Injury Report: John Moore Concussed (3/22/14)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Based on the one game he has as a Ranger? Yes.

Based on their NHL careers? Probably. Diaz is better offensively and not any worse defensively. Trouble is you push Klein to the left where he's nowhere near as comfortable. For that reason I'd run with J-Moore for now.

Strålman is gone in all likelyhood so next year Diaz replaces him. J-Moore - Diaz is a decent third paring (if Big Mac doesn't make the team).
Meh. I wouldn't bet that Diaz struggles on the left side anymore than John Moore.

Diaz should get all the PP minutes, anyways, lessening McDonagh's PP workload. McDonagh and Staal can eat most of the ES minutes if Diaz can't handle big minutes on the left side.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Based on their NHL careers? Probably. Diaz is better offensively and not any worse defensively. Trouble is you push Klein to the left where he's nowhere near as comfortable. For that reason I'd run with J-Moore for now.

Strålman is gone in all likelyhood so next year Diaz replaces him. J-Moore - Diaz is a decent third paring (if Big Mac doesn't make the team).

Not sure how confident I'd be with that pairing (Moore-Diaz)...

I would Rather:

Staal-Diaz
Moore-Klein

Moore keeps his partner, Diaz get's the right side

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Again--Diaz just like Stralman is an unrestricted free agent this summer. There is no more guarantee he'll be coming back than there is Stralman.

Moore is a work in progress--has good size and skating. He's an RFA but his cap hit is going to be a small one--probably somewhere between $1.2 mil and $1.5 mil. Diaz I'd guess will probably make anywhere from $1.7 to $2 mil--Stralman I'd guess anywhere between $2.5 and $3.5. Either has the option of going to the team that pays them the most. Rangers have a lot of big ticket contracts--dependent on how much the cap increases and whether or not they buy out Richards they might not have a lot of loose $'s to go around to over 25 year old vet d-men--like both Diaz and Stralman. I seriously doubt they're going to move John Moore. He's 23 years old and he's cheap which is different from being 23 years old and quite a bit more expensive like Del Zotto. DZ will cost $3 to $3.5mil per for Nashville to hold on to. Moore can slot back in to the bottom pair without undermining the cap structure of the team.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Again--Diaz just like Stralman is an unrestricted free agent this summer. There is no more guarantee he'll be coming back than there is Stralman.

Moore is a work in progress--has good size and skating. He's an RFA but his cap hit is going to be a small one--probably somewhere between $1.2 mil and $1.5 mil. Diaz I'd guess will probably make anywhere from $1.7 to $2 mil--Stralman I'd guess anywhere between $2.5 and $3.5. Either has the option of going to the team that pays them the most. Rangers have a lot of big ticket contracts--dependent on how much the cap increases and whether or not they buy out Richards they might not have a lot of loose $'s to go around to over 25 year old vet d-men--like both Diaz and Stralman. I seriously doubt they're going to move John Moore. He's 23 years old and he's cheap which is different from being 23 years old and quite a bit more expensive like Del Zotto. DZ will cost $3 to $3.5mil per for Nashville to hold on to. Moore can slot back in to the bottom pair without undermining the cap structure of the team.

Stralman reportedly rejected a 3x3 offer. He's not getting more than that here. I highly doubt Diaz will get a contract of that size, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect he'll be back and Stralman will be gone.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stralman reportedly rejected a 3x3 offer. He's not getting more than that here. I highly doubt Diaz will get a contract of that size, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect he'll be back and Stralman will be gone.

Stralman's obviously looking for a big score. Maybe you're right on Diaz but you're wrong if you think the Rangers don't have Moore solidly in their plans. He's young with size and skating, cheap, talented and the more players that fall in those categories the more flexibility you have to make other kinds of moves. The Rangers will work with him as long as he provides those things. If and when he gets an RFA contract for the kind of $'s DZ was getting then there will be more required of him. For an RFA to move up the pay scale means that player is going to going to have to take more and more responsibility for improving his own play and maintaing his own position in the grander scheme of things.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Stralman's obviously looking for a big score. Maybe you're right on Diaz but you're wrong if you think the Rangers don't have Moore solidly in their plans. He's young with size and skating, cheap, talented and the more players that fall in those categories the more flexibility you have to make other kinds of moves. The Rangers will work with him as long as he provides those things. If and when he gets an RFA contract for the kind of $'s DZ was getting then there will be more required of him. For an RFA to move up the pay scale means that player is going to going to have to take more and more responsibility for improving his own play and maintaing his own position in the grander scheme of things.

I honestly don't understand why you would get that from my post? I see Diaz as Strålman's replacement, not Moore's.

Wolfy*

I think Moore will spend time in the press box when he returns, along with Dorsett. Carcillo more or less kicked Dorsett out of the lineup, and Diaz will probably do the same to Moore.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think what he was saying is that he doesn't think J. Moore is a good enough defensemen to crack a team like Chicago or San Jose's defense.

I don't think that's what he was saying. But maybe. And Handzus is not the type of center to crack our top 6. That doesn't really mean anything.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think that if the Rangers don't sign Stralman in the offseason it will be with the expectation that McIlrath or Allen take bottom pairing duties next year.

We've spent enough on our blueline, frankly. No need to block development. If Diaz wants to sign on a cheap one year deal you obviously consider it.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think that if the Rangers don't sign Stralman in the offseason it will be with the expectation that McIlrath or Allen take bottom pairing duties next year.

We've spent enough on our blueline, frankly. No need to block development. If Diaz wants to sign on a cheap one year deal you obviously consider it.
I like competition. Allen and McIlrath can have the 3RD spot if they beat out Diaz, or if they beat out Moore, Diaz can slide over. Diaz can also pressure Klein for 2RD.

I don't think Diaz will get more than a 1 year deal. He was traded for a 5th and for Dale Weise this season.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2m

John Moore skated today for first time since suffering concussion symptoms Friday at Columbus on hit from Blake Comeau.

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2m

John Moore said he feels like he's improving each day. Not playing tonight, obviously, no timetable yet for return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad