WWE: John Cena taking significant time off; WWE forced to push Ambrose?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
John Cena has been the top star in WWE for over a decade now. There have been injuries, movies, and other breaks here & there along the way, but it appears Cena will require time away from WWE for the last two months of the year.

Cena has been pulled from WWE's European Tour in November and Cena is not scheduled for events at the end of the year, according to multiple reports.

This could all change subject to Vince McMahon deciding he needs his top star if Raw TV ratings remain in historical-low territory or if house show business goes down. However, as of right now, Cena will finish up at or around the Hell in a Cell PPV at the end of October.

Cena's scheduled time off is not injury-related, according to PWTorch sources. The belief is Cena needs time off to re-charge and try to be a catalyst for a Raw TV turnaround next year leading into WrestleMania 32.

The absence of the top star in the company could be a detriment. Or, an opportunity for WWE to focus on other wrestlers and see if they can find break-out stars from the full-time roster to hold up the top line when Cena returns.

Source: PWTorch

Initially, Meltzer reported that it was just from post-HIAC through November. Now it seems to be for the rest of the year.

With sinking ratings, this is huge.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I am fascinated to see how they write him off, because you can't just drop a guy like that for 2-3 months. It's not even like he has a feud now because Rollins is on to other things. The Owens idea I saw on these boards seems alright, though he already no-sold the apron powerbomb. Package piledriver, anyone? Just as a one time only deal....

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
How much more money will they have to give to Brock for Survivor Series and TLC?

They should probably work on getting him an opponent for HIAC.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I am fascinated to see how they write him off, because you can't just drop a guy like that for 2-3 months. It's not even like he has a feud now because Rollins is on to other things. The Owens idea I saw on these boards seems alright, though he already no-sold the apron powerbomb. Package piledriver, anyone? Just as a one time only deal....

Powerbomb him off the stage after he finally beats Cena for the U.S. Title.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Who takes the title off him though ?
Maybe Zayn healed faster than expected, and he can take the title off him ?
Then they ignite the rivalry with Owens, with Owens powerbombing Cena any/everywhere to show what he'll do to Zayn, thus writing off Cena ?

Hopeful thinking
But I'm not sure who will take the belt off Cena

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Owens should answer an open challenge before HIAC and win the title and, like I said, powerbomb Cena off the stage afterwards.

Do a fatal-four way at HIAC between Owens, Rusev, Ryback and Ziggler in a two-fall fatal-four way for both titles (Owens wins both falls and keeps both titles). Eventually Sami Zayn dethrones Owens of a title when he's ready to return.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Owens should answer an open challenge before HIAC and win the title and, like I said, powerbomb Cena off the stage afterwards.

Do a fatal-four way at HIAC between Owens, Rusev, Ryback and Ziggler in a two-fall fatal-four way for both titles (Owens wins both falls and keeps both titles). Eventually Sami Zayn dethrones Owens of a title when he's ready to return.

Okay
Hell to what I said, this idea rocks :laugh:

I'm all for more Owens

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

I know going against Owens is heresy on here, but I don't see what him having both belts accomplishes. Have Cesaro answer the US Open Challenge and finally go over Cena. Just have Owens and Zayn feud over the IC.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Maybe they give it to New Day, have Big E answer and fail, then have Kofi try and he wins thanks to shenangins.

Having Cesaro win would be dope because it gives him something to do and we get to see him more!

Maybe give it to Reigns or Ambrose.. Reigns for a test of having a singles belt, or Ambrose because it will give him something to do that isn't Shield related for once.

I'd like Owens holding two belts also. Or maybe give it back to Rusev.

Theres quite a few possibilities

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
^Reigns would be interesting for that reason to me as well.

Hell why not throw Wyatt in there? It would be interesting to see how they would handle his character with a belt.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I know going against Owens is heresy on here, but I don't see what him having both belts accomplishes. Have Cesaro answer the US Open Challenge and finally go over Cena. Just have Owens and Zayn feud over the IC.

Because Owens is the man and WWE has proven that they couldn't care less about Cesaro or his push.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Maybe this will get WWE's 18-34's to watch a bit more.

What do they do if this helps ratings? When he's not on tv?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Because Owens is the man and WWE has proven that they couldn't care less about Cesaro or his push.

I just don't see the point in having someone hold both belts when one of them can be used to push someone else, especially now when the company needs to start pushing new stars.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
Having Cesaro win would be dope because it gives him something to do and we get to see him more!

Cesaro would work in that clearly Cena respects Cesaro and it could be a cool thing, but given Cesaro has spent the last few weeks in the doldrums...

Oct 18, 2011
the classic WWE move here would have a total plug like stroman beat him, or have someone whos' already established who doesn't need it.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
PERFECT opportunity to unite the IC and US titles. At HIAC, have a triple threat to determine a number 1 contender for the new Unitedcontinental title, and have Owens and Cena fight with both titles on the line with Owens winning obviously.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PERFECT opportunity to unite the IC and US titles. At HIAC, have a triple threat to determine a number 1 contender for the new Unitedcontinental title, and have Owens and Cena fight with both titles on the line with Owens winning obviously.

I don't think there's any kind of appetite to unite the titles.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
I don't think there's any kind of appetite to unite the titles.

Nor should they unite those titles...yet. Both championships (hell it should be said about all championships) need to be elevated. Cena has actually done okay with his US title opens , Owens has a lot of work to do with the IC title but it is in the hands of the right guy.

I don't believe the world champion should be constantly on TV losing , nor should he ever be defending his title on TV , that is what the US and IC titles should be used for. Use the PPV's to defend the world title. Yes have the champ on the show either talkin , the occasional (and I mean occasional) tag match (and either winning or not doing the job to anyone unless it is his PPV opponent).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->