Value of: John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If I'm Stamkos and Tavares, I have a little conversation with each other to accept less money and both sign 7 year, 8 million per deals with the Leafs. The endorsement money they will make would be through the roof, and Matthews, Tavares, and Stamkos would be lifting cups over their head like no tomorrow.

But this isn't the NBA.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
We're probably looking at Matthews and Rielly for the Islanders to even consider a deal. Taveres is likely one of the most valuable players in the league despite only having two yearseft on his contract.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
1) Tavares will be more expensive than Stamkos.
2) Islanders aren't in the same cap crunch as Tampa (they clear off Grabovski and Kulemin's contracts the same year Tavares's contract is up).

Tradewise its probably Matthews + Reilly as a baseline to get the Islanders to even stay on the line.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
We're probably looking at Matthews and Rielly for the Islanders to even consider a deal. Taveres is likely one of the most valuable players in the league despite only having one year left on his contract.

Tavares has TWO years left on his contract. He will be eligible to sign an extension ONLY WITH THE ISLES next July 1st.

danfromwaterloo

Dec 16, 2010
We're probably looking at Matthews and Rielly for the Islanders to even consider a deal. Taveres is likely one of the most valuable players in the league despite only having one year left on his contract.

Lol wut?

Sure, if you're looking at talent alone, Matthews plus a little bit. If you consider everything else, not a chance. Sure, Tavares is high-end elite, but his contract situation and the eventual cost of his re-up will make this uneven. He'll get max contract in one year, and Tavares at max contract is nowhere near Matthews at ELC and Rielly at a reasonable salary.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Premise aside, to this fan's credit, Toronto radio has speculated the leafs try to go after Tavares next year. I had never checked myself how long his contract is. Im actually quite surprised its 2 years left. The media has dropped the ball here.

Not that the overall premise is any better.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Lol wut?

Sure, if you're looking at talent alone, Matthews plus a little bit. If you consider everything else, not a chance. Sure, Tavares is high-end elite, but his contract situation and the eventual cost of his re-up will make this uneven. He'll get max contract in one year, and Tavares at max contract is nowhere near Matthews at ELC and Rielly at a reasonable salary.

He'll get paid in two years, which means you have one year of Matthews until his ELC is up. And if he's as good as Leafs fans say he is, he's going to get PAID coming out of it too. And There is no guarantee Matthews ends up as good as Tavares.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Premise aside, to this fan's credit, Toronto radio has speculated the leafs try to go after Tavares next year. I had never checked myself how long his contract is. Im actually quite surprised its 2 years left. The media has dropped the ball here.

Not that the overall premise is any better.

Toronto media dropping the ball? I am shocked!:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad