses to see that damage that Doug has caused his franchise. As long as the team turns high revenues and people come out to see the trash on the ice that is known as the Bluejackets, he's in no rush to change what's going on. If MacLean were anywhere else, he would have been fired by now. The man is complete joke in terms of hockey acumen. Hell, I could probably do a better job running the Bluejackets than what he's done.

22. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

I think that following Ovechkin, then Crosby and even Malkin his draft year will hurt anyone who ends up in that number one spot. Not just next year but by comparison their entire career. People seem to be forgetting what an average or even below average 'number one pick of the draft' is. There was a reason everyone was so excited for several years prior to AO and Crosby coming out. That Malkin came out then too is simply amazing. Kessel or whoever ends up number one will do fine. But he will have the burden of following the Crosby Ovechkin show. And then have Malkin stomp on his coming out party to boot.

23. jake1

jake1 Registered User

Home Page:
    Here come the flames! Not really, but a few things. First, Kessel has no shortage of minutes at MN. He plays a lot, often with Irmen, MN's best player, and gets plenty of PP time.

Second, some people (most of whom are Gopher-haters, so I'm inviting flames) wonder if Kessel might have been better served at another WCHA school like Wisconsin, learning from Eaves how to play a two-way, team-oriented game. No secret was made of the fact that MN's go-go offense on the big ice sheet appealed to Kessel. It might be more fun for Kessel, and he might win a national scoring title, but he also might not develop as fully at MN as at some of his other choices. Anyway, I don't blame Kessel for his choice, as it does sound more fun.

24. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager
    It makes me long for the day when the U.S. actually has a forward prospect measure up to those guys.

25. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

I'd say the most damage done to the Jackets have been their injuries. Oh, and expecting them to be good in spite of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.