Player Discussion John Gilmour

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
A 6'5" 220lb blue line defenseman is super quick and has the agility as a DeAngelo, or Gilmour? Cmon man, it's clear as day when watching him, he's not that.

I have nothing against Graves, and his shot from the blue line is lethal, but management is moving with the rest of the league to stack up and play a fast game which means the defenseman need to be agile, and puck moving.
You also need to have some guys with the ability to clear the front of the net, which has been one of our biggest problems defensively.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You also need to have some guys with the ability to clear the front of the net, which has been one of our biggest problems defensively.
Need to have defensemen who actually patrol the crease 1st... not chasing guys into corners and behind the net.

But we play a "pressure" game... i.e. our goalies feel ALLLLLLLLLLLL of the pressure

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A 6'5" 220lb blue line defenseman is super quick and has the agility as a DeAngelo, or Gilmour? Cmon man, it's clear as day when watching him, he's not that.

I have nothing against Graves, and his shot from the blue line is lethal, but management is moving with the rest of the league to stack up and play a fast game which means the defenseman need to be agile, and puck moving.

Thats not what you said. You said he's slow, I think thats different than comparing his agility to guys who are like 5 inches shorter than him.

Management so far has sucked at evaluating defensemen, in my opinion. This is my biggest worry with this management group. Look at the moves they've made. They blame the defensive struggles from the last few seasons on terrible corsi player Girardi, and to a lesser extent Klein. Those two go, Girardi's playing better than nearly all of our defense this season. Who have they brought in? Big contract to Shattenkirk, one of the premier OFD in the league who the advanced stats insist can defend well. Big contract to Smith who the corsi stats thought was very underrated and deserved a bigger role. They waived him less than a year into his contract because they watched him play, and saw what Detroit fans have been claiming for years that the corsi numbers didn't properly evaluate his play. Trade for DeAngelo who's another who's pretty much offense only. 5'11 PMD Pionk, 5'11 OFD Gilmour get recalled instead of a better hockey player in Graves. Big defenseman Bereglazov got absolutely no chance in preseason with this awful defensive core we are throwing out there.

Its one thing to diversify what was a pretty old, slow and poor offensive blue line. I think everyone would agree that needed to happen. Its completely dumb in my opinion to go so polar opposite that you leave yourself without players who can defend. Our biggest problem this season is ability to defend from the defenseman. I have little faith in Gorton's ability to reconstruct a good defense. This call up is not that big of a deal, we are tanking anyway, but I think the last three defensive call ups are a symptom of the problem with Gorton's inability to reconstruct a defense. I should probably make this larger point in another thread, but I think we are seeing how he wants to construct a defense.

Last edited:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Thats not what you said. You said he's slow, I think thats different than comparing his agility to guys who are like 5 inches shorter than him.

Management so far has sucked at evaluating defensemen, in my opinion. This is my biggest worry with this management group. Look at the moves they've made. They blame the defensive struggles from the last few seasons on terrible corsi player Girardi, and to a lesser extent Klein. Those two go, Girardi's playing better than nearly all of our defense this season. Who have they brought in? Big contract to Shattenkirk, one of the premier OFD in the league who the advanced stats insist can defend well. Big contract to Smith who the corsi stats thought was very underrated and deserved a bigger role. They waived him less than a year into his contract because they watched him play, and saw what Detroit fans have been claiming for years that the corsi numbers didn't properly evaluate his play. Trade for DeAngelo who's another who's pretty much offense only. Small PMD defenseman Pionk is a big priority, Gilmour gets recalled instead of a better hockey player in Graves. Big defenseman Bereglazov got absolutely no chance in preseason with this awful defensive core we are throwing out there.

Its one thing to diversify what was a pretty old, slow and poor offensive blue line. I think everyone would agree that needed to happen. Its completely dumb in my opinion to go so polar opposite that you leave yourself without players who can defend. Our biggest problem this season is ability to defend from the defenseman. I have little faith in Gorton's ability to reconstruct a good defense. This call up is not that big of a deal, we are tanking anyway, but I think the last three defensive call ups are a symptom of the problem with Gorton's inability to reconstruct a defense. I should probably make this larger point in another thread, but I think we are seeing how he wants to construct a defense.
I'm anticipating a Gilmour-Kampfer shutdown pairing.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Yeah well Gary Sanchez came up and almost carried the team by himself. I don't think the Rangers have that level of talent in the system.
No, not quite. The thought was though, that they'd collapse and be under .500 for the first time since 1992. That didn't happen.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Interesting. I could have sworn Gilmour sucked.

It was funny how quickly that reputation spread on here, even though like 4 posters have actually watched him outside of the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad