Signing(s): Johnny Manziel signs with Hamilton (CFL)...then traded to MTL...now released

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That's a good one.

NCAA in terms of level of play is not on level with the CFL. CFL is made up of NCAA stars. Most NCAA can't make even CFL rosters. How does this crap keep coming up? It makes no sense. A CHL team is not beating an AHL team even if it has a 17 year old Crosby on it much like an NCAA is not beating a CFL team.
The disrespect for CFL is ridiculous. Yes, best of the best NCAA stars go to NFL, but the second tiers of NCAA stars go to CFL. ANd those players are still damn good compared to most NCAA players.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
As a season ticket holder to the Ticats I honestly like the move. At this point the team is 100% Masoli's, so if Manziel is to start he will have to steal a spot which should be a good scenario for pushing him to play well. The jersey sales and more people in the stands should not hurt thing either.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The disrespect for CFL is ridiculous. Yes, best of the best NCAA stars go to NFL, but the second tiers of NCAA stars go to CFL. ANd those players are still damn good compared to most NCAA players.

No disrespect but keep in mind that it's hard to compete when CFL players salaries being what they are.
This is not the KHL. CFL has what 12 teams?
The turnover ratio is really high as well. Now compare that with the premier NCAA players.
Look at some of the rosters of the major colleges. They are like NFL teams.
Not to mention football is a game played almost exclusively in North America so the best athletes come from Canada and the US. A lot of talented players rather not deal with the CF L because of how physically demanding football is. It takes a toll on the body.
Let's also not forget the ratio rule that the CFL incorpora tes.
Further more
Just look at the QBs in the CF L To see a difference in talent.
The NFL is a QB driven league and the demand outweighs the supply.
The top picks in the draft are expected to be franchise QBs right away.
The Goffs,Wentz,Watson, DArnold's and Mayfiekds are far more talented than what's in the CFL.
The majority of Players in hockey aren t be drafted or signed from the AHL.
THEY come from the OHL,NCAA,QMJHL, and from International leagues.
The CF L is more like the AHL.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I enjoy the CFL but it is 2nd or 3rd rate to football in the US. In any event good luck to Manziel, be interesting to see how he does.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
This nonsense comes up on an annual basis, no matter how often it is dispelled.

The worst team in the CFL would beat Alabama 70-0, and nobody that has actually played professional football thinks otherwise. 2% of the NCAA is good enough to play in the NFL. The next 2% is good enough to play in the CFL. 96% are not good enough to ever make a nickel playing pro football.

Reactions: Rocko604

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No disrespect but keep in mind that it's hard to compete when CFL players salaries being what they are.
This is not the KHL. CFL has what 12 teams?
The turnover ratio is really high as well. Now compare that with the premier NCAA players.
Look at some of the rosters of the major colleges. They are like NFL teams.
Not to mention football is a game played almost exclusively in North America so the best athletes come from Canada and the US. A lot of talented players rather not deal with the CF L because of how physically demanding football is. It takes a toll on the body.
Let's also not forget the ratio rule that the CFL incorpora tes.
Further more
Just look at the QBs in the CF L To see a difference in talent.
The NFL is a QB driven league and the demand outweighs the supply.
The top picks in the draft are expected to be franchise QBs right away.
The Goffs,Wentz,Watson, DArnold's and Mayfiekds are far more talented than what's in the CFL.
The majority of Players in hockey aren t be drafted or signed from the AHL.
THEY come from the OHL,NCAA,QMJHL, and from International leagues.
The CF L is more like the AHL.

And? The worst team in the AHL would beat the Memorial Cup champions by double digits 100 times out of 100. Only a very small percentage of major junior players are good enough to ever play a game in the AHL. Exactly the same with the NCAA and the CFL.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think your underestimating the NCAA and the talent level.
I said The CF L is more like the AHL. I never compared NCAA Division 1 Football to any junior hockey league.
I compare it more to KHL.
The NFL gets the majority of its players from the NCAA.
NHl has several pro and junior leagues to choose from.
If the CF L is also getting its players from the NCAA but not the cream of the crop how can we say the talent of the CF L is better than the Division 1 schools?
I'm not disrespecting the CFL. I wish I could see the games on Tv.
I'm not looking to argue i just disagree.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think your underestimating the NCAA and the talent level.
I said The CF L is more like the AHL. I never compared NCAA Division 1 Football to any junior hockey league.
I compare it more to KHL.
The NFL gets the majority of its players from the NCAA.
NHl has several pro and junior leagues to choose from.
If the CF L is also getting its players from the NCAA but not the cream of the crop how can we say the talent of the CF L is better than the Division 1 schools?
I'm not disrespecting the CFL. I wish I could see the games on Tv.
I'm not looking to argue i just disagree.

Because almost all of the players in Division 1 are not good enough to ever reach the pro level. Yes, there is a small sample of players in NCAA who's talent level exceeds a typical CFLer...and they get drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. What about the other 99% that don't? There are approximately 3000 starters in NCAA Div 1 football, nevermind all the backups and special teamers. If the CFL is only employing players that were among the top 5% of all those players, how can the talent level of a college team possibly come close to that of a CFL team?

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's still a variant of gridiron that he's not used to, he has more than a few skeletons in the closet, and he hasn't played in a few years. Not expecting much from him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Because almost all of the players in Division 1 are not good enough to ever reach the pro level. Yes, there is a small sample of players in NCAA who's talent level exceeds a typical CFLer...and they get drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. What about the other 99% that don't? There are approximately 3000 starters in NCAA Div 1 football, nevermind all the backups and special teamers. If the CFL is only employing players that were among the top 5% of all those players, how can the talent level of a college team possibly come close to that of a CFL team?

I'd even go further than that when you factor in FCS and some of the Division 2 players that are good enough to get a look. Plus, a ton of those depth guys have talent but aren't officially starters. Say, 35 per team times 253 FBS/FCS teams. That's already 8,900 players. Even a team like Alabama is only going to have a max of 5-6 first round picks, which is the record. It's just silly to suggest that a loaded NCAA team would be on the same planet as a CFL team. This is not even considering the physical development you go through with access to pro training programs.

Feb 24, 2017
ncaa???? we are talking mens sports here, enjoy your kids league.
I understand people loving college football, with their allegiances to schools they went to or schools nearby. I can’t inserstand them saying college football is a higher level than the cfl when only a small percentage of NCAA players are even ever good enough to play in Canada.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I understand people loving college football, with their allegiances to schools they went to or schools nearby. I can’t inserstand them saying college football is a higher level than the cfl when only a small percentage of NCAA players are even ever good enough to play in Canada.
You can say the same exact thing about the CFL in regards to the NFL
And the NCAA is a much bigger pool to choose from.

Feb 24, 2017
You can say the same exact thing about the CFL in regards to the NFL
And the NCAA is a much bigger pool to choose from.
I hope you don’t think I’m saying the cfl can touch the nfl quality wise. The nfl gets that top whatever percent of college athletes. The cfl gets the next tier of college athletes. Then the vast majority of college players retire their pads.

If it matters, I am a much bigger nfl fan than cfl fan.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
CFL players are also professionals who train for a living and grown men while ncaa players are still just kids that have to go to school.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Some players aren't good enough to play professionally. But several players in NCAA who are good enough to play in CFL choose not to play there.
IMO the import ratio rule effects the talent level in Canada.
The stars are mostly coming from NCAA college football and the best go to the NFL. The CFL is getting leftovers who are terrific athletes. It's a different game and it's hard to evaluate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->