John Davidson on 1050 ESPN radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
I was just listening to 1050 ESPN in N.Y. and they had John Davidson (rangers announcer) on the air. He seemed EXTREMELY optimistic at the possibility of a deal getting done. He basically stated what I have been thinking all day since I heard the players have accepted a cap. They have simply come too far to let this blow up now. They are finally " speaking the same language " which is not something that has been done throughout this whole process. Players want 52 mil cap, owners want 40... 46 mil should get it done. Lets all hope

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Hes on WFAN now...

If they make a deal all teams will have to be under the cap by the start of the season. Teams were warned and will not be grandfathered in. He says there will be tons of trades.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
NYRangers said:
Hes on WFAN now...

If they make a deal all teams will have to be under the cap by the start of the season. Teams were warned and will not be grandfathered in. He says there will be tons of trades.

What about the idea of a dispersal draft?

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
NYRangers said:
Hes on WFAN now...

By start of the season, you mean this fracitonal season or the next full season?

mrs9x

Nov 16, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Visit site
The cool thing about a cap system is that more teams can afford more players, thus allowing for more trades. Over the past ten years, we've seen teams sign players to huge contracts, and then can only be traded to other teams that can afford them. Now, if a deal is struck, most teams will be on equal footing to trade.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
mrs9x said:
The cool thing about a cap system is that more teams can afford more players, thus allowing for more trades. Over the past ten years, we've seen teams sign players to huge contracts, and then can only be traded to other teams that can afford them. Now, if a deal is struck, most teams will be on equal footing to trade.

I think there will actually be far less trades since teams have to contend with the cap. This is evidenced in the NBA and NFL, where often a big hurdle is making sure that salarise equal out to a degree.

Now, will there be more trades based on talent only, or primarily, vs. salary dumps? Sure, but I think overall deals will decline.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There will be tons of trades to start, but in the end, there won't be much trade movement. Deadline day won't be as much fun because teams too close to the cap number won't be able to make moves.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jobu said:

?

I do not get the laughter. That had been dicussed as an option. I was wondering if Davidson mentioned it. It makes more sense than 'lots of trades' which sounds a bit chaotic to me:

We're a team in transition, there's no question about that," said Red Wings senior vice president Jim Devellano, who has worked for the storied franchise since 1982. "Our team was old, but that experienced helped us win three Stanley Cups. Now, it's time to move on.

"We're going to go back to our the model from the early 1980s, when we kept our draft picks and developed those players."

Kris Draper will continue to play in Detroit because he has three years left on his deal, signed last summer, and a no-trade clause for the length of the contract. But Draper is prepared to play with a much different team.

"We know it's going to change the team," he said. "Absolutely, no doubt about it. It's sad. If there's a salary cap and they (NHL owners) get what they want, they told us there would be a dispersal draft and players will be shipped away."

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/stories/021505/spo_021505035.shtml

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
?

I do not get the laughter. That had been dicussed as an option. I was wondering if Davidson mentioned it. It makes more sense than 'lots of trades' which sounds a bit chaotic to me.

Like the NHLPA would ever agree to a dispersal draft.

mrs9x

Nov 16, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Visit site
The thing is, more teams will be able to afford players. We all can remember players with huge contracts (ie, Lindros, Jagr) that could only be traded to a handful of teams because of those contracts. With contracts being more reasonable, the number of potential trade partners opens up considerably.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
There will be a 32 mil low point he said. So Detriot will be selling Nashville would buy. He said everyone is informed on this and it will happen before any hockey is played.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Has what he said before had much behind it? there has been scotty bowman saying last month it would get done that weekend, a few others have said other things, just wonder what to make of this. Ranger and NHL heavy in broadcasting but is he a good 'source'? helps to be near the NHL offices too i guess.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jobu said:
Like the NHLPA would ever agree to a dispersal draft.

It was a reasonable question. The laughter shows that you have not been paying attention to the hockey news as much as you like to think you have.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
On leafs lunch Bill Waters, said it's only a matter of time before a deal is done.

He said the 1 pm conference tomorrow can always get scrapped if they're close enough to a deal.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
rekrul said:
Has what he said before had much behind it? there has been scotty bowman saying last month it would get done that weekend, a few others have said other things, just wonder what to make of this. Ranger and NHL heavy in broadcasting but is he a good 'source'? helps to be near the NHL offices too i guess.

i think davidson is one of the only guys in the media worth listening to...he's a straight shooter, and doesn't appear to take sides IMO

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
JD is a real honest and "fan guy". I trust what he says. Hes not a guy who comes on and puts out rumors or breaks stories.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Jobu said:
I think there will actually be far less trades since teams have to contend with the cap. This is evidenced in the NBA and NFL, where often a big hurdle is making sure that salarise equal out to a degree.

Now, will there be more trades based on talent only, or primarily, vs. salary dumps? Sure, but I think overall deals will decline.

Yep ... that's one of the downers of a cap. Unlike the NFL and NBA though, there should be a bunch of teams with cap room if the cap is in the high 40s. That will help.

High spenders might keep their powder dry on their 10% overage exception until the deadline also, using it if they can sniff the Cup, keeping it if they can't. That will help as well.

All in all, though, probably not as many trades.

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
For the trade deadline, you would see low-ranked teams trying to acquire players whose contracts expire (even if the salary is high) so that they can resign whoever is available during the summer... Especially if the UFA age drops down to 29...

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
How the hell are teams like Philly, Detroit, Colorado.... supposed to get their payrolls to $46m before a season would start this year, assuming a deal is reached? If this is the case there are going to be a few teams in A LOT of trouble.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Heres all of it...

He says they are finally talking "the same language".

The league will only go to 45-46 mil tops in his opinion.

They have to get a deal done, otherwise their out of their minds.

Not important but says announcers will jump to other sports, can't afford to sit home.

Thinks they will play.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
NYRangers said:
Hes on WFAN now...

its funny, ive been saying that for months and noone seemed to want to believe it.
if/when they get a deal, between the trading and the free agent signings...its going to be the wildest 10 day frenzy youve ever seen. it will make the trade deadline pale in comparison.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
It was a reasonable question. The laughter shows that you have not been paying attention to the hockey news as much as you like to think you have.

Exactly who, of any reputation, reported this as any real possibility?

As far as I remember, Burke and maybe even Daly have rejected this as a ludicrous idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad