John Forslund Added to OLN

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Hurricane play-by-play talking head John Forslund has been added to the OLN stable.

From the Raleigh News & Observer. Doesn't say much, other than that Doc will remain the #1 guy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That was a Penalty Kill of Consequence.

Seriously though, good move for OLN. The guy has one of the best voices in the game and when given the chance to take off the homer glasses can be an exceptional anouncer. We'll see how he shapes up as an ONL anouncer, but they picked a solid guy, as long as Tripp isn't around to comment about "lower body injuries".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
John Forslund is pretty good. He's done auditions for ESPN before doing playoff games, I think he called Vincent Lecavalier's first NHL game for ESPN too.

I'd like to see a west coast guy added.

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
just as long as that person is not named Brian Hayward

Or Jim Fox, from the standpoint of West Coast announcers I would not like to see on OLN.

Forslund is one goofy looking dude. I guess his announcing is all right, but I need to hear him sans Tracy to make a final judgment.

Last edited:

Voice of Reason

Jul 6, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
I can't stand Forslund. He (and Darryl Reaugh) used to do Whaler games here in CT. He was a perfect fit for the Whale: mediocre broadcaster covering a mediocre team.
On the upside, he was much less excruciating than ol' Darryl.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can't stand Forslund. He (and Darryl Reaugh) used to do Whaler games here in CT. He was a perfect fit for the Whale: mediocre broadcaster covering a mediocre team.

darryl was awesome. seeing how he's gone on to espn and dallas, as well as a few video games id say your in the minority there. i could never stand forslund, myself - until they paired him with tripp. now i think forslund is the bomb.

Voice of Reason

Jul 6, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
darryl was awesome. seeing how he's gone on to espn and dallas, as well as a few video games id say your in the minority there. i could never stand forslund, myself - until they paired him with tripp. now i think forslund is the bomb.
Couldn't stand him. Not so much what he said, but his speaking manner. He had a bad habit of stressing the wrong words in sentences. Hard to listen to.
I was a broadcast journ major. maybe I'm too picky with that stuff.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
he is the author of....
"tweak tweak....twiddle twiddle....montreal has a goalie with a hole in the middle".

ive been a fan ever since. i also was at his one career shutout against philly. it was my birthday. i have no idea why i remember that.

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004

All his ESPN and video game gigs mean is that the people who make decisions on who to hire for those things like him. ESPN didn't do polling of the masses or conduct a focus group before hiring Reaugh.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Aren't Gary Thorne and Bill Clement the voices of NHL 07? Shouldn't this be proof enough of the previous poster's point?

GWhale*

Forslund also worked with Bill Gardner when Reaugh left.

And before that he did commentary with Chuck Kaiton, the Whalers' radio announcer.

His hiring at TV play-by-play was result of the insane decision by inept Whalers management to fire Rick Peckham and Gerry Cheevers in order for the television broadcasts to 'skew younger'. I honestly don't mind Forslund, but Peckham was just legendary and shouldn't have been fired.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
All his ESPN and video game gigs mean is that the people who make decisions on who to hire for those things like him. ESPN didn't do polling of the masses or conduct a focus group before hiring Reaugh.

im just saying that darryl was pretty popular from what i remember, and i certainly never heard other whaler fans disapproving as much as the other poster did. eveyone hated forslund, and loved reaugh. as for the last post, i agree - peckham and cheevers were my favorite tandem aside from jd and sam. rick was a great play by play guy, and i loved cheevers stories. the guy would go on and on - i couldnt help but laugh. he had a story for everyone. i still remember when he said "you gotta hit that rosie ruzicka....he's a chicken...he'll fly south."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->