Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Not good enough apparently.
So what he had one 30 goal season in his career on a line with Ovi and Backstrom and he is in his 10 the season. Hit 60 points once in 10 seasons. And you call that excellence. Your standards are low.
Alexander Semin 4 times reached 30 goals and another time reached 40. Was he considered excellent?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So what he had one 30 goal season in his career on a line with Ovi and Backstrom and he is in his 10 the season. Hit 60 points once in 10 seasons. And you call that excellence. Your standards are low.
Alexander Semin 4 times reached 30 goals and another time reached 40. Was he considered excellent?

Yes, of course he was. Many smart people thought Semin had more raw talent than Ovechkin. He had the best wrist shot in the world for a few years. Semin could have been an all-time great goal scorer. He was elite... he just never seemed to give enough f***s.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Semin used to be an elite player. Didn't last long but at his best, he was one of the 10 most dangerous players in the league.

I don't give a crap about what Oshie did in St. Louis, all that matters is how good he's been in a Caps uniform.

Reactions: ovikovy817

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As mentioned Caps players singled out Oshie in exit interviews to keep. In the past players singled out Semin to get rid of. Oshie has also been money in both playoff seasons.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yes, of course he was. Many smart people thought Semin had more raw talent than Ovechkin. He had the best wrist shot in the world for a few years. Semin could have been an all-time great goal scorer. He was elite... he just never seemed to give enough ****s.
Semin did have more raw talent than Ovi but he wasn't an excellent hockey player. He was a very skilled player with no hockey IQ.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Semin used to be an elite player. Didn't last long but at his best, he was one of the 10 most dangerous players in the league.

I don't give a crap about what Oshie did in St. Louis, all that matters is how good he's been in a Caps uniform.
Like I said he was okon a line with Ovi and Backstrom. When he isn't with them he struggles. I think in a couple years we will be sorry we signed him to an 8 year deal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Semin did have more raw talent than Ovi but he wasn't an excellent hockey player. He was a very skilled player with no jockey IQ.

We'll differ on our definitions of excellent. He was underrated defensively and one of the most dangerous forwards in the league for a few years. He has a career CF% of 54.5% and a career PPG of 0.80. He also had 34 pts in 51 career playoff games. He has Similarity Scores (players with careers of similar quality and shape) comparable to the following players: Claude Giroux, Jaime Benn, John Tavares, Patrick Sharp, Cam Neely, Adam Oates, James Neal, Marty St. Louis, Pat LaFontaine, and Patrick Elias, among others. My opinion: he was definitely excellent whose attitude brought undue negative attention towards him ("Lazy Russian"). In fact, he was so good that the biggest complaint people had with him was that he wasn't more dominant.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Like I said he was okon a line with Ovi and Backstrom. When he isn't with them he struggles. I think in a couple years we will be sorry we signed him to an 8 year deal.

Flawed mentality is flawed and here's why.

Oshie was specifically brought in to play on that line and on the PP because it has been historically difficult to find guys who meshed well there. ALL Oshie did was excel in the position at a bargain price of a $4.175 cap hit for 2 years. You instead attempt to use his great performance his first 2 years in some absurd manner to try and discredit the guy? I don't get some of you "fans".

We all want over performers at bargain prices, but I'll HAPPILY settle for an over performer at a fair market rate.

Not enough for you though....SMH.

Please...keep on reminding everyone "in a few years he could suck".....nobody knows that, but keep your "I told you so" queued and polished up for when it becomes official.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We'll differ on our definitions of excellent. He was underrated defensively and one of the most dangerous forwards in the league for a few years. He has a career CF% of 54.5% and a career PPG of 0.80. He also had 34 pts in 51 career playoff games. He has Similarity Scores (players with careers of similar quality and shape) comparable to the following players: Claude Giroux, Jaime Benn, John Tavares, Patrick Sharp, Cam Neely, Adam Oates, James Neal, Marty St. Louis, Pat LaFontaine, and Patrick Elias, among others. My opinion: he was definitely excellent whose attitude brought undue negative attention towards him ("Lazy Russian"). In fact, he was so good that the biggest complaint people had with him was that he wasn't more dominant.

BINGO. The "does he even care about hockey" stuff was definitely secondary to me and I think I was one of his more vocal critic at times here. As a sports fan, it stings knowing one of your favorites doesn't care enough to turn his natural talents into on-ice (or field) greatness and that was my biggest beef with him. He should have been much more dominant as a player and for that I will forever feel like he was an underachiever in DC.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Flawed mentality is flawed and here's why.

Oshie was specifically brought in to play on that line and on the PP because it has been historically difficult to find guys who meshed well there. ALL Oshie did was excel in the position at a bargain price of a $4.175 cap hit for 2 years. You instead attempt to use his great performance his first 2 years in some absurd manner to try and discredit the guy? I don't get some of you "fans".

We all want over performers at bargain prices, but I'll HAPPILY settle for an over performer at a fair market rate.

Not enough for you though....SMH.

Please...keep on reminding everyone "in a few years he could suck".....nobody knows that, but keep your "I told you so" queued and polished up for when it becomes official.
Problem is that he isn't playing with those guys right now and he sucks. Is that the only way to get production from him?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What, the truth is some profession of love? I happen to think you've got some odd views on hockey is all. I don't think I'm alone in this, but hey, OPINIONS right?!? ;)
Tell me what us wrong with my view. I dont think signing a 31 year old player to an 8 year 5.75 m per season contract is a very good deal. How is that can odd view? I really think we are going to regret that signing. I'm also surprised people are buying into the hype because he has had one 30 goal season in 10 seasons. Do it on a more consistent basis and I'll buy in. Problem is that he is 31. His better days might be behind him.
Just curious if any of you saw him play before he got here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure anyone here thought 8 years was smart. You want to argue what’s been discussed and largely accepted?

His best years could be behind him, but we’re talking about what he’s done so far in a Caps uni. Until the head injury he’s outperformed his $. Argue that.

Yes I saw him play in St Louis more than enough. How is that relevant to him outperforming his contract since the trade?

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Not sure anyone here thought 8 years was smart. You want to argue what’s been discussed and largely accepted?

His best years could be behind him, but we’re talking about what he’s done so far in a Caps uni. Until the head injury he’s outperformed his $. Argue that.

Yes I saw him play in St Louis more than enough. How is that relevant to him outperforming his contract since the trade?
So because he out performed his contract you think we should sign a 31 year old old to an 8 year deal. Like I said I think we are going to regret that signing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So because he out performed his contract you think we should sign a 31 year old old to an 8 year deal. Like I said I think we are going to regret that signing.

How many times do people have to post that “nobody really liked the contract term” for it to sink in with you? Doesn’t change the fact that he’s more than earned his $ so far every year in DC.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How many times do people have to post that “nobody really liked the contract term” for it to sink in with you? Doesn’t change the fact that he’s more than earned his $ so far every year in DC.
I've never seen anyone else post that. I haven't been on this site that long. I also never said he didnt earn his money the first 2 seasons here. He definitely did. Not sure he is earning his salary now and there is a chance it could get worse. I really hope he ends up playing well for us for a long time.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
In large part, the issue with Oshie's contract was the term and the age it was signed. It was one of the deals where you're mostly paying for what the player has done in the past, not what the player will do in the future. It's paying Oshie big bucks for what is highly likely to be the downward trajectory of his career, and doing so for a very long time.

Carlson is a few years younger than Oshie, and should still have some good hockey ahead of him. There's a solid chance you can get more good years out of Carlson's contract than bad years. A Carlson contract should still have significant future value left in it. There are definitely arguments to be made why Carlson could be worth the money it will take to sign him (although that does depend seriously on what exactly that number is).

That being said, the Caps management can't look at Carlson in a vacuum. They need to analyze whether this roster can absorb another XXL-sized contract without becoming too top heavy. They need to evaluate when their window for a best cup chance actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad