Value of: John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Tavares has TWO years left on his contract. He will be eligible to sign an extension ONLY WITH THE ISLES next July 1st.

My mistake. I thought it was more but based my response off the original post in the thread. I still stand by the offer having to be absurd to even get the Islanders talking about moving their franchise center.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I'm not sure JT would ever want to sign with his home town team. He's a very laid back, private guy. I don't think his life style would fit in with the pressure of playing in your home town. ESP when he can go anywhere he wants.

It was interesting when he called Chris Botta before the draft and called out the Toronto media. I'm sure that left a sour taste in his mouth.

The original article is gone but this article has the excerpt I needed to prove my point http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2009/6/15/908470/2009-nhl-draft-prospect-preview

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

danfromwaterloo

Dec 16, 2010
He'll get paid in two years, which means you have one year of Matthews until his ELC is up. And if he's as good as Leafs fans say he is, he's going to get PAID coming out of it too. And There is no guarantee Matthews ends up as good as Tavares.

Matthews will end up getting a mid-level deal - 6 years at 6.5M, or thereabouts - unless he obliterates the league. Even prodigious talent like McDavid won't even approach max deals until UFA years approach.

And ELC is three years, unless I'm mistaken.

• Haha
Reactions: capazzo

danfromwaterloo

Dec 16, 2010
I'm not sure JT would ever want to sign with his home town team. He's a very laid back, private guy. I don't think his life style would fit in with the pressure of playing in your home town. ESP when he can go anywhere he wants.

He's playing in New York, which is not so incredibly far off from Toronto in terms of attention.

I would agree, though, that his personality doesn't seem like the type of want to return to his hometown JUST to be home. He doesn't have that Messiah complex. I think if he hits the open market, and Toronto happens to be in a competitive position, then maybe.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Aside from the trade proposals, unless Tavares puts up over 90 points/year in the next two years, there's no way he's worth 12M.

• Haha
Reactions: capazzo

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
He's playing in New York, which is not so incredibly far off from Toronto in terms of attention.

I would agree, though, that his personality doesn't seem like the type of want to return to his hometown JUST to be home. He doesn't have that Messiah complex. I think if he hits the open market, and Toronto happens to be in a competitive position, then maybe.

If he played for the Rangers and not the Isles you might be right. Despite playing in Brooklyn we're not really embraced by the NYC market, they care a lot more about Lunqvist then JT. In Toronto there would be a blinding spotlight on him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The only way Tavares becomes available is if he chooses to become available.

He's as untouchable as you can be in the NHL today.

Reactions: MarkhamNHL

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
God damn these threads are annoying. Can we stop expecting all these damn players to sign with us as soon as possible because they grew up in the area or liked the team? Like jesus the arrogance of some of the leaf fans on here is just astonishing.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
God damn these threads are annoying. Can we stop expecting all these damn players to sign with us as soon as possible because they grew up in the area or liked the team? Like jesus the arrogance of some of the leaf fans on here is just astonishing.

I want to come drink a beer or 8 with you. :handclap:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Matthews will end up getting a mid-level deal - 6 years at 6.5M, or thereabouts - unless he obliterates the league. Even prodigious talent like McDavid won't even approach max deals until UFA years approach.

And ELC is three years, unless I'm mistaken.

Well, the context of my comment was comparing Matthews to Tavares:

Tavares - 2 years until UFA
Matthews - 3 years until ELC ends (or one extra year)

So one extra year. And if Matthews is playing at Tavares's current level by the end of that contract, he's going to get more than $6.5 mil, or he'll either sign an offer sheet or take a 4 year deal that takes him to free agency.

And if we're talking about McDavid, Crosby signed an $8.7 mil deal out of his ELC, and that was under a smaller salary cap. At the time, he was one of the top-5 highest paid players in the league. If McDavid is the next one, he's going to get 8 figures out of his ELC. Because 29 other teams will give him that offer sheet, regardless of cap consequences.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

Media coverage of the Islanders is not even close to the media coverage of the Maple Leafs! :shakehead

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
puUTPZY.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->