Player Discussion John Gilmour

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Still too inconsistent. Not as much as before, but goes from a great 1D in the AHL to an average 4D the next period.

You watch him more then I for sure, however in what I have seen I want to see this kid get a chance. Feel like he isn't far off from what we see on a nightly basis. Also don't want the kid to miss his window.

Plus...I'm fairly certain Hank would appreciate a defenseman in front of him that would take offense when he gets bumped/run over in the paint.

Reactions: nevesis

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not a fan of Gilmour because he turns over the puck a lot, but if he's sheltered and keeps it simple, he can keep up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Interesting. I could have sworn Gilmour sucked.

It was funny how quickly that reputation spread on here, even though like 4 posters have actually watched him outside of the preseason.
Well, in defense of the majority of posters here, he DID suck last year. Badly.

This year, his offensive game has taken off, but his defensive game leaves me dubious.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Who has been his main partner in HFD?
Most recently Gilmour is playing with Graves, Gilmour a lefty has mostly played the right side this year, as he also did in college. He seems to actually prefer his offside.

I think ultimately we'll see guys like Pionk, Gilmour and Graves shuttled back and forth. That is the only way to evaluate the play. Graves will get his chance though it might not be in Av's system.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
You watch him more then I for sure, however in what I have seen I want to see this kid get a chance. Feel like he isn't far off from what we see on a nightly basis. Also don't want the kid to miss his window.

Plus...I'm fairly certain Hank would appreciate a defenseman in front of him that would take offense when he gets bumped/run over in the paint.

I do think he will have his chance, but for right now they want to see a different look with the agility/speed type. Graves has a place, we just need to shed some of the dead weight.

Hopefully Staal retires, Holden is traded, and Kampfer is riding a bus back to the AHL.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
Thinking Graves will get his chance. He has improved each level but has kind of hit a plateau. Cannot believe he'll not get a look soon. He is not nearly as slow as McIlrath and can pass / shoot. Not sure what the constraints are other than Hartford has been a poor team. Think he'd be a good third liner and his underdog status reminds of Sauer. Sauer was too slow and became a revelation until Phaneuf ended his career.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Sorry but other than size there’s nothing much about Graves that tells me he’s an nhler. Just doesn’t skate well enough. Takes forever to get his shot away. And frankly hasn’t been very good defensively for a defensive dman. I don’t think he’s part of the plans at all

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Who’s the odd man out?

ADA has been good. Kampfer Pionk and Gilmore are battling for 2 spots. And I think AV already has Kampfer penciled in one of them

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Just hope people give him a chance and not bash him on the first turnover he makes.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So skating and inconsistencies are keeping Graves out. Wasn't there someone arguing that Graves was a better skater than Day.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Who’s the odd man out?

ADA has been good. Kampfer Pionk and Gilmore are battling for 2 spots. And I think AV already has Kampfer penciled in one of them

I don't think ADA has been good, but he has shown flashes of elite puck-moving talent and I think he should play every game for the rest of the season to try to settle in and prove himself.

The only reason Kampfer should be playing now is if they somehow think they're showcasing him for a trade. Outside of that, f***ing give Gilmour a chance!

EDIT - not saying that you think Kampfer should play either; just that AV shouldn't be playing him over younger guys right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad