Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
And if they lose Carlson? The talent goes WAY down, no?

That is a 100% true. Still you have to go backwards before you go forwards. There is no re-tooling that will fix this team. The money getting paid out keeps going up just to try to hold on. While the depth gets worse. It suck but I already excepted the fact that if Nick and OV could not put this team on there back five years ago. Its not going to happen now. And Kuz being one of the best players in the league four out of every seven games will not make the difference.

I just pray that don't try to add. There is nothing they can add that will make the difference. They would be just digging the whole deeper.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Giving up John Carlson for 12 games of Steve Eminger, it's bad, very bad. I know Flyers got Carle with Eminger, but Carlson>>>>>12 games by Eminger + 4 years of Carle.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Eh, it's not my money. As long as it doesn't cause us to lose someone down the line.....

It would be a big contract. Good player or not. Important player or not. Irreplaceable player or not. Contracts like that cause you to lose players do to salary cap issue. The Caps had to trade Johansson because they signed Oshie and Kuzy and already have Backstrom and Ovechkin and Holtby.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It would be a big contract. Good player or not. Important player or not. Irreplaceable player or not. Contracts like that cause you to lose players do to salary cap issue. The Caps had to trade Johansson because they signed Oshie and Kuzy and already have Backstrom and Ovechkin and Holtby.

I didn't consider losing Marge a lose honestly.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
If you only read Mr Gone's comments and are not actually aware of reality, you'd think Caps were a basement team or something. :snide:

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. And that is the path this team is forever on. You can name drop guys that have come and gone. You can say this is just another coach that could not get them over the hump. While all that may be true. None of it will give Nick a seconds gear to take over a playoff game. Or make Holtby steal a playoff series. I can go on but you should get the point.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. And that is the path this team is forever on. You can name drop guys that have come and gone. You can say this is just another coach that could not get them over the hump. While all that may be true. None of it will give Nick a seconds gear to take over a playoff game. Or make Holtby steal a playoff series. I can go on but you should get the point.

But what do you want them to do? Just gut this really good team in half to see if it works out or not in 5 years? I think they call this phenomenon "Peeing into the wind." They're not gonna do that to a team that's on top of its division. Come on!

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
But what do you want them to do? Just gut this really good team in half to see if it works out or not in 5 years? I think they call this phenomenon "Peeing into the wind." They're not gonna do that to a team that's on top of its division. Come on!

If it was my call Holtby would have gone this season. Nick would go the next season. And OV would get the option to go after that. All three would have time on there contract. And would bring a kings ransom. At this point the team would be a lot younger with cost controlled assets. And for better or worse we would not know how it was going to end.

Saying they are not going to win the cup is no big prediction. My problem with this core and how it will end again this season with a whimper. I am ok with losing if I felt they went down fighting. Its coming out looking scared or confused when the season is on the line that I hate. And its not the coaches or the game plane. Its the broken core that does the same thing every year.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow Mr Gone....wow. I’d consider a Backstrom move (especially this summer if they bomb out tragically again) but it would likely be a loser deal for the first few years....if we got lucky, only the first few years.

The idea that they should just sell off Holtby, Backstrom, Ovy though to take some flyer chance on a complete rebuild....it’s madness at this point. I have lost my faith that this core can win, but your plan of action damages the franchise financially and the fanbase. I like your stuff most nights for the conversation, but I for one am glad IT’S NOT YOUR CALL. ;)

I’d rather see an offensive coach come in and make one big hockey trade this summer from the core.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Only to be considered after a playoff disappointment, for me.

Mr Gone is an example of a broken fan to me. One of the top teams in the league standings....not good enough, let’s talk firesale.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Only to be considered after a playoff disappointment, for me.

Mr Gone is an example of a broken fan to me. One of the top teams in the league standings....not good enough, let’s talk firesale.

He'll have his chance at a rebuild soon enough and when it happens I imagine he'll be one of the loudest complainers that they're not rebuilding the right way. Rebuilding sucks. I'm cool with them being good and competing for a Cup every year. Hopefully one of these years they break through. If not, they rebuild and try again.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
He'll have his chance at a rebuild soon enough and when it happens I imagine he'll be one of the loudest complainers that they're not rebuilding the right way. Rebuilding sucks. I'm cool with them being good and competing for a Cup every year. Hopefully one of these years they break through. If not, they rebuild and try again.

The smart way to rebuild it to do it before everything you have to move is worthless. Unless you want to be like many around here that think they can trade our trash for something good.

"I'm cool with them being good and competing for a Cup every year." What team are you talking about? A team that cant get out of the second round is not competing for anything. If they are its only in your mind.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Or you do what really good organizations do and don’t have to go through a rebuild. You draft well, make smart trades and retool when needed.

Do you really believe this core can win? Whats different now then when the team had young stars or a lot more talent?

Last edited by a moderator:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Do you really believe this core can win? Whats different now then when the team had young stars or a lot more talent?
Anything can happen in the playoffs. The best team can lose in the playoffs. It happens almost every year. It is very rare for the president trophy winner to win the cup. Not that its a jinx to win the presidents trophy. There is so much parody in the league right now that there us very little separation amongst the playoff teams. It takes more than just a good team to win the cup. You need your team to be playing at their best during the playoffs. You need good goaltending and you need some luck too. I never count any team out until the series is done.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The smart way to rebuild it to do it before everything you have to move is worthless. Unless you want to be like many around here that think they can trade our trash for something good.

"I'm cool with them being good and competing for a Cup every year." What team are you talking about? A team that cant get out of the second round is not competing for anything. If they are its only in your mind.

I'm talking about the Caps. They've been one of the best and most consistent teams in the league year after year for the past decade. Their shortcomings in the playoffs are frustrating and disappointing but if you don't think they've been contenders, that's only in your mind.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I think @CapitalsCupFantasy is right. I am a broken fan. This core represents more disappointment and heartache then anything else. Its to the point the regular season success is like someone giving you a toaster every year for your birthday. I just don't even care anymore. And there have been zero changes that will effect the outcome. Some players come and go. Everyone loves to blame the coach while the only real constant has been the core. And this core is almost as broken as I am. They just don't have what it takes to get it done.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think @CapitalsCupFantasy is right. I am a broken fan. This core represents more disappointment and heartache then anything else. Its to the point the regular season success is like someone giving you a toaster every year for your birthday. I just don't even care anymore. And there have been zero changes that will effect the outcome. Some players come and go. Everyone loves to blame the coach while the only real constant has been the core. And this core is almost as broken as I am. They just don't have what it takes to get it done.

I mean, yeah, the playoff failures suck. Big time. But they only need to breakthrough once for it all to be worth it. I would also just hope you appreciate a little bit what you've seen from some of the core that has disappointed you... Ovechkin is likely the best player that will ever play for the Caps. There's a decent chance that the greatest goal scorer in the history of this sport is playing for your favorite team. Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson, Ovechkin... they'll all be gone soon. Who knows if the players who replace them will be any better. Maybe they'll toil in obscurity for a decade and we'll be pining for the good ole' days of 2nd round exits and hoping to land their next generational player. All I would say is to try to enjoy the journey a little bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad