John Davidson on 1050 ESPN radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
me2 said:
They might make an exception for the start of this season on the proviso that the releasing team doesn't pick up player as UFA. Otherwise I'd agree with buyout counting under normal operation.

Or Philly could trade LeClair and Amonte with enough money to cover ~66% of their salaries to Pittsburgh or Nasville for "future considerations". Then Philly loses their salaries, Pittsburgh gets $11.4m in salary ($15m less 24%). Its not that different an idea from the NHLs forced draft of over priced players.

We had this discussion before in a different thread before (we meaning the board, not you specifically). Pittsburgh did not position itself for this CBA so well to become a garbage dump for teams who did not. We would not take LeClair for $9 million when he is producing 24 goals and 55 points. At that salary that is a garbage player if I ever heard of one. Don't you think that we could spend 11.4 million better? Philly will be stuck with a player like LeCalir UNLESS they really 'pay' us to take him off their hands. And them giving us money to pay the salary means diddly. He will count against the Cap and we could use that Cap room much better, and we can afford $32 million thank you very much, we have had salaries that high before, and higher, not long ago, in 2002. Get a new arena, slots and we can easily make $42 million. I am talking a first and a top prospect.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
We had this discussion before in a different thread before (we meaning the board, not you specifically). Pittsburgh did not position itself for this CBA so well to become a garbage dump for teams who did not. We would not take LeClair for $9 million when he is producing 24 goals and 55 points. At that salary that is a garbage player if I ever heard of one. Don't you think that we could spend 11.4 million better? Philly will be stuck with a player like LeCalir UNLESS they really 'pay' us to take him off their hands. And them giving us money to pay the salary means diddly. He will count against the Cap and we could use that Cap room much better, and we can afford $32 million thank you very much, we have had salaries that high before. Get a new arena, slots and we can easily make $42 million. I am talking a first and a top prospect.

The Flyers could buy LeClair out for $6.1 million as of today if the deal is signed ..... they were thinking about doing it last year when it was $18 million, it will be done.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Smaller market teams need not necessarily take castoffs from the teams over the cap to meet the CBA's floor. There remain a significant number of UFAs of various skill sets, abilities and price ranges that are unsigned. In some cases, buyouts could remain the only viable options to be rid of certain players... John Leclair being the one that immediately comes to mind.

I don't expect the amount of salary that needs to be dumped league-wide to be very high, though. Too many people are not factoring the rollbacks into these scenarios. Teams will not have to dump very much, and they will not dump very high quality players to get under the cap. The feeding frenzy for smaller market teams will be among the UFAs, not the dumped players.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
The Flyers could buy LeClair out for $6.1 million as of today if the deal is signed ..... they were thinking about doing it last year when it was $18 million, it will be done.

Will that $6.1 million count against a $42 million Cap I wonder?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jaded-Fan said:
We had this discussion before in a different thread before (we meaning the board, not you specifically). Pittsburgh did not position itself for this CBA so well to become a garbage dump for teams who did not. We would not take LeClair for $9 million when he is producing 24 goals and 55 points. At that salary that is a garbage player if I ever heard of one. Don't you think that we could spend 11.4 million better? Philly will be stuck with a player like LeCalir UNLESS they really 'pay' us to take him off their hands. And them giving us money to pay the salary means diddly. He will count against the Cap and we could use that Cap room much better, and we can afford $32 million thank you very much, we have had salaries that high before, and higher, not long ago, in 2002. Get a new arena, slots and we can easily make $42 million. I am talking a first and a top prospect.

Don't forget the reported NHL plan was to force low payroll teams to take players like LeClair from Philly via an auction (ie every round the selling team pick up more of the salary). LeClair might only cost $1.5-2m in real money + what Philly gives. Lets say they did pick up Leclair and he takes up $7m worth of cap that takes their total effective salary to what? $20m after rollback? They would still have $20+m worth of cap space. LeClair's contract will be long gone before the Pengs get a new arena or anything else. It's not like being stuck with Yashin's 9 year deal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
me2 said:
Don't forget the reported NHL plan was to force low payroll teams to take players like LeClair from Philly via an auction (ie every round the selling team pick up more of the salary). LeClair might only cost $1.5-2m in real money + what Philly gives. Lets say they did pick up Leclair and he takes up $7m worth of cap that takes their total effective salary to what? $20m after rollback? They would still have $20+m worth of cap space.

Not being smart, just asking as this is entirely new to me, I have not heard these details, only that there likely would be a dispersal draft. If that is the system, and say LeClair takes up $7 million as a 'first round' pick, but by the time he is picked he is only say $2 million, would Philly be stuck with $7 million against their Cap even if he does not play for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad